Help - cracked frame on bike <1 year old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew Hicks

I'm in a similar situation, but worse. On a Claud Butler Urban 200, the weld at the joint of the seat tube and BB split totally just before Christmas. Bike was bought six years ago in a different part of the country, cannot find receipt - not with manual where I'd left it. Falcon (who own the Claud Butler brand now) are looking into it.... They are quite within their rights/obligations to tell me to go away, so anything beyond that is a bonus. Currently, they are investigating by looking at photos and are civil on the 'phone.
Really galling- everything else bar the cranks and front chainrings are in perfect working order. If I end up having to replace the frame myself, where's a good place to buy one from and what vital statistics do I need? The wheels are 700mm and the forks have 28*250 stamped on the tube inside the headset.
photostream
It has a happy ending. Falcon have offered me a choice of two replacement frames; just going to call now to check my forks will fit and won't be at a funny angle.
Credit to them; they have exceeded their legal obligations here.

It has a happy ending. Falcon have offered me a choice of two replacement frames; just going to call now to check my forks will fit and won't be at a funny angle.
Credit to them; they have exceeded their legal obligations here.

Not really if you consider the whole 'fit for purpose' thang. Whatever their warranty says, whether it's one, two or five years, a run of the mill bicycle frame should last a lifetime given the proper care.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
OK - they've sent a 2012 bike with downgraded groupset (2012 Tiagra vs. 2011 105). I've told them I'm not happy and they're giving me the option of £1000 towards one of their new bikes as listed. It's not a voucher but I can top it up.

Decision time ...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
OK - they've sent a 2012 bike with downgraded groupset (2012 Tiagra vs. 2011 105). I've told them I'm not happy and they're giving me the option of £1000 towards one of their new bikes as listed. It's not a voucher but I can top it up.

Decision time ...
Is £1,000 >= the value of your bike with 105? If so, it sounds tempting to take this opportunity to upgrade! :whistle:

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Why can't you take the 105 stuff off the old frame to put on the new one?

I don't have the bike! It got sent to Madison and they have simply sent a 2012 bike.

I don't have the bike! It got sent to Madison and they have simply sent a 2012 bike.

That would make it tricky then. :whistle:

When mine went, the LBS stripped it down to the frame and only sent that back to Madison who replaced it. The LBS then rebuilt on the new frame with the old bits. I even got new cranks, pedals and chain as I gave it to them without, but it came back with.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
If you really like the bike I would accept it, people I know with Tiagra stuff say its fine. Or take the opportunity to have a complete change if you want to.

Decision time now ^_^

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

If you really like the bike I would accept it, people I know with Tiagra stuff say its fine. Or take the opportunity to have a complete change if you want to.

Decision time now ^_^

Thanks - I'm probably going to go for a new bike. The Ridgeback's been great whilst I went through the weight loss but I'm at a different stage now. Whilst I'd like a De Rosa R838 Athena it's £2500 so I've got to trim back my wishes massively :blush:

Top Bottom