Help - cracked frame on bike <1 year old?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm in the process of cleaning up the Ridgeback. However, I've seen what appears to be a large crack on the frame :eek: :

DSCF1232.jpg

Is this really a crack? It's at the point where the headset meets the bottom part of the frame. If so, I could really use some advice ... the bike was bought last March and so is under a year old and has done about 2500 miles. I've not done anything apart from road use so I'm unsure how it could have got this

Is this normal?
If so, is it likely to be covered under warranty?

Any advice VERY gratefully received. I was supposed to be using this on Saturday's forum ride in the hills!

Attachments

• DSCF1232.jpg
    DSCF1232.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 40
Always hard to tell from a picture but that does look like a crack and for that mileage and age I would be loading it into the car and heading to the shop I bought it from to get them to check it and tell me what they were going to do if it is a crack.

Can you see any movement when you flex the frame?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Thanks to everyone who's commented - it's appreciated.

I've checked again, having given the bike a thorough check over. It looks like the crack covers about 2/3 of the frame. There's flex and movement as well.

Whilst I'm shocked, I'm also relieved I found out before the forum ride on Saturday when it could have let go going down a hill.

What's the normal process here - I've got my receipt (bought 15th March 2011) and will be on the phone to Evans first thing.

Sorry to see this. I can't recall where I read it, but the idea of cleaning the bike regularly serves more than one purpose and this is proves it. Really glad that you found it before the ride.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That could have been seriously nasty on some of the steep descents that we'll be doing on Saturday's ride!

It looks like the crack started at the weld and has propagated.

I can't see how they could possibly refuse to give you a new frame and I think they should not charge you for building it up with your old parts either.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
hope they sort it out quickly for you .No question at all that they will be obliged to replace the frame.As someone else mentioned your contract is with whoever you paid the money to not the manufacturers.

I think Evans have a good name and you wont have a problem.Good Luck let us know how it progresses.If it drags on it could be worth mentioning that the biggest cycle forum in UK is avidly following the progress.

i cant see why they wouldnt give you a new frame. if they um and argh, get in touch directly with Madison who distribute these bikes, they are usually very fair on stuff like this.

dont take no for an answer either.

I can't see Evans messing you about as it's going to be major hassle for them to swap all the bit's over onto another frame, from a time and money point of view I would not be surpised that if you walked into the Evans branch with the entire broken bike and a receipt you would walk out with an entire new one.

Just to echo what others have said. Take it back to the shop and get them to replace.

I had a Ridgeback frame go with a crack at the junction of the seat tube & BB a few years old. It was replaced with no problems.

My pics ...

672384897_d8f9b45663_b.jpg

672384999_a68911828f_b.jpg

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
The bottom side of the join between the head-tube and the down-tube is one of the most highly stressed areas of the frame. On quite a few welded frames you will find some extra reinforcement in this location to reduce the stress. My Genesis frame has some extra metal at this exact location.

You've had it less than a year so I would expect you'll find it fairly easy to get a replacement. My old steel-framed Trek had a lifetime warranty. I took it back after 10 years with a crack in one of the tubes and they gave me a new frame with no hesitation.

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

An update from me ... bike went into Evans this morning. They looked at the frame and agreed it was cracked.

They're getting onto Madison to see whether they want the frame/photos/bike before replacing it.

I'll keep this updated.

Top Bottom