EV Owners Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Share value continues to fall, as have their sales and share of the market.
True, but there are a lot of factors at play. It's a combination of competition, high insurance costs which in turn means that Tesla have been removed from a lot of fleet schemes which are still the main buyers of £50k cars, and of course huge and intense competition in China.

I'd still love a Tesla Y (or an X if I was a lot richer) but that option is not open to me at present.

CXRAndy

Guru
Share value continues to fall, as have their sales and share of the market
There has been a softer demand for EVs overall into Q1 of 2024. The numbers aren't terrible with 386,000 vehicles sold.

1000011384.jpg

Ford and BMW have had a good Q1 however their sales numbers are tiny less than 20k units for each maker.

Tesla's dominance will always drop, because of competition catching up. Will they still be a massive player in the EV market -yes for a long time

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
True, but there are a lot of factors at play. It's a combination of competition, high insurance costs which in turn means that Tesla have been removed from a lot of fleet schemes which are still the main buyers of £50k cars, and of course huge and intense competition in China.

I'd still love a Tesla Y (or an X if I was a lot richer) but that option is not open to me at present.

Yep. Our fleet scheme removed the Y a few months ago. The 3 went last month.
Still plenty of £40-£50k cars on the list but not Tesla.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Yep. Our fleet scheme removed the Y a few months ago. The 3 went last month.
Still plenty of £40-£50k cars on the list but not Tesla.

When you say the 3 went, do you mean the 3 series BMW, or the model 3 Tesla? I assume you mean the BMW.

And if that's the case, then if we are saying the Tesla was removed from fleet due to insurance, then what would be the reason to remove a BMW 3 series?

Jameshow

Veteran
When you say the 3 went, do you mean the 3 series BMW, or the model 3 Tesla? I assume you mean the BMW.

And if that's the case, then if we are saying the Tesla was removed from fleet due to insurance, then what would be the reason to remove a BMW 3 series?

Tesla 3 I think...

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
He means the Tesla. The insurance costs are too high. Prior to removing them from our fleet, the excess on a Tesla was £1200. We still have the BMW 3 series available. We just don't get any of the really good EVs. No Ioniq , no Kia, no Tesla.

CXRAndy

Guru
Interesting, I'd read that degradation was mostly front loaded and after a period battery capacity levelled off. I try and keep my battery mid charge and rarely use supercharges

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
He means the Tesla. The insurance costs are too high. Prior to removing them from our fleet, the excess on a Tesla was £1200. We still have the BMW 3 series available. We just don't get any of the really good EVs. No Ioniq , no Kia, no Tesla.

Yep. Our scheme is run by Alphabet.

No teslas on the list anymore. but we do get the EV6 and Ioniq 5 and 6. Which are basically as good as the Tesla models.

mustang1

Legendary Member

I read somewhere that Tesla will introduce their own insurance scheme soon. Hope it works out well for them, the consumer, and the fleet companies.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I read somewhere that Tesla will introduce their own insurance scheme soon. Hope it works out well for them, the consumer, and the fleet companies.

They already have - InsureMyTesla. I just tried a quote for a Tesla Y with one driver and long no-claims. With a £1200 excess it would cost £2467.97 a year. With a £400 excess £3629.38 a year. Seems pricey.

Compare the meerkat comes out at... £692 with a £250 voluntary excess and £550 compulsory. Still pricey, but at least a normal sort of pricey.

Last edited:

mustang1

Legendary Member
They already have - InsureMyTesla. I just tried a quote for a Tesla Y with one driver and long no-claims. With a £1200 excess it would cost £2467.97 a year. With a £400 excess £3629.38 a year. Seems pricey.

Compare the meerkat comes out at... £692 with a £250 voluntary excess and £550 compulsory. Still pricey, but at least a normal sort of pricey.

Well I guess indie my Tesla needs a few software updates before the process become more reasonable!

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Well I guess indie my Tesla needs a few software updates before the process become more reasonable!

Definitely. Given they created the insurance company due to high premiums from other insurers it seems to be failing in the UK! One caveat is that the InsureMyTesla was a new car and the Compare was a second hand nearly new car, but I still wouldn't expect that sort of discrepancy.

I did also see an article a while back stating that they were going through some approvals with Thatcham which should bring down the insurance cost a little, but Tesla still falls into band 50.

CXRAndy

Guru
Compared to most other EVs and ICE vehicles the Tesla is a high performance car.

I think their slowest car is around 5 secs to 60mph. Long range AWD/performance are low 4 to low 3 0-60mph

Top Bottom