Clothing for under 10 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fraz101

What typically do you wear for lower temp rides.

I go out on “social club rides” midweek, I don’t work hard enough to get my blood circulating very well so end up cold quite easily.

I have some fleece lined thermal cycling jackets and try and wear layers under it, usually a compression base layer and a t shirt under that, arm warmers too but sometimes it’s not enough, also wear 2 pairs of socks and overshoes but the 2 pairs of socks make my shoes kind of tight and effects the circulation to my toes.

Just interested in any helpful advice on things to wear to keep warm….

alicat

Legendary Member
Do a pair of socks and make the pair you put on a little thicker. Keeping warm relies on trapped air imho and if your shoes are tight your feet won't be warm.

Jameshow

Veteran
If it's really cold I'll wear a waterproof jacket even if it's not raining. Keeps the windchill at bay.

Ditto with feel wearing overshoes keeps the cold at bay. I have a size larger shoes for thicker seaman's socks in cold weather!!

Big John

Guru
Shimano winter boots, cycling balaclava under the helmet, lobster sealskinz for the hands, Roubaix bib tights, thickish socks, Helly Hansen base layer beneath a fleecy lined winter jacket and if it's proper cold a waterproof shell over the winter jacket. Sorted 👍

vickster

Legendary Member
Shimano winter boots, cycling balaclava under the helmet, lobster sealskinz for the hands, Roubaix bib tights, thickish socks, Helly Hansen base layer beneath a fleecy lined winter jacket and if it's proper cold a waterproof shell over the winter jacket. Sorted 👍

Blimey for 10 deg?!!
It was about that today, I had padded knickers under Altura winter cruisers, a LS running top, a stolen goat body line LS jersey, a Sugoi reflective jacket, a non thermal buff and light LF gloves (Specialized BG Ridge). Normal M&S socks and trail trainers. My feet were cold, rest of me ok, if anything on the warm side but there was a breeze and I do feel the cold!

Last edited:
A couple of buffs won't cost much and can keep you warmer.
One double layered under your helmet and another around the neck to keep your body heat in.

Get too hot and they can go in a pocket or round a wrist even.

Alex321

Veteran
In summer, I wear a short-sleeved jersey and bib shorts, and thin gloves (silk ones this year).

Once the temperatures come down below about 12-13C, I will add arm warmers.

Once it is down to about 10C, I switch to long-sleeved jersey, and slightly warmer gloves.

Leg warmers go on below about 6-7C. And overshoes even when dry.

And a buff (usually) when it gets below about 4C, plus my skiing gloves.

Any lower than that, I might add a base layer, or arm warmers under the long sleeved jersey.

I never wear a rain jacket - the only supposedly cycling one I have is a "boil in the bag" type one, and the way I sweat is worse than useless.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
For winter cycling below 12 degrees I wear a pair of Northwave winter road cycling boots, coupled with some merino socks, I don't have long bibs, I wear 3/4 length DHB winter bibs , a merino base layer, a winter long sleeved jersey (usually with a polartec style lining or fleecy lining) and carry a lightweight packable jacket in my rear pocket in case it's colder than I like or it rains, but of course this does lead to being a bit too insulated and so I tend to slow down a lot if I'm wearing my rain jacket since it becomes unbearably hot and sweaty pretty quickly.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
And nobody has mentioned a gillet .
Fpr down to around 6 deg i have a base layer , long sleeve cycling top , proviz nightvision jacket , lightweight walking trousers , normal socks and a pair decathlon gloves .

As it gets colder i put a thicker cycling top on , a pr of merino socks and a pr of sinner skiing gloves with a merino base glove oh and a skull cap under the helmet and a pr of northwave boots .

Padded gilet over the shell layer can be removed and out on easily .
Your summer shoes are to tight for winter. Probably too well vented.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wear the same shoes year round, might put toe covers over if wet or under 8 deg. I likely don’t cycle if it’s under about 5, too cold for someone who rides for enjoyment!

Sharky

Guru
I likely don’t cycle if it’s under about 5, too cold for someone who rides for enjoyment!
I'm in this category, after coming to grief on black ice a few years ago.
I have two metrics -
- If the car windows are frosted up, it's too cold to go for a ride
- I no longer have a pair of overshoes and if my feet are too cold with my normal shoes, I don't go out on the bike.

Regards "enjoyment", this is also true, but as one of my annual objectives is to be fit enough to ride the club's 10's, I don't like going for too long without getting out on the bike. But I've learned from experience, that misshaps (spills, colds, flu etc) during Jan and Feb are likely to set you back further than what you gain by cycling. So I've learned to be patient and accept that the cold Jan/Feb months are the low mileage months. If really snowed in, will dig my old turbo out for a few sessions in the garage.

I guess I'm fortunate that down here in Kent that winters have been mild in recent years, so really cold spells don't last too long.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
What typically do you wear for lower temp rides.

I go out on “social club rides” midweek, I don’t work hard enough to get my blood circulating very well so end up cold quite easily.

I have some fleece lined thermal cycling jackets and try and wear layers under it, usually a compression base layer and a t shirt under that, arm warmers too but sometimes it’s not enough, also wear 2 pairs of socks and overshoes but the 2 pairs of socks make my shoes kind of tight and effects the circulation to my toes.

Just interested in any helpful advice on things to wear to keep warm….

we're all different so you need to work out what works for you.

couple of observations though....

Why put a t-shirt under a base layer, that's just odd. Need a wicking base layer next to the skin.
make sure your top layer is wind proof
Overshoes or winter boots are better than stuffing more socks into ventilated summer cycling shoes

make sure your extremities are warm head hands feet etc

Top Bottom