Cat Fleas

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Kyoto has just been wormed, and we've topped up 'Tiggy' as the old cat.

Keeping on top of it anyway. Kyoto arrived with a couple so we were expecting it - nothing more than a little dirt, but you have to get rid of the buggers..

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I can't find a thread about fleas on dogs, so seeing as they are mentioned on here I'll post on here. I sprayed my flat with Indorex yesterday. My mutt's had fleas on and off for the last few months. I tried the Bob Martin droplet which was useless. I then tried the Frontline one, recommended at Pets At home. It seemed to keep the numbers low, but they were still there! I then took him to a vet's who told me that fleas are developing an immunity to Frontline. They recommended Indorex saying even if the Frontine is working on him, the fleas will be living in my carpets etc, so even though they'll die after biting my mutt, more from the carpet will jump on him repeating the cycle. I used Indorex 5 years ago when we had a very hot summer and fleas were infesting many cats and dogs. Indorex and a vet sold droplet sorted them out. He didn't have another flea again till a few months ago. As I post he's asleep on the carpet (I'm going to buy him a new bed tomorrow as I washed his bed on a hot wash and it kind of fell apart). So far he hasn't shown any signs of fleas biting him. I'm thinking that the ones left on on him have been killed, with him lying on the sprayed carpet.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Once you have an infestation it's very difficult to get rid of, you may have killed all the live fleas but the eggs will be hatching for the next 6-8 weeks, which starts the cycle off again, we had it with our cat 2 years ago, took ages & ages to finally get rid. You need to spray all the furniture even if he doesn't go on it, also the carpet especially right up to the end & under the skirting board.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I find Advantage best for both cats - cheapest place i've found it is Pet Drugs Online. Good service and fast delivery too.

fossyant

We had a flea or two on one of our cats recently. Straight out with Frontline (we usually use Advantage), then Indorex sprayed the furniture. Did a top up of Advantage a week later, no fleas. Double checked with three of them at the vets last week. No sign of dirt.

We have indorex in just in case. Order on line for cheaper prices.

fossyant

Apparently Advocate is the best. Vet told me last week. Slightly more expensive, but do not get it direct from the vet. Use Zooplus or Viovet as its half the price.

vickster

Legendary Member
My vet now recommends Stronghold Plus. I need to get some more (I’ll ask vet for prescription as I’m sure it’s cheaper online!)

fossyant

With frontline, fleas have to bite.

Advantage works in 12 hours but just does fleas.

Advocate and stronghold kills other bugs and treats worms, hense more expensive.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've heard it said that fleas' eggs in the carpet lie dormant, then are triggered to hatch when they detect the vibration of an animal (or human) walking past. Likewise they are triggered to hatch if you hoover, so repeated hoovering apparently helps clear them up from the house

This could be utter bollocks, but I've heard it claimed

fossyant

I've heard it said that fleas' eggs in the carpet lie dormant, then are triggered to hatch when they detect the vibration of an animal (or human) walking past. Likewise they are triggered to hatch if you hoover, so repeated hoovering apparently helps clear them up from the house

This could be utter bollocks, but I've heard it claimed

Yup, the buggers wait for a cat or somesuch. Evil things

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's not just the fleas but the over reaction I get when I mention he has them! He has a habit of rolling over on his back wanting folk to tickle his belly. I tend to say "be careful, he has a few visitors I'm struggling to get rid of". Most are ok, but one or two are completely over the top in their reaction. On woman backed off abruptly, frantically brushing herself with her hands. Then you get the amateur vets who give advice, only to be contradicted by different advice from another amateur vet. One woman said quote....."Oh my god! You'll have to rip your carpets up and burn them! Then buy a flea bomb for every room and even spray your car, clothes, curtains blah blah". :rolleyes:

It can be a frustrating battle. After years of no fleas, I've been dealing with an infestation that came about as the result of a rat issue which has now been solved. I think I've got on top of it after about five months, but the problem is, flea eggs can lie dormant for three months plus, so the only solution is to treat and keep treating.

Ordinary frontline is marginal on effectiveness, but frontline plus still works well, as it renders any eggs sterile. Anything like Bob Martin is pretty well much quackery as it only repels fleas, it doesn't kill them.

Also, if you're flea-ing, don't forget to worm, as fleas are the intermediate hosts for tapeworm. That, of course, depends on the product, but some of the combination flea-worm products don't target all types of worms, so do check the small print on the packet.

Top Bottom