Caravan To Buy Or Not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yes, know what you are saying I just like the idea of everything being there and not having to pack / unpack after every trip.

Back in the days of cheap and plentiful flights we would leave Chester at 5 a.m. get the 7.05 from Speke, two and a half hour flight to Faro, then 40 minutes on the train and by lunch time would be at the pool carrying nothing but your passport and wallet.

When we go to Eire next month I just know my OH will pack everything, including the kitchen sink if she could, and by the time I have loaded / unloaded the car I will have arms like an orangutan!!

How many times can you visit one place before getting bored?

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Anglesey? Sorry to be a bit negative but what a dull place it is.

Coastal walks are nice, but shops are dire and we struggled with much to do of an evening.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Anglesey? Sorry to be a bit negative but what a dull place it is.

Coastal walks are nice, but shops are dire and we struggled with much to do of an evening.

Ooff. :whistle: We do go for the day.Plenty of restaurants, OK a car drive away usually. Depends where one stays.

OP did have a holiday home overseas.

At least with a caravan plot you aren't eroding the housing stock for locals.

We have friends with a large holiday property in Trearddur Bay - it's nearly all holiday homes - a very different place out of season.

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Chislenko Treauddur Bay caravan park is lovely. Not regimented. Large plots. AND open 12 months of the year.
We sold up due to our circumstances but wish we still had it.
The owner (Delwyn) did have a strict 15 year rule. Treated everyone well but was ruthless with that.
Oh... site fees were MUCH lower than other sites. It was kept lovely but no bar or pool etc, which suited us

At the end of the day it's up to you - I like my cycling too much so weekends are always based around that with my mates. So I've never seen the attraction of going away on a lot of weekends. The occasional trip is great but if you aren't using it - why pay for it ? Cheaper to buy your Missus a bag and a set of clothes to stay packed for quick weekends away ! ^_^

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
At the end of the day it's up to you - I like my cycling too much so weekends are always based around that with my mates. So I've never seen the attraction of going away on a lot of weekends. The occasional trip is great but if you aren't using it - why pay for it ? Cheaper to buy your Missus a bag and a set of clothes to stay packed for quick weekends away ! ^_^

But it is a win win, have always left a bike in Portugal and had some great rides there.

Would leave one at caravan and get some different roads

We would probably look at Ynys Môn, (Anglesey)

I would quite fancy St David's on Red Wharf Bay, because of the great restaurant and indoor pool/spa facilities, oh, and a lovely sandy beach. Statics don't cost the earth but it's getting one, see below. Site fees must be high though, as the cheapest on Anglesey are £3k+.
When you think one weeks stay in August is around £1k in a nice 2 bed static I guess prices aren't that crazy?
1663764657329.png

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
I would quite fancy St David's on Red Wharf Bay, because of the great restaurant and indoor pool/spa facilities, oh, and a lovely sandy beach. Statics don't cost the earth but it's getting one, see below. Site fees must be high though, as the cheapest on Anglesey are £3k+.
When you think one weeks stay in August is around £1k in a nice 2 bed static I guess prices aren't that crazy?
View attachment 661877

Yes, looked at that site but almost everything sold. I suppose people may buy caravans and sell their second homes due to the expected uplift in Council Tax for second home owners.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Supply has been difficult as they have been getting snapped up due to UK holidaying. Whether that changes and folk decide to sell remains a question, but the Welsh are clamping down on second homes through council tax, so caravans likely to be in high demand.

Wales is fabulous in the sunshine, much less so in the rain, unless you are charging round knee deep in water on a MTB round a trail centre, with waterfalls gushing down the hills and across the trails - that's something else.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Wales is fabulous in the sunshine, much less so in the rain, unless you are charging round knee deep in water on a MTB round a trail centre, with waterfalls gushing down the hills and across the trails - that's something else.

Fossy,

Mi ges yn gen i yn Gogledd Cymru felly dwi'n gwybod am y tywydd.

I was born and raised in North Wales, I know about the weather!

rualexander

Legendary Member
Supply has been difficult as they have been getting snapped up due to UK holidaying. Whether that changes and folk decide to sell remains a question, but the Welsh are clamping down on second homes through council tax, so caravans likely to be in high demand.

Supply might improve shortly as the cost of living crisis bites and many will start offloading excess costs.

I had a mate who had a tourer in storage at a site and got it put out onto the main site when he was going to stay, seemed like a good half way solution: generally cheaper site storage rates and no towing, unless you wanted to.

Top Bottom