Caravan To Buy Or Not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
I think certainly @fossyant may be able to help with this one.

So we have sold up abroad and have a wedge burning a hole in our pockets. (No I don't want a Tesla!)

We love getting away (just booked a cottage in ROI for next month) and we got to talking about getting a static on a site.

Obviously this would be a lot nearer home than going abroad so we could use more frequently.

Apart from initial cost, yearly fees, the so many years replacement rule what are people's experiences of the pros and cons.

Any thoughts welcome.

Jameshow

Veteran
Money pit imho.

Cost £30 - 100k

Depreciates over 20 years.

Service charges £3-5k

Unless your happy to rent it out or happy to loose that money hand over foot, I wouldn't .

However if you can find a brick built or Scandinavian lodge which is freehold with a low service charge say £1k your in a much better position.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
You can only be in one place at a time. Your dosh would pay for a lot of nights away all round the country.

Yes, know what you are saying I just like the idea of everything being there and not having to pack / unpack after every trip.

Back in the days of cheap and plentiful flights we would leave Chester at 5 a.m. get the 7.05 from Speke, two and a half hour flight to Faro, then 40 minutes on the train and by lunch time would be at the pool carrying nothing but your passport and wallet.

When we go to Eire next month I just know my OH will pack everything, including the kitchen sink if she could, and by the time I have loaded / unloaded the car I will have arms like an orangutan!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Up to you - we all have different opinions, and they are expensive to keep - e.g. ground rent.

We 'inherited' the caravan when MIL/FIL decided 'we' could pay for it - they were still going and we used to look after them when we went there, so it sort of forced us to use it more - we'd go once a month, so it was a big cost to be landed with - even when we were paying, FIL/MIL would still turn up, un-announced and expect to be waited on hand and foot.

It's around 75-90 minutes away in North Wales.

Second hand/nearly new is best option - probably £20k-£30k for a good one. Ours is a 3 bedroom and 22 years old now, was bought a couple of years old. They depreciate fast/site owners never pay you enough.

Site Fees £3k-£4k, Insurance about £400, Gas - £140 for two tanks a year (ours runs on , but we only use 2 in a season), £150 electric costs.

Think of the costs as a couple of weeks abroad. If its local enough, you'll go most weekends, like we do. We get the use out of it. We don't rent it out as it's home from home, so has all our 'stuff' in there, including bikes.

It's a big commitment each year, but if you use it, and spend a week or so there a few times a year, you've covered the cost - remember renting a caravan is around £400-£500 or more per week in peak season.

Maintenance wise, jet wash twice a year to keep it looking nice, and the usual garden maintenance.

We have a UPVC veranda, and I'd recommend seeing if the site have any going second hand - they are very expensive new.

Positives for us, it's a short walk through a nature reserve to the beach, we've got loads of 'walking routes' nearby (and pubs on it), the local town (Prestatyn) is really nice and has lots of good pubs and restaurants - 40 minutes walk or a short taxi ride. It's blooming great for both road cycling and as a base for MTB - there is enough XC/gravel locally to get a decent hour or so in on the MTB without driving. Limitless little lanes for road cycling. It's also only 60 minutes from most of the attractions in N Wales - Anglesey, Llandegla (MTB), Conwy etc etc.

You need to pick somewhere you'd like to go. I'd retire down there, but the local hospital is dire. If you get ill/injured, get back to Manchester I'd say ! :whistle:

It's great for us as we can just unwind for the weekend.

fossyant

Oh, and check the site about replacement rules, visit and look at the various vans around. Ours is family owned, and so long as your van looks nice you are OK. Ours is over the 20 year limit, but there are vans that are 30 years old. Ours does still look quite new.

A local site strictly adheres to 10 years I think, and they ripped off our friends - they traded 'up' their static for a slightly older one, that had central heating, but it was fairly close to the age limit. 18 months later, the site kicked them off.

Most vans now are centrally heated and double glazed - ours is as it was a top end model at the time.

D

Deleted member 26715

You need to pick somewhere you'd like to go.
Haven't got one, but do keep looking, but I think this is the crux of the matter, it has to be somewhere you're willing to go time after time, I also think you have to be prepared to use it, as for £2000 a year you can have 4-6 7 day holidays in 4-6 different cottages.

fossyant

PS ask away. My folks and sister/BIL now have a van on our site too as they enjoy getting away. My folks stopped the annual cruise and bought a static (they had one when I was in my teens).

D

Deleted member 26715

Oh, and check the site about replacement rules, visit and look at the various vans around. Ours is family owned, and so long as your van looks nice you are OK. Ours is over the 20 year limit, but there are vans that are 30 years old. Ours does still look quite new.

A local site strictly adheres to 10 years I think, and they ripped off our friends - they traded 'up' their static for a slightly older one, that had central heating, but it was fairly close to the age limit. 18 months later, the site kicked them off.

Most vans now are centrally heated and double glazed - ours is as it was a top end model at the time.

Sorry this is also critical, pretty sure an owner on the NE coast ended up in prison because of the terms of his contract, he had veto on anyone buying a caravan on the site. If somebody wanted to sell a £30K caravan he would offer £10K, then veto anybody else who made an offer.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Bought ours for £4k sixteen years ago when it was thirteen years old but in perfect condition. It's still in much the same condition now.

Site fees have doubled in that time but it's still worth paying for to have somewhere to go for a week or two a few times a year and also weekends, in great cycling country.

fossyant

Sorry this is also critical, pretty sure an owner on the NE coast ended up in prison because of the terms of his contract, he had veto on anyone buying a caravan on the site. If somebody wanted to sell a £30K caravan he would offer £10K, then veto anybody else who made an offer.

That's fairly common - you usually sell back to the site, and you don't get your money back. Bear this in mind. As for age, check what vans the site is selling too, as ours does sell older vans that are in good condition - they usually have had the chairs re-upholstered and new carpets throughout. It's an indicator you won't get chucked out.

fossyant

Site fees vary. Presthaven is £5k and it's a sprawling site. Not a relaxing place to stay as so many hire vans. Loads for kids to do at a 'cost'.

Ours is £3.5k down the road, and has a pub, club, 2 pools, local shop and a chippy. SIL is on another site on the other side of Prestatyn and that's about £2k but doesn't have anything on site. So shop around and find a site that suits you, some are much cheaper due to location.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Thanks for all the info @fossyant .

We would probably look at Ynys Môn, (Anglesey) . We are only just over an hour away and as we are both retired could go as and when we feel (when site is open). I would not like to sit on the A55 on a Friday night in summer, so we could go mid week or whenever.

Certainly plenty of questions to ask when you find a site you like re ground rent, minimum age of van etc. All the running costs we have been paying in Portugal anyway (Rates, standing charges on Water, Gas, Electric etc, Insurance, Condominium Charge) so the running costs wouldn't be that much different and we would get a lot more use out of it. We have been to Portugal once in the last four years and that was to put it up for sale!!

I'll do some research into various sites and may mither you with a few more questions in the future.

As we have no children to leave our money to we are of a mind to spend it 😊, otherwise my niece becomes an overnight millionaire and as her name is not Charles 111 a good proportion will just go to the government in inheritance tax.

fossyant

Thanks for all the info @fossyant .

We would probably look at Ynys Môn, (Anglesey) . We are only just over an hour away and as we are both retired could go as and when we feel (when site is open). I would not like to sit on the A55 on a Friday night in summer, so we could go mid week or whenever.

Certainly plenty of questions to ask when you find a site you like re ground rent, minimum age of van etc. All the running costs we have been paying in Portugal anyway (Rates, standing charges on Water, Gas, Electric etc, Insurance, Condominium Charge) so the running costs wouldn't be that much different and we would get a lot more use out of it. We have been to Portugal once in the last four years and that was to put it up for sale!!

I'll do some research into various sites and may mither you with a few more questions in the future.

As we have no children to leave our money to we are of a mind to spend it 😊, otherwise my niece becomes an overnight millionaire and as her name is not Charles 111 a good proportion will just go to the government in inheritance tax.

Anglesey, then go for it, especially if you are an hour away and can do the mid week travel - that's what my folk do. Some lovely spots there, but expect a site rent premium.

Top Bottom