Caravan To Buy Or Not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I had a mate who had a tourer in storage at a site and got it put out onto the main site when he was going to stay, seemed like a good half way solution: generally cheaper site storage rates and no towing, unless you wanted to.

I did that for several months, putting it into the storage each Friday morning, getting it back out Monday evening, when I was working as a freelancer and had a contract away from home.

But it is much smaller than a static, and won't have as good facilities for things like showering, and separate bedrooms.

Jameshow

Veteran
I did that for several months, putting it into the storage each Friday morning, getting it back out Monday evening, when I was working as a freelancer and had a contract away from home.

But it is much smaller than a static, and won't have as good facilities for things like showering, and separate bedrooms.

Unless a TA hobby or bailey monster!

Yes I agree, it's a half way house and just another option to consider

My wife and I looked into this in the last year and eventually ruled it out. All the sites in our target area has a very strict age limit on the ‘vans, had very high fees and closed the site for part of the year (notably the part we’d be most keen to go).

We are now in the process of buying a two bed cottage in the area.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The problem with buying a second 'house' is it really affects the market for locals, and they end up with a dead town part of the year. Our site also has plots for people with tourers, and many leave their vans on site all year - I suspect some won't be safe to tow now, in that they have been 'on site' for that many years.

We have considered buying a house near where our van is, but I don't want another mortgage (don't have one now), nor the added bills (council tax) and the maintenance side a house brings with it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Don't think I mentioned but with ours being open 12 months we would often spend Christmas their (2 weeks). Come Christmas day we would put the roast in the oven (low heat) and walk to the pub for a few lunchtime drinks...lovely

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The ground rent bill landed yesterday. Gone to near £3,900. :ohmy: Electric bill also which was £107, which isn't bad. £400 site deposit to pay and leccy bill by end of October. Then balance before March.

We do get use out of it though !

The problem with buying a second 'house' is it really affects the market for locals, and they end up with a dead town part of the year. Our site also has plots for people with tourers, and many leave their vans on site all year - I suspect some won't be safe to tow now, in that they have been 'on site' for that many years.

We have considered buying a house near where our van is, but I don't want another mortgage (don't have one now), nor the added bills (council tax) and the maintenance side a house brings with it.

I appreciate what you are saying and we took that into consideration when buying. The cottage requires a lot of work and, as a result, had been up for sale for some time. It’s also not in a town (or city).

It is also a cash purchase, and the costs to bring it to the standard we want will come out of savings too, so no mortgage required.

Top Bottom