Car Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've been with mine for several years, with minor increases on renewal. My policy explicitly states glass replacement doesn't affect no-claims.
Hastings, since you ask.

I don't think a windscreen claim loads insurance if you have cover.

Had the screen replaced in mine last summer and the premium was within £10 of the previous year.

Buck

Guru
Mine jumped by over 30% this month so I have switched provider and my policy is on a par with last years premium for the same cover/excess

I think it is partly a reflection of the insurance companies now having to offer all policies with the same pricing calculation whether you be a new or returning customer.

Importantly, don’t leave your renewal to the last minute. It increases as you get to the renewal date.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It has gone up in certain areas. Mine didn't as it's an older car, but the insurance I pay for the Aygo (daughter/son) jumped by £200, and I decided to take my son off (he has a car and company van now) to keep it at the previous level.

Expect it to go up more with inflation.

How's everyone doing a year on ?

My car has just gone up by £10, still about £170pa.

The Aygo jumped up again as daughter has passed her test £900 pa.

Chislenko

Veteran

My car has just gone up by £10, still about £170pa.

The Aygo jumped up again as daughter has passed her test £900 pa.

Our policy for the two cars is a little cheaper than last year. In fact the only time our policy has gone up during the last five years with NFU is when we got rid of the wife's old banger and bought her a brand new car. Understandable that it would go up under those circumstances.

In the previous years on like for like cars it went down every year because of the "Mutual Bonuses" you accrue.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm going to be looking after my Mum's car before it hopefully gets passed onto son no. 1 when he passes his driving test. It's a 2012 Vauxhall Agila but has done only 13,500 miles.

Insured it today on the combined policy I share with son no. 2 (to keep his insurance cost down) as an additional vehicle. The price was £44 for the three months to April, which seems a decent price imo.

Chislenko

Veteran
I'm going to be looking after my Mum's car before it hopefully gets passed onto son no. 1 when he passes his driving test. It's a 2012 Vauxhall Agila but has done only 13,500 miles.

Low mileage must be a thing with Agila's. Bloke up the road inherited his dad's when he passed and he has kept it for sentimental reasons. It is on a 13 plate and has under 10k miles on it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Renewal offered at £308 (or £288 if no changes and renewed online) compared to £175 last year, so a 60% increase at least.

I used the meerkat to switch to the cheapest alternative at £231.

Going through the provider’s confirmation process, I noticed they had my no claims bonus at 9 years when it’s actually 20, so I corrected it and my premium went up by £8! 🤨

Hicky

Guru
Increased from £540 to £960(Hastings, zero change to policy apart from another year or NCB)....I changed providers as Hastings could only get within £10 a month to the cheaper provider(exactly the same cover) astonishingly they managed to drop 400 off their renewal price with a simple call wtaf, no I'm moving pal!!!!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
driven by old folk to the local shops and back . There a few round here , im guessing cheap as chips to run .

Absolutely. It's done no more than 300 miles a year since 2016, when my parents moved from the Dales, usually 150 miles or so each year. And they were running two cars. My Dad's does about 500 miles a year!

Well ... I've put an annual mileage on in 24 hours and it's probably been driven faster than ever before, given she only drove at 30-40 mph usually.

Top Bottom