Car Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Annual renewal has come in and it’s going up quite a whack ! £150 extra approx . Would a claim on glass put up the cost? Didn’t think that sort of thing mattered ?

Anyway I will start my hunt for another quote ! Get the feeling that we are all starting to get fleeced even more .

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Did you have windscreen cover as an extra? If not, then the reason probably is due to that claim.

I'd always advise people to shop around especially at that price increase.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It has gone up in certain areas. Mine didn't as it's an older car, but the insurance I pay for the Aygo (daughter/son) jumped by £200, and I decided to take my son off (he has a car and company van now) to keep it at the previous level.

Expect it to go up more with inflation.

vickster

Legendary Member
Insurance went down in price or at least stayed static due to lower levels of claims during the pandemic IIRC, those days are over.

£150 increase for a glass claim sounds quite a lot. I had to make a claim in 2021 due to some **** scraping my car quite badly in a carpark and doing a runner, my premiums went up by under £100. I did shop around but my current insurer was still cheapest like for like, or there might have been a few quid in it but I couldn’t be bothered to change.

Definitely do a check, not all insurers are on comparison sites so may need to do some individual checks, can often get decent cashback by going through quidco or top cashback (£50 or so common)

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Did you have windscreen cover as an extra? If not, then the reason probably is due to that claim.

I'd always advise people to shop around especially at that price increase.

Glass I always assume is covered ? My renewal shows an extra year NCB , so I’d garner that’s not been effected !

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Glass I always assume is covered ? My renewal shows an extra year NCB , so I’d garner that’s not been effected !

Glass isn't always covered. It's an added extra and Incurs its own excess. It used to be a £45 excess but may have Increased over the last few years. I never bothered with it.

vickster

Legendary Member

Even if your NCB is protected, your premiums can still rise with a claim. Call and ask your insurers why the hike and ask what they can do (get more quotes for them to match)

Annual renewal has come in and it’s going up quite a whack ! £150 extra approx . Would a claim on glass put up the cost? Didn’t think that sort of thing mattered ?

Anyway I will start my hunt for another quote ! Get the feeling that we are all starting to get fleeced even more .

I just use the meerkat site for everything - they keep your details there so getting umpteen quotes is a minutes work.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I just use the meerkat site for everything - they keep your details there so getting umpteen quotes is a minutes work.

I shop around every year but last year the quote was on par with previous !

Sharky

Guru
Try giving your current insurer a call and ask if there is a better deal they can offer. Perhaps increasing your excess amount or if your annual mileage is less than they have on record.

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Try giving your current insurer a call and ask if there is a better deal they can offer. Perhaps increasing your excess amount or if your annual mileage is less than they have on record.

Think I did that last year . So may do that ? I can get it cheaper that’s for sure after doing the old meerkat web comparison!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I've been with mine for several years, with minor increases on renewal. My policy explicitly states glass replacement doesn't affect no-claims.
Hastings, since you ask.

fullfathom5

I've been with mine for several years, with minor increases on renewal. My policy explicitly states glass replacement doesn't affect no-claims.
Hastings, since you ask.
Even if a claim (windscreen damage, no-fault accident, etc.) doesn't affect your no-claims it almost certainly will be taken into account when your premium is calculated.

Top Bottom