BBC Antisocial

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheddy

Legendary Member
When was the penny incident ?

“TV and radio presenter Jeremy Vine posts a video of a car failing to give way to him while he’s riding a penny farthing. Cue angry comments hurling insults and telling him he’d be safer in a car - and sympathetic responses from fellow cyclists”

Ajax Bay

Guru
I was driving and the radio was on, so I listened. The two pseudo-protagonists were underwhelming. The bloke arguing that the Ministry against Transport and the London 'elite' were engaged on a war on cars was verbose, inarticulate, repetitive, groping for tropes and 'whatabouts', associating cycling with woke and/or green agendas, and generally irritating. The female cyclist was rational but could have been more robust, along Boardman lines.
I do not recommend listening to it.

Last edited:

matticus

Guru
When was the penny incident ?

“TV and radio presenter Jeremy Vine posts a video of a car failing to give way to him while he’s riding a penny farthing. Cue angry comments hurling insults and telling him he’d be safer in a car - and sympathetic responses from fellow cyclists”
It was in the last 2 weeks - based on when I saw it. Maybe even the last week.

Typical tribal argument - the driver was clearly in the wrong, and you could argue "How on earth did they not see a ruddy Penny Farthing?!?"
And then inevitably the car-wan ... trolls leap in with "Yeah but you'd be safer on a sensible bike, you 2-wheeled Leftard Stirrer!!!"

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
the player appeared to open midway

I'm thinking I might have accidentally double-clicked, causing it to open in the middle as if it had previously been part-played. Listening now, I don't recall hearing it before.

Drago

Legendary Member
I pay my TV licence to fund this drivel?

Oh, wait. I don't!

matticus

Guru
It's a poorly chosen title, the program is about cycling and motoring in the round. Don't judge a book by its cover.

In the round you say?
So a balanced review of the public health benefits of each? Deaths caused by uninsured drivers? Getting more kids cycling, that sort of thing?

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
In the round you say?
So a balanced review of the public health benefits of each? Deaths caused by uninsured drivers? Getting more kids cycling, that sort of thing?

It was a lot more than just whether cyclists should stick to cycle lanes, wasn't it.

Top Bottom