Barbados?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Emanresu

Have a look at Costa Rica. You have the choice of Caribbean or Pacific coasts. Great wildlife too and the people are great.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve been to a number of places in the Caribbean, Bahamas, Barbados, Cuba, St Kitts, St Lucia, Dominica, Antigua, Jamaica and a couple of the Virgin Islands. Favourites were the Bahamas and St Lucia. The latter had some nice protected bays near the hotel where I could hon my sailing skills.

I’ve only ever done AI. though have had the odd meal out in all of the locations (the steaks in Cuba were amazing!) and prices do vary, a lot. Iknow you said you have air miles to use but yo may get a better deal going for a package, as opposed to hotel only, and save your miles for another trip.

We have a companion voucher, it’ll cost £660 for the two of us in premium, that’s the only reason we’re considering as we’ve not been to Caribbean! We won’t fly economy long haul, so We’re not looking for a package holiday

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Have a look at Costa Rica. You have the choice of Caribbean or Pacific coasts. Great wildlife too and the people are great.

That’s under consideration as a different spendy holiday, with a good chunk of birding and wildlife and different travelling companions, touring around not just beach R&R. Flights cost a fortune and no chance of Avios flights in the right season (spring)

I don’t think so…and apparently the food is awful!

It may have changed since I was there (around 12 years ago) but I found the food very much better than I expected and plenty of really nice seafood. We went out to a restaurant on one occasion and I had the best steak I have ever eaten.

My son was there just before the pandemic and, whilst some things had changed, currency for example, he had no complaints about the food.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It may have changed since I was there (around 12 years ago) but I found the food very much better than I expected and plenty of really nice seafood. We went out to a restaurant on one occasion and I had the best steak I have ever eaten.

My son was there just before the pandemic and, whilst some things had changed, currency for example, he had no complaints about the food.

Maybe that was outside the resorts? A good steak is of no interest to me :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Possibly but we covered a good range of areas in the country. One thing we did notice was the complete lack of tomatoes anywhere, even on a pizza, but they simply worked round it and came up with something tasty.

I think we would want to travel around and we’re not really looking for that type of holiday this time. And BA don’t fly to Cuba, the companion voucher needs using

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
What about Cuba? My friend went with her husband and they enjoyed it.

Good call. 3 or so days in Havana (you MUST go to Havana) and then off to one of the Cayos for the rest.

ETA
Ah, BA-free of course

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Go to New York? Plenty to do there, food and drink is cheap and so are attractions. Accommodation can be expensive though or the absolute pits if you go cheap.
The flight to and from Barbados in cattle class was terrible. It was Manchester to Heathrow and then onto Barbados. Loads of messing about both times at Heathrow and the flight was delayed by 4 hours return. Just awful.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Go to New York? Plenty to do there, food and drink is cheap and so are attractions. Accommodation can be expensive though or the absolute pits if you go cheap.
The flight to and from Barbados in cattle class was terrible. It was Manchester to Heathrow and then onto Barbados. Loads of messing about both times at Heathrow and the flight was delayed by 4 hours return. Just awful.

Ummm no we've been lots of time ( lived in NJ for a few months) and it's hardly an R&R holiday in the sun. The US is extremely expensive these days apparently (not just hotels), when were you last there?
We're not going cattle class ;) and we will fly direct from LHR.

(Un)fortunately we're both quite widely travelled!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never been disclaimer...

How about Bermuda as a leftfield option?

We did consider but it's not actually very warm except in the summer...and when it is warm the accommodation costs hundreds a night! And the sea isn't warm at all

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, it's further North than most people realise.

OK, Florida Keys?

Been to Florida many times...Been to Keys, a pain to get to and you have to fly to Miami...no thanks! Again accommodation very costly and it'll be getting humid by late May

Top Bottom