Barbados?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Considering a holiday there in May...anyone been? Thoughts - never been to the Caribbean before, looking for R&R plus a bit of culture, sightseeing etc

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Its totally extortionate if you eat out so if you go then the best advice I can give is go all inclusive in the hotel. Do not go self catering like we did, we nearly starved as there wasn't anything much in the supermarkets that could be cooked on 2 electric rings. Yes there's places like Oistens fish market that does cheaper food but eating out for one at restaurant would be around £80 plus for a simple dish. It was unbelievable!
There are two prices for things one for tourists and the other for locals. The people are totally lovely and the beaches are fantastic. The holiday was spoilt by being hungry and the search for affordable food. I'm not kidding either. Its noted for it.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Its totally extortionate if you eat out so if you go then the best advice I can give is go all inclusive in the hotel. Do not go self catering like we did, we nearly starved as there wasn't anything much in the supermarkets that could be cooked on 2 electric rings. Yes there's places like Oistens fish market that does cheaper food but eating out for one at restaurant would be around £80 plus for a simple dish. It was unbelievable!
There are two prices for things one for tourists and the other for locals. The people are totally lovely and the beaches are fantastic. The holiday was spoilt by being hungry and the search for affordable food. I'm not kidding either. Its noted for it.

Hmmm the AI hotels are extremely expensive (like £300+ a night). We will be using air miles for flights.
Most hotels seem to offer breakfast for $20-30 a head, so that would negate the need for lunch!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
That's reasonable but research what the prices are now for food out on some travel Facebook sites. If people are saying its still as mad as when I went then I wouldn't go or budget accordingly. At the supermarket there was also nothing you could cook yourself, It was all packs of hens feet and massive catering packs of meat. We survived on multigrain bars, swiss rolls, crisps etc. There was nothing in the supermarket like here, like sandwiches, or pasta or pasties etc.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
That's reasonable but research what the prices are now for food out on some travel Facebook sites. If people are saying its still as mad as when I went then I wouldn't go or budget accordingly. At the supermarket there was also nothing you could cook yourself, It was all packs of hens feet and massive catering packs of meat. We survived on multigrain bars, swiss rolls, crisps etc. There was nothing in the supermarket like here, like sandwiches, or pasta or pasties etc.
Thanks, we will do some research. It’ll be a hotel not self catering and we don’t mind paying to eat out well as long as there’s a choice (I don’t eat meat so the supermarket options aren’t appealing!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Anywhere else to consider in Caribbean, flight has to be with BA and no more than 9 hour flight. Need to be other things to do besides water sports and beach. NOT Jamaica.
I do think everywhere tends to be super expensive, we will use reasonably priced hotels and flights are just the tax cost

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Thanks, we will do some research. It’ll be a hotel not self catering and we don’t mind paying to eat out well as long as there’s a choice (I don’t eat meat so the supermarket options aren’t appealing!

When I went which was over 10 years ago there was nothing for vegetarians apart from fries/chips etc. Its all fish and meat. Hopefully things are much better now. I would most definitely take some food with you just in case. A dish that cost a local $5.00 they will charge you $100. That's how they make their money its all set up for people with $$$ like Mick Jagger.
I've not been anywhere else in the Caribbean so I cant advise any other options. This experience was enough for me.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
When I went which was over 10 years ago there was nothing for vegetarians apart from fries/chips etc. Its all fish and meat. Hopefully things are much better now. I would most definitely take some food with you just in case. A dish that cost a local $5.00 they will charge you $100. That's how they make their money its all set up for people with $$$ like Mick Jagger.
I've not been anywhere else in the Caribbean so I cant advise any other options. This experience was enough for me.

I eat and very much enjoy fish and seafood :smile:

Alex321

Veteran
Anywhere else to consider in Caribbean, flight has to be with BA and no more than 9 hour flight. Need to be other things to do besides water sports and beach. NOT Jamaica.
I do think everywhere tends to be super expensive, we will use reasonably priced hotels and flights are just the tax cost

I would consider Mexico. Flight time 8.5 hours from UK to Cancun - but don't stay in Cancun or Playa del Carmen , go further down the coast to somewhere like Akumal.

The only other place I have been in the Caribbean is Tobago, but there really wasn't much there but beach.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I would consider Mexico. Flight time 8.5 hours from UK to Cancun - but don't stay in Cancun or Playa del Carmen , go further down the coast to somewhere like Akumal.

The only other place I have been in the Caribbean is Tobago, but there really wasn't much there but beach.

Been to Mexico (yucatan) :smile:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Been to Mexico (yucatan) :smile:

It's just had an almighty hurricane (at least in 'pulco it did) but Mexico West Coast is a very different experience to The Yucatan. We flew up into the hills to see an authentic village, did some whale-bothering as well as all the other stuff. Based ourselves in Puerto Vallarta.

St Lucia I enjoyed more than Barbados - found the latter just a bit fearful, at least in Downtown Bridgetown (one of only 2 places I experienced that in the Caribbean). I think it goes hand-in-hand with cruise ships docking tbh. But there's plenty to do in both locations, for sure. If Barbados, then I much prefer the more rugged East Coast to the developed West, but I'm in the minority, I know.

It is possible to eat cheaply to reasonably btw - there's plenty of street food-type places. Roti Hut was particularly good in Barbados, I recall!

Another location might be New Providence, Bahamas (Nassau). I prefer not to stay there as I go off fishing on the Out Islands (wonderful, everyone should go at least once!) but similar comments apply as per Barbados - most activities are around watersports on NP though, although some cultural stuff in Nassau.

I’ve been to a number of places in the Caribbean, Bahamas, Barbados, Cuba, St Kitts, St Lucia, Dominica, Antigua, Jamaica and a couple of the Virgin Islands. Favourites were the Bahamas and St Lucia. The latter had some nice protected bays near the hotel where I could hon my sailing skills.

I’ve only ever done AI. though have had the odd meal out in all of the locations (the steaks in Cuba were amazing!) and prices do vary, a lot. Iknow you said you have air miles to use but yo may get a better deal going for a package, as opposed to hotel only, and save your miles for another trip.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It's just had an almighty hurricane (at least in 'pulco it did) but Mexico West Coast is a very different experience to The Yucatan. We flew up into the hills to see an authentic village, did some whale-bothering as well as all the other stuff. Based ourselves in Puerto Vallarta.

St Lucia I enjoyed more than Barbados - found the latter just a bit fearful, at least in Downtown Bridgetown (one of only 2 places I experienced that in the Caribbean). I think it goes hand-in-hand with cruise ships docking tbh. But there's plenty to do in both locations, for sure. If Barbados, then I much prefer the more rugged East Coast to the developed West, but I'm in the minority, I know.

It is possible to eat cheaply to reasonably btw - there's plenty of street food-type places. Roti Hut was particularly good in Barbados, I recall!

Another location might be New Providence, Bahamas (Nassau). I prefer not to stay there as I go off fishing on the Out Islands (wonderful, everyone should go at least once!) but similar comments apply as per Barbados - most activities are around watersports on NP though, although some cultural stuff in Nassau.

Too far to fly, we’re only going for around 9 or 10 days, no long transfers either, and we aren’t looking to be dashing around places! I won’t be flying into any hills in a small plane either!

Top Bottom