Zwift Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Good luck for tomorrow Peter
Yes, good luck Pete. You might well have started so an advice I can give is probably too late. When I did my vEveresting on the Alpe I had a change of shorts each descent and make sure to have a mix of savoury and sweet snacks. My mistake was too much sweet stuff and I was close to being sick three quarters of the way through.
Yes good luck @Peter Salt ! Already 3 hours in at this point, fair play to you
Cheers Lads. And thanks for encouraging messages on the course too - they helped a little.

Yeah, I had an amateur pit crew, @IrishAl - got just two pairs for indoor so they washed and dried them for me after each ascent. Mostly ate sweet snacks but complemented them with very salty gnocchi.

Legs feeling fine - well about as fine as they can after a long time on the bike. Feet, knees, hips all in order. Even sit bones took the pressure just fine. Energy levels OK, and all that. Unfortunately, the weak link turned out to be chafing - peeled off my skin on 4th ascent, despite very generous lubing. 5th ascent after that wasn't too bad but when I got to 6th the pain was quite bad with every pedal stroke - could barely hold 120 watts.

But made it all the way up and got the badge.
I think it has to be at 100% TD to count for vEveresting…
I wasn't really planning on submitting but now will probably do. Read the rules and they seem a bit more relaxed nowadays.

mjd1988

Guru
Just over 230km and nearly 9000m of elevation (~145 miles / 29,500ft).

Riding time of 13.5h and elapsed of 15.5.

First four ascents at a steady pace of just under 2h each. Then 2:20 when changing started and the last, really painful one, was over 3h.

I've done ventop once, 4 years ago, and it took me over 2 hours 🤣. I actually can't believe it has been there for 4 years

Brusgaard

Über Guru
I've done ventop once, 4 years ago, and it took me over 2 hours 🤣. I actually can't believe it has been there for 4 years

Yes, I did it once too, 1h50m for the climb itself. I remember spending more than 2 hours, so I guess there is a lead-in of sorts? After the ordeal, I said to myself “Never again!”.

EDIT: 2h18m including the downhill part, no lead-in it seems.

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
If you do the Ven-Top route, there is a bit of a lead-in from the pens before the actual Ventoux segment officially starts of 2 km / 1.2 miles, but even that is slightly uphill (2.8% avg, 8% max) so most people do regard the whole route as being the climb.

I've only done it once; 2h 24 for Ventoux, 2h 30 for Ven-Top and that was a low Zone 2 effort with a 3 minute break at halfway. Think I could take at least ten minutes off that time with a high Zone 2 but the monotony of it does not appeal.

Last edited:

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Cheers Lads. And thanks for encouraging messages on the course too - they helped a little.

Yeah, I had an amateur pit crew, @IrishAl - got just two pairs for indoor so they washed and dried them for me after each ascent. Mostly ate sweet snacks but complemented them with very salty gnocchi.

Legs feeling fine - well about as fine as they can after a long time on the bike. Feet, knees, hips all in order. Even sit bones took the pressure just fine. Energy levels OK, and all that. Unfortunately, the weak link turned out to be chafing - peeled off my skin on 4th ascent, despite very generous lubing. 5th ascent after that wasn't too bad but when I got to 6th the pain was quite bad with every pedal stroke - could barely hold 120 watts.

But made it all the way up and got the badge.

I wasn't really planning on submitting but now will probably do. Read the rules and they seem a bit more relaxed nowadays.

Well done Pete. That many times up Ventop deserves huge credit. I averaged around 1hour per ascent on the vE on AdZ so it broke the torture into nice chunks. I can only imagine the pain of peeled undercarriage skin. Can we have a pic? 📸 😷

IrishAl

** Full Time Pro **
Shared route
From Palma Nova, 07181, Balearic Islands, Spain to Sóller, 07100, Balearic Islands, Spain via Ma-10.

3 hr 41 min (56 km)
To see this route visit https://maps.app.goo.gl/jXjtKRPWzDQUBFmE9

Yes Soller would be the place to go. Bunyola is a nice small town / village with a quaint square and cafes for a stop off. I didn’t get to them but I was told Deia and Valdemossa are nice too - you could combine Andy’s route with a return via those 2 towns.
https://cycle.travel/map/journey/549087 - this route has part of the Deia and Valdemossa Soller route that you would need. The website cycle.travel seems good for route plotting and getting you off the busy A roads.

Another possible destination is Puig Randa - nice monastary and military radar station on the summit - about a 10/15 minute climb with great panoramic views in the centre of the island.

Top Bottom