Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
A day off coincided with Light winds and promised bright weather. Headed off north to the Howgills when the frost had melted, meandering through villages and then past Killington lake before a climb to Fox’s Pulpit. This was where George Fox of the Quakers addressed a congregatio. Enjoyed a flask and snack by the pulpit and views down Lonsdale. Had a late lunch in the lovely Kirby Lonsdale. Cold start then bright with views to the snowy Lake District. All changed after lunch when the cloud came over and it was a slog home.

Last edited:
A wet ride this afternoon but it had to be done ? Wind was back but only 18mph so not too bad but it was from the NE so a bit cool, luckily I had that extra layer on to keep the wet at bay. I only saw one other intrepid cyclist about and had a nice nod presumably he was thinking that he was`nt the only nutcase cycling in the rain ! Not much to mention on my well ridden route ( I am sure there are grooves in the road from my frequent usage). I did get one close pass by a plonker who despite approaching a 40mph limit, from 60 and also despite a vehicle coming in the other direction he had to pass me, only then to slow for said 40 limit. I did shake my fist for what good it did. Brains the size of peas springs to mind.
I did have a good ride considering the rain, hav`nt cycled in the rain for ages. The airing cupboard is my friend. At least it was wet rain, now don`t laugh, what I mean is, it kept the bike clean unlike riding on drier but muddy roads which sticks like limpets to a rock. 23 miles covered at a 16.2 mph average. Total now on 708 miles so far. Roll on wearing shorts again and fewer layers.
These primroses were taken earlier in the week but I did pass them again today, near Wickham Skeith.

gavgav

Legendary Member
After 2 days of Coronavirus hysteria at work, I was in much need of a ride and so I nipped out for a short one, on a lovely clear evening.

Through the local estates and then up the cycle paths, to Heathgates. Down through Castlefields and along Sydney Avenue, which is still officially closed by barriers, following the floods, but I knew I could get through fine, with the river being mostly back in its banks.

The towpath is still closed, with water on it and it’ll need a good clean as well, before they will open it, so it was over the footbridge and into Monkmoor, before I took a road I hadn’t cycled on before, to have a nose at the new Taylor Wimpey housing development at Weir Hill.

Continued along London Rd, which is also closed other than for access to frontages, but there was a lot of traffic on it! Up Ebnal Rd and down Wenlock Rd, to avoid the section that is properly closed and then around the Business Park, before arriving back home.

10:2 miles at 11.5 mph avg.

footloose crow

Über Member
Out for a run round a regular circuit today, nearing home on a narrow road just wide enough for two cars to squeeze past, when I saw a woman with a dog ahead of me and walking in the same direction in the middle of the road. I always find myself in a bit of dilemma in this situation. Do I ring my bell once from a good distance so as not to alarm the pedestrian? Or leave it until I am closer when I might scare them but know that they will hear the bell? Or do I reduce speed and pass silently, but on which side do I pass?
Anyway, today i rang my bell from a distance but got no response from the pedestrian, rang again when quite close, but again no response. I adjusted speed and positioned myself to pass with a good margin of safety, Just as I passed her the pedestrian said "Oh!" so obviously got a bit of fright, then said "Ah, it was you that was ringing the bell"
I gave a friendly wave and said yes.:biggrin:
I have the same dilemma about bells. They sound imperious. ‘Get out of my way!’

I have taken to attracting attention with a cheery “Good xxx (time of day). I am going to pass on your right.”

Then the bell.

Then I stop when the dog gets under the wheels.

And sometimes for good measure I forget I am clipped in and fall over.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Just been for a 4.5 miles jaunt on the Twenty I got last year, first time I’ve ridden it over a few hundred feet. Pumped the tyres, splashed a bit of oil on the chain, raised the seat post and off I went. No problem apart from the saddle and the post bouncing down the road when I went over a bump, I raised it to much! 😂.
The saddle is a P.O.S. I took it out just to see what it was like to ride. It horrible. Awful.

Last edited:

Old jon

Guru
Bright sunshine and a gentle breeze. In March. Never mind, wheel out the geared bike and ride off in the direction of away. Or in this case, Holbeck.

Office Lock and along the towpath to Viaduct Road, start the drag up to Headingley. This might just have given me an appetite for uphill, but after more up to the Ring Road I had no desire to take the left onto Otley Old Road all the way up to the water tower at Cookridge. Mind, the queue at Church Lane lights, and the roadworks lights about fifty yards past almost made me head for that hill. I turned right instead to pass Adel Church on my way to the eastern side of Golden Acre Park and the drop to the roundabout at Bramhope.

Feeling the cold though, ride through the outskirts then left onto Breary Lane and up to the old village centre. I passed the Methodist church on the way. Not chapel, church, with a steeple and all. How the purple frog have I not noticed this in all these years? I have ridden the road often enough. Ah well. Turn left, this road leads to the water tower mentioned earlier. At the top of the hill I had no desire to climb. It must be different to climb the other side, or something. It is a fairly narrow road, a number of drivers were happy to wait for a wider bit to overtake.

Hills do not ascend forever, so WHEEEEE! Back down to the Ring Road. And lose more altitude all the way through Headingley to return to the towpath at Kirkstall. Which leaves three or four quiet miles back to home and the hot shower to thaw my circulation back to life. Twenty two miles nudged the year’s total over 450 and pasted a grin on my phizog. More tomorrow!

Geography

06032020.jpg

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There was a window of free time in the Fragrant MrsP’s schedule so we got the road bikes out seeing as it was sunny and the roads were mostly dry. A trip via Blewbury, the Astons, through Wallingford and on to the edge of Benson for a bacon sandwich and a brew at The Waterside restaurant by the Thames. Then on through Shillingford, back over the river, through Wallingford again down Cholsey and back home. There were a few prats about in cars today, I did my best not to let it spoil the ride but sometimes I wish I had a sub-machine gun with me. 😡

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
Amazing, second day off and second day of great weather! Had to get out so had a short excursion over the Trough of Bowland, cafe stop in Dunsop Bridge and then off to Chipping. Cold start but the sun got out later. Took these photos at the col marking the trough of Bowland. Interesting stone pillar telling me I was entering Yorkshire which surprised me and then some memorials to cyclists.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Up and over to Colwall for me first thing. Pete M rolled up to the meet looking weary. Too much squash apparently. We headed for Mathon and on along an under used lane to eventually climb to Acton Green. Pete's weariness seemed to have evaporated on the climb. We dropped away to dodge through a few lesser used lanes to our cafe at The Hop Pocket near Bishop's Frome.
Much chat later Canon Frome was our aim. Turning for Gold Hill the sign said "Road Closed". We rode that way anyway to find no problem at all. So we were good for Harbour Hill and on for Catley Southfield. The hill to Coddington doesn't get any easier. Back at Colwall I headed for the Evendine climb. Up on Jubilee Drive I met John B coming the other way so a stop for a catch up was a must. Eventually I just had to drop off the Hill to home and the end of a lovely little ride under blue skies. 38 smiles

geocycle

Legendary Member
Interesting about road closed signs. I had three yesterday, one was just a water main, the other a bridge and The third a white lining team. more than usual?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I always seem to be a day or so late in posting here. So, it was actually on Wednesday that I took the fixed out for the usual Wednesday Pubrun (clue's in the name). It's a different pub each week. This one was medium distance at 24k each way. It was drizzling on the way out and raining on the way back, but the beer at the Maltsters was good, the service friendly, and the pub warm.
I haven't cleaned the bike yet.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Not really a proper ride just my afternoon commute but for the first time in ages there was warm sunshine, blue sky, no rain and no wind! Only 4 miles each way but a lovely day to be out. Looks like the wind will be back tomorrow though.

Happy Saturday guys :okay:
Well, after all the rubbish weather it was rather nice out and about this morning, i seem to have picked a good window early on. To be honest the nicest ride this year, after some frankly unpleasant hours in the saddle during February.

St Lawrence Little Stanmore, about 1520, but on site of original church from 1200's. Some nice little villages in the area linked by quiet roads. Couldn't spend too long out as stuff to do, but a very enjoyable 22 miler.

Top Bottom