YHA Selling a Third of its Hostels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Had breakfast and tea at a YHA today. Very nice food and Very reasonable too. Worth checking out if they do it at any hostels you're near.

grldtnr

Über Member
Had breakfast and tea at a YHA today. Very nice food and Very reasonable too. Worth checking out if they do it at any hostels you're near.

If there are any left open !

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My memories of YHA's, even as recently as 4 years ago, we're as self catering. Great kitchens with every utensil necessary to make meals etc.
Food the wasn't takeable when you moved on was left on the 'everyone please use' shelf.

I don't remember any of the places I stayed as having a café / restaurant.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
I've used YH 's many times over the years, mainly for cycle touring but more recently for walking and family breaks.

Have great memories of the cycling tours, where a group of six of us would pootle around stopping for long lunches and even longer evenings.

Ones we used over the years were.....

Brecon
Capel y Ffin ( now closed )
Salisbury ( now closed )
Minehead ( for sale )
St. Bravials
Clyffe Pypard
Ridgeway ( now privately owned ? )
Danywenyllt
Street ( now closed ? )

Last year myself and the family stayed at the Brecon Beacons YHA in Libanus, sleeping in a wooden lodge in the woods.... Highly recommend this YH and good location to do Pen Y Fan etc.

Brecon's closed too. But Libanus and Danywenallt are still open.

This report on nearby Ystradfellte's closure from back in 2005 shows up the lunacy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/4350543.stm

The YHA's review of its 227 hostels in England and Wales looked at occupancy levels, as well as the investment needed to bring the buildings up to the three-star standard set by the Wales Tourist Board.
Why does a rural hostel deep in the Brecon Beacons have to be up to a three-star standard?

From 227 hostels to 40 in less than 20 years - that's mismanagement on a spectacular scale.

Mike_P

Guru
From 227 hostels to 40 in less than 20 years - that's mismanagement on a spectacular scale.
Maybe but what has been the growth in camp sites, holiday lodges etc in the equivalent period. The availability of overnight accommodation is wholly different nowadays. When I used the YHAs in Scotland in the 1980s a some were used for more than one night, today other accommodation would no doubt be used.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Did they make you do the washing up before you left? ;)

Chores disappeared towards the end of the 80s. Thus at least 30 years ago.

On reflection I'm not entirely sure I trust the Telegraph's figure of 60->40 hostels. The YHA website lists 143. Some of these are "affiliate" hostels, some are "YHA Enterprise" (privately owned but offered as part of the YHA network), some are available for exclusive hire only (presumably because there aren't enough Airbnbs in the world). So depending how you count it, it could feasibly be less than 143. But 60/40 seems implausibly low.

The place to look is the Charity Commission register, it's all there by law, including the annual accounts.

Thanks.

From that I get:

Charitable objects​

A) TO HELP ALL, ESPECIALLY YOUNG PEOPLE OF LIMITED MEANS, TO A GREATER KNOWLEDGE, LOVE AND CARE OF THE COUNTRYSIDE, AND APPRECIATION OF THE CULTURAL VALUES OF TOWNS AND CITIES, PARTICULARLY BY PROVIDING YOUTH HOSTELS OR OTHER ACCOMMODATION FOR THEM IN THEIR TRAVELS, AND THUS TO PROMOTE THEIR HEALTH, RECREATION AND EDUCATION; B) SUCH OTHER CHARITABLE PURPOSES AS THE TRUSTEES SHALL IN THEIR ABSOLUTE DISCRETION FROM TIME TO TIME THINK FIT.

Discuss!

Spartak