Yet another elderly person killed by a cyclist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
From Times

Elderly woman died days after cyclist sent her ‘flying’ on Thames towpath, court told
Rider charged with causing bodily harm by ‘wanton or furious driving’ following fatal collision with 81-year-old

Fiona Parker SENIOR NEWS REPORTER
8 July 2024 • 9:51pm
Edward Bressan is accused of cycling 'wantonly or furiously'
An 81-year-old woman died after a collision with a cyclist on a towpath sent her “flying through the air”, a court has heard.

Polly Friedhoff “sustained serious injuries to her head, arms and ribs” and died 12 days after Edward Bressan tried to overtake her on the left-hand side, as she walked with her friend Ewa Huggins near Iffley Lock, Oxford.

Mr Bressan, 56, told police he had rung a bell to signal to Mrs Friedhoff and her companion as he went to overtake the pair.

ExBrit

Über Member
From Times

Elderly woman died days after cyclist sent her ‘flying’ on Thames towpath, court told
Rider charged with causing bodily harm by ‘wanton or furious driving’ following fatal collision with 81-year-old

Fiona Parker SENIOR NEWS REPORTER
8 July 2024 • 9:51pm
Edward Bressan is accused of cycling 'wantonly or furiously'
An 81-year-old woman died after a collision with a cyclist on a towpath sent her “flying through the air”, a court has heard.

Polly Friedhoff “sustained serious injuries to her head, arms and ribs” and died 12 days after Edward Bressan tried to overtake her on the left-hand side, as she walked with her friend Ewa Huggins near Iffley Lock, Oxford.

Mr Bressan, 56, told police he had rung a bell to signal to Mrs Friedhoff and her companion as he went to overtake the pair.

I don't know the details of this tragic case, but from experience whether you are quiet or noisy, ring a bell or call out, some pedestrians will simply step in front of you just as you go by, oblivious to the possibility that someone else might be using the trail too. That's why I always video my rides.

At 81 she probably didn't hear the bell and had no idea he was about to pass her. One incautious step in the wrong direction and it's over. I feel almost as sorry for him as I do for her. I'm sure he's devastated.

Drago

Legendary Member
Three by lighting strike...

We don't know the ins and outs, but simply dinging ones bell isn't enough. One needs to wait and see the person act accordingly before ploughing on.

While I'm all for the idea that cyclists do get unfair treatment form the media, society, the law, the French and even the Martians, there's no escaping the fact that some cyclists are guilty.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Obviously scant details as yet on this one, but I definitely think its cyclists responsibility to take care around pedestrians.

I got caught out a few years ago now on a canal tow path ringing a bell and shouting an audible warning at 2 boys who simply refused to move. It was only as I squeezed by them that I noticed both had hearing aids and were obviously very hard of hearing. I stopped and apologised and they were fine about it but I learned my lesson, which is another reason I just prefer being on the road.

Drago

Legendary Member
It won't help a jot. Even the dumbest and most ignorant cyclist already knows you can't go around killing pedestrians. They're already ignoring a bunch of laws when they kill, so adding another law or regulation will just be something else for them to ignore

It might assist the question of determining financial liability, but that's a fat lot of use to a dead person.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Indeed. The likely question at the core of any prosecution will be whether the cyclist acted prudently, as in slowing enough if space was tight, or waiting if there was insufficient space to pass. Remember highway code rule 163 says "allow at least 2 metres of space and keep to a low speed when passing a pedestrian who is walking in the road".

I think this happening on a towpath or any no-motors road/route introduces a red herring. Similar situations easily occur on country lanes, where they can actually be more difficult because there's no water's edge that walkers usually keep way from.

simongt

Guru
On my way home today, an elderly lady pressed the button on a Pelican crossing as I was about three or four metres away; it was green in my favour, then she immediately stepped off the footpath onto the crossing, although she didn't proceed any further, whilst staring at 'her' light on the opposite side presumably waiting for it to change.
I immediately called out 'Wait, wait, wait - !' to her, but she seemed completely oblivious to my presence and proximity whilst she carried on staring at the light. :eek:
Proves the point that cyclists have to be so vigilant regarding the possibly erratic behavior of older folk.
And I'm 71 - ! :laugh:

classic33

Leg End Member
Water to one side of the path/road limits the options for all involved. Especially as there's usually an unfenced drop on a canal towpath. Combined with limited movement away from the water, to allow for a safe pass.

It's a reason I'm against sharing a footpath with pedestrians.

So facts are cyclist was coming from behind two elderly pedestrians on a towpath. Elderly 1 moved away, elderly 2 moved in the other direction and got hit by the cyclist and died from injuries. She should not have died so how could it be prevented. Perhaps by cyclists stopping if necessary until they do move out of the way for you and it is perfectly safe to go past.

I lived on the side of a canal and often as as family rode on it with our then young son. Never once have I hit a pedestrian or even come close. It is my opinion is that it is not possible to accidentally hit a pedestrian on a towpath if there is a line of sight from the cyclist to the pedestrian unless you have made a bad choice. By that I guess I mean that if a cyclist hits a pedestrian it is down to a bad decision of the cyclist such as going too fast or assuming someone hass heard their bell, understood what it is, where it came from and the best way to move for safe passing.

Bear in mind that if you are approaching a pedestrian as a cyclist, they might not hear you coming which then leads to issues with understanding the meaning of a bell. What I mean is a bell sound being heard does not always equate to understanding what the significance of it is, where it came from and how to move out of the way in thee best direction. The understanding sometimes really only happens when you have actually reached them.

That can be frustrating as a cyclist! I remember ducking off the main road home from work once onto the canal towwpath running alongside due to traffic being a very dodgy and dangerous prospect due to roadworks effectively directing goods vehicles down a rather innapropriate route as a rat run. I approached two women at most late 50s in sports attire walking with their arms moving as in a walking form of running for exercise. They were happily chatting as they walked. I rang my bell several times from far off and even shouted a couple of times as I got nearer. Not one reaction. I reached the point right behind them matching their pace about a bike length behind. I then shouted loudly and they were actually surprised by my presence! chatting and deep in conversation kind of eliminated them hearing anything other than the conversation. They then proceeded to jump in opposite directions, realise their mistake and kind of do a dance while they worked out how to get out of my way. Needless to say I waited for them to settle on that before safely cycling past.

My point being that pedestrians can be unpredictable but often there is no malice or bad feeling in that, just that they do not register and act quickly. As cyclists it is in our interest as much as theirs that we do not hit them. If that means getting off and walking past then so be it. No assumptions should be made. This really makes me think that the cyclist, coming from behind, has an even greater responsibility to make thee safe pass. He did not make a safe pass so he has to take the blame for that. However I am not a lawyer and am making no claim for criminality only that this is my opinion based on my experience of canal towpaths living near one, cycling on it and walking on it for many years. and most evenings.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So facts are cyclist was coming from behind two elderly pedestrians on a towpath. Elderly 1 moved away, elderly 2 moved in the other direction and got hit by the cyclist and died from injuries. She should not have died so how could it be prevented. Perhaps by cyclists stopping if necessary until they do move out of the way for you and it is perfectly safe to go past.
We don't know the facts. The courts will decide but even they weren't there. I have seen a tourist in a city walk into a stopped cyclist and sort of bounce off, going sprawling to ground, which is probably rare but it can happen. Let's not condemn anyone before the courts do.

Top Bottom