Will power and urges to buy cycling stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s not the posession that gives pleasure, but the riding. The solution is to go ride and you’ll soon feel better.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

The storage is the major problem. House is in a bit of a state. We started rennovating, but then there was a pandemic, followed by high interest rates so we are saving to pay a big chunk of the mortgage when our current fix ends later this year. Garage is full of bits I've collected for fixing up the house. I've got four bikes squeezed in there - I don't think I could get away with another!

I would quite like a race inspired plastic bike for those rare days when the sun is shining and there's nothing better to do, but I get almost as much pleasure from the bikes I've got. Especially the CGR Ti.

Chislenko

Veteran
With regard to freshening up your CV the best day of your life will be the day you don't need to worry about it anymore and you can unsubscribe from Job Agencies and Linkedin.

And with regard to clothing six whole years after finishing my works t shirts are still fine for doing the garden in and the gaberdine works trousers are great for winter walking.

Back to bikes though, I no longer crave any new ones, what I have will do me until the day I drop (unless I go electric one day).

It's not the money for me, it is the space.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
As someone who's still recognising how mentally damaging the enormous amount of clutter is that I've accrued over a lifetime, I'd urge restraint.

I like nice things and am not shy of obtaining them if I really want them, however IME rash, impulse, comfort-driven purchases rarely turn out well; wasting money, causing grief and of course contributing to that grotty consumption culture that's slowly destroying us and the planet.

Getting stuff because the simple act of doing so makes you feel better short-term is unhelpful at best and I'd urge you to avoid it. Sit on the idea for a month and if you're still keen, maybe reconsider. Otherwise take pleasure in what you have and the lack of baggage that comes with not owning everything..

Currently while I frequently see things I like and would be powerless to resist if the right item presented itself under the right circumstances (all old gear so nothing I can just go out and buy new, thankfully) my prevailing mindset is currently to strip back what I own to the bare minimum, since with possessions come the potential for future grief - be that through storage, maintenance, cost or disposal... a fair trade-off for stuff I really love, but a cost too-high for things aquired frivilously for which I have neither real want or need.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

Über Member
I am very good at resisting buying things even if I have had a shitty day. Usually they are things I would like, but actually have no real reason to buy.

Lone Wolf

Über Member
I suggest buying a jersey that expresses how you feel. Something like this would work for me.

View attachment 733814
I know what you mean. I just ordered this.
7409AED5-3B6B-48C5-9423-8EAD57237A85.png

All uphill

Still rolling along
As someone who's still recognising how mentally damaging the enormous amount of clutter is that I've accrued over a lifetime, I'd urge restraint.

I like nice things and am not shy of obtaining them if I really want them, however IME rash, impulse, comfort-driven purchases rarely turn out well; wasting money, causing grief and of course contributing to that grotty consumption culture that's slowly destroying us and the planet.

Getting stuff because the simple act of doing so makes you feel better short-term is unhelpful at best and I'd urge you to avoid it. Sit on the idea for a month and if you're still keen, maybe reconsider. Otherwise take pleasure in what you have and the lack of baggage that comes with not owning everything..

Currently while I frequently see things I like and would be powerless to resist if the right item presented itself under the right circumstances (all old gear so nothing I can just go out and buy new, thankfully) my prevailing mindset is currently to strip back what I own to the bare minimum, since with possessions come the potential for future grief - be that through storage, maintenance, cost or disposal... a fair trade-off for stuff I really love, but a cost too-high for things aquired frivilously for which I have neither real want or need.

I agree; for me the pleasure from buying things I don't need pales when compared with the pleasure of being out on the bike.

The time of danger for me are the dark winter nights. I've got a Temple bike in the garage; I bought the frame and built it in the winter, and have only ridden it about 150 miles since.

I've had more pleasure and ridden far more miles on the £25 folding bike I bought this spring.

Last edited:

wafter

I agree; for me the pleasure from buying things I don't need pales when compared with the pleasure of being out on the bike.

The time of danger for me are the dark winter nights. I've got a Temple bike in the garage; I bought the frame and built it in the winter, and have only ridden it about 150 miles since.

I've had more pleasure and ridden far more miles on the £25 folding bike I bought this spring.

Absolutely - tbh I can't really remember the last time I bought something and felt 100% good about the process itself; as it's usually dogged with some level of self-doubt, indecisiveness, questions as to whether I should spend the money on something else that takes up space..

Sorry to hear about the Temple - that looks like such a great project. What's the issue with it?

Lone Wolf

Über Member
Agree. I've been tempted to a Paris Galibier and a Mercian audax bike, but have not succumbed as I know that I don't really need them regardless of the temptation and the temporary 'I could do with this' mindset at the time. :okay:

I’ve been tempted with a Paris Galibier as well but I already have my Pashley.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Absolutely - tbh I can't really remember the last time I bought something and felt 100% good about the process itself; as it's usually dogged with some level of self-doubt, indecisiveness, questions as to whether I should spend the money on something else that takes up space..

Sorry to hear about the Temple - that looks like such a great project. What's the issue with it?

The Temple is great; I just need to use it more so that I become more confident with it.

wafter

The Temple is great; I just need to use it more so that I become more confident with it.

Cool - glad to hear it :smile:

Sounds like as you say it just needs a bit more time. Perhaps similarly my utility bikes are seeing by far the most use currently..

Top Bottom