Why Drivers Can't See Cyclists!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
I posted a new thread without seeing this one, must have been merged.

Drago

Legendary Member
is it the motion camouflage phenonomomonon?
Lighting - we know how the brain judges the speed of an oncoming vehicle by the rate at which it gets apparently bigger in relation to its surroundings. So far so good.

This is why headlights during the day are bad - they break up the outline of the image, making it impossible to judge the speed. Proper low wattage day running lights are much safer.

Motorcyclists have had this foisted on the by Europe and modern bikes gave their dipped beam permanently on. Keep an eye out on motorbikes and eventually you will se that you can spot the headlight, but often not the bike and rider behind it until its almost on top of you.

All the bike manufacturers fought this, including Honda who own a major search light manufacturer so have world leading expertise in the science of optics. They argued for lower wattage lighting spaced apart, such as at bar ends or maybe with a theirs on the front mudguard to form a triangle. This makes the bike conspicuous, but aids soeed calculation as the onlookers brain had a ready reference as the lights apparently get further apart ad the bike gets nearer.

But no, the unelected Eurocrats decided daytime headlights were the way forward, despite there being zero evidence they are effective in anything other than sub-arctic climates.

It's the fluorescent wearing safety without logic culture gone mad.

Davidc

Guru
A good article. Not much new but it pulls it all together well.

Selective Attention is important in many SMIDSYS.

I've never done an AD test but did do defensive driving training. A significant part of defensive driving is improving observation, and when shown how much I had missed in a mile of driving I nearly decided to give up driving. That was despite being the best in the group of 12*. Most of the hazards I missed or was late with were selective attention issues, which is what the driver centre expect.

*Question from the trainer - "Do you ride a bike?". If there are regular cyclists on their courses they are apparently always the best at this.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Lighting - we know how the brain judges the speed of an oncoming vehicle by the rate at which it gets apparently bigger in relation to its surroundings. So far so good.

This is why headlights during the day are bad - they break up the outline of the image, making it impossible to judge the speed. Proper low wattage day running lights are much safer.

Motorcyclists have had this foisted on the by Europe and modern bikes gave their dipped beam permanently on. Keep an eye out on motorbikes and eventually you will se that you can spot the headlight, but often not the bike and rider behind it until its almost on top of you.

All the bike manufacturers fought this, including Honda who own a major search light manufacturer so have world leading expertise in the science of optics. They argued for lower wattage lighting spaced apart, such as at bar ends or maybe with a theirs on the front mudguard to form a triangle. This makes the bike conspicuous, but aids soeed calculation as the onlookers brain had a ready reference as the lights apparently get further apart ad the bike gets nearer.

But no, the unelected Eurocrats decided daytime headlights were the way forward, despite there being zero evidence they are effective in anything other than sub-arctic climates.

It's the fluorescent wearing safety without logic culture gone mad.

does that mean i get my bonus point or not? :shy:

chewy

Very interesting, and well explained!

Antelope for tea anyone?

sidevalve

Über Member
Very nice but I notice it mentions hi vis gear, obviosly a no no for the " I won't take any resposibility for my own safety" brigade and also it all boils down to one thing in the end - THINK AHEAD, look for what is there, not what you think is there,be it car, ped, bike or dirty great pothole [and that applies to cyclists too]. Long explanations are fine, but most people glaze over after the first few seconds. Why you miss things is of no importance, the trick is a short sharp message driven home and made to be remembered and understood.

subaqua

What’s the point
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

Well, I was taught about this when I was learning to drive back in the early 80's. Didn't even know it had a name then but I was taught to counter it by looking properly.

same here, when i was learning to pass a test and then later when taught to drive safely by a police instructor/driver (who didn't write any manuals but used the readily available roadcraft)

asterix

Comrade Member
http://www.londoncyclist.co.uk/raf-pilot-teach-cyclists/

Well, I was taught about this when I was learning to drive back in the early 80's. Didn't even know it had a name then but I was taught to counter it by looking properly.

My dad was a war time pilot in an artillery spotter plane. If there's one pilot who needs to see everything it was those guys. Cruising around at less than a quarter of the speed of a Messerschmitt 109, within small arms ground fire range and returning to base over 'friendly' shell fire, looking out for pylons and cables, good observation was crucial. When he taught me to drive he made darned sure I looked and looked. As he had done in wartime he also made me keep the windscreen and mirrors spotless. All useful stuff..

subaqua

What’s the point
My dad was a war time pilot in an artillery spotter plane. If there's one pilot who needs to see everything it was those guys. Cruising around at less than a quarter of the speed of a Messerschmitt 109, within small arms ground fire range and returning to base over 'friendly' shell fire, looking out for pylons and cables, good observation was crucial. When he taught me to drive he made darned sure I looked and looked. As he had done in wartime he also made me keep the windscreen and mirrors spotless. All useful stuff..

thats the one thing i HATE about getting in wifeys car. the cruddy film on the inside of the window.

Top Bottom