Who are these people?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Everyday on Google and other platforms I receive news that so and so or somebody else has done something or is now dating xyandz.

Am I the only person who has no idea who these people are?

I can safely say that it’s not me. So there’s that.

Tenkaykev

Guru
IMG_6018.jpeg

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It’s a modern thing.

Back in the 80s we had 3/4 to channels. Everyone watched the same stuff and had the same social reference in their life.

Today there is more TV being made than can ever be watched. Plus social media and music.

Everyone is fighting for exposure, so you end up with “news” telling you that someone you’ve never heard of is dating another person you’ve never heard of.

But stuff this isn’t aimed at you, it’s aimed at the youth audience with some cash to Splash. Once you get over 30 you are essentially useless to marketing people, as your tastes are now set and your disposable income is accounted for by mortgages and dependents.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I am realising very quickly that I'm out of touch with so called populist entertainment culture. And I'm glad. A lot of them are on soaps or TV programmes that I don't watch, same goes for YouTubers. If we think about it, our parents were probably the same. I remember my dad telling me that some musician had died, maybe from Metallica. I said Dad that's Kurt Cobain from Nirvana, he said "who"?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You lot don't seem to know what TikGram FaceTok or InstaBook are.. No wonder you can't keep up with the important things in life!

I really don't get these 'influencers'. There seems to be a number of cycling influencers that pop up on my Instagram - blagging free bikes and travelling all over (hardly very green is it) to ride their bikes. Fame is very short lived - they won't be flavour of the month in a short time.

markemark

Über Member
I really don't get these 'influencers'. There seems to be a number of cycling influencers that pop up on my Instagram - blagging free bikes and travelling all over (hardly very green is it) to ride their bikes. Fame is very short lived - they won't be flavour of the month in a short time.

That's not the point. It is not about fame but they create an audience and capitalise on it. Whilst they can maintain/grow their audience they can earn money. It is very hard to breakthrough but the very small number that do, it is a profitable business that requires skill, time and effort to achieve.

Alex321

Guru

I don't think most of them are particularly trying to be "green". It certainly isn't something mentioned much, if at all, by the ones I watch.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am old enough and wise enough to realise that not everyone has the same interests as myself, that I know people who do not get up at 5am like I do are extremely odd, that people who ride a certain style of bike different to the one's I own are odd, and can you imagine wearing a belt that does not match your shoes. In truth, I enjoy the fact we are all different.

The thing I do really find peculiar is why some people get really wound up by what interests other people.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
I am old enough and wise enough to realise that not everyone has the same interests as myself, that I know people who do not get up at 5am like I do are extremely odd, that people who ride a certain style of bike different to the one's I own are odd, and can you imagine wearing a belt that does not match your shoes. In truth, I enjoy the fact we are all different.

The thing I do really find peculiar is why some people get really wound up by what interests other people.

When did you return screenman, not seen your name on here for a while.

Top Bottom