Which computer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bauldbairn

I know it's not a fancy computer but I recently bought a NiteRider Rebel 1.0(the bottom of the range) and have found it more than meets my requirements at the moment. I only mention it because when I was looking for a cycle computer I couldn't find any reviews on them(NiteRider).

Initially I started off looking for the most basic functions, then after I'd looked at all the Catseye,Blackburn,Specialized,Cyclops,Mavic,VDO,Sigma etc websites, reviews and applications - cadence, temp, heartrate, pacing, sat nav etc,etc,etc. I'd managed to convinced myself I needed to spend about £150(or more) on an all singing, all dancing state of the art cycle computer.

Then I sat down and thought what it was I was using it for - wasn't training for the Olympics - or a Triathelete - or Ironman etc.

I actually only wanted it for mileage and top speed(its handy to know what speed your doing in traffic). The NiteRider Rebel 1.0 fits the bill for the time being.
Its rugged - well built - functions easy to access - has a back light - is easy to set up - clicks reasuringly into its holder - turns on automatically when you start cycling - sleep mode - and is waterproof and only cost £20.

If you need any more functions there are more advanced models in the range(upto Rebel 8.0 digital wireless + altimeter) - I'm sure one to meet most peopls requirements, but nobody seems to mention them - NiteRider.:evil:

Just another opinion / option for you to consider.

ps, I don't work for NR(honest), just a satisfied customer.;)

oxford_guy

Über Member
If you can, go for one that has digital wireless, to avoid weird readings - my old Cateye used to log me going at over 80mph sometimes...

oxford_guy

Über Member
BTW I got a VDO X2DW computer recently, it has digital wireless and works okay and has a very clear screen, but it goes into "sleep mode" when not in use (to save battery, not necessarily a bad thing), but that means you have to press a button to wake it up, which I often forget to do, would rather have something that automatically turns on when you start moving... Does anyone know if the Mavic computers turn on automatically? If so, I'm tempted...

jamesxyz

The 2009 mavic models need to be turned on too - not difficult to remember tho is it - how far do you go before looking at the speedo?

If you have a second sensor kit it automatically detects what bike you're riding tho'

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
oxford_guy said:
BTW I got a VDO X2DW computer recently, it has digital wireless and works okay and has a very clear screen, but it goes into "sleep mode" when not in use (to save battery, not necessarily a bad thing), but that means you have to press a button to wake it up, which I often forget to do, would rather have something that automatically turns on when you start moving... Does anyone know if the Mavic computers turn on automatically? If so, I'm tempted...
I have an older VDO (C2DS), which has "sleep mode" but this is not activiated unless there is no input for 30 mins. Otherwise, it stops in about 3 secs (so not recording when stopped at traffic lights etc) and starts up automatically. AFAIK this is true of all VDOs.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
aJohnson said:
Ah nice, how do you find it?

I get a free computer when I subscribed to Cycling + which has cadence I think, so I'll be waiting for that to test that first.

i got that free computer as well, fitted it to the bike and decided the wires were just too big and messy looking so i took it straight back off again. I'm a bit fussy like that.

gonna put it up for sale when i get round to it ;)

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
Garz said:
Is it a HRM also?

the free cycle plus computer ??? no it's not

it's a blackburn delphi 3

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
well this month you get a free cycle plus jersey, i would of waited a month if I'd known :wacko:

but then i sorted mine out on the phone. i subscribed a few months ago, got a free shirt and then the idiots canceled the subscription by mistake. they don't even know why ???

so i called them and they set it up again and gave me the computer, so I've had two free gifts. but i'd rather of had another shirt ;)

OP
OP
aJohnson

aJohnson

I see what you mean about the computer, the wires are so messy I think I may not even use it.

Also which idiot decided to write the instructions, one of the first pages it shows the sensor being attached to the front fork aswell as the magnet. Next page it tells you to put it on the back wheel, what the hell? Wasted zip ties there.

Crankarm

Guru
I can recommend the Sigma Rox 9.0. It has everything you could want on a cycling computer. It's a bit pricey but worth it. The HRM has been spot on despite me thinking this would be it's Achilles heel so to speak. You can download your rides into Sigma's software for in depth analysis. It's all wireless and doesn't seem to suffer from interference issues. It also displays temperature which is quite handy.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bicycle-pulse-monitors/sigma-rox-90.html

Top Bottom