Which bike should I choose?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Moyster

Regular
I’ take the FX1 over the FX2. The brake components on the fx2 are entry level hydraulic, these won’t be as reliable or long lasting as the mechanical discs on the FX1. For my money I’d save for another while and buy the fx3… a much better selection of bits are used on it.

before anybody nails me to a post for the above please be aware that I’m a mechanic for Trek.

you've made my mind up even more... I went to a bike shop over the weekend and tried out a few of their bikes and the Trek FX3 was by far my favourite out of all the ones i tried. It just felt comfortable and right... The FX3 it is unfortunately the one i tried wasn't for sale and i am waiting to see if the local shop can source me a second hand one in my size. If not do you recommend any decent places to pick one up. Luckily I have a Trek shop not to far from me in manchester but would rather spend less somewhere else if that's a choice. To be honest I would rather spend less on a second hand but the likeliness of it having issues i'd rather buy a brand new bike unequipped and add the bits i need to it myself.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
you've made my mind up even more... I went to a bike shop over the weekend and tried out a few of their bikes and the Trek FX3 was by far my favourite out of all the ones i tried. It just felt comfortable and right... The FX3 it is unfortunately the one i tried wasn't for sale and i am waiting to see if the local shop can source me a second hand one in my size. If not do you recommend any decent places to pick one up. Luckily I have a Trek shop not to far from me in manchester but would rather spend less somewhere else if that's a choice. To be honest I would rather spend less on a second hand but the likeliness of it having issues i'd rather buy a brand new bike unequipped and add the bits i need to it myself.

How much were you offered the FX3 for?
Balfes, a (mostly) London chain have for £785
https://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/bikes...wiJjolpxspeKT0rSo5KkEgYjFGHbNjnxoCTgQQAvD_BwE

Triton in Essex have white for £699
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bikes-c4/hybrid-c30/fx-3-disc-urban-commuter-bike-2023-p40514/s107001?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=trek-fx-3-disc-urban-commuter-bike-2023-sizes-l-colours-crystal-whi-sizes-l-colours-crystal-white-5258702&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD-fMoaAKRKEu4APLMg-R5omu_OoI&gclid=CjwKCAjwhvi0BhA4EiwAX25ujyHqq6cyiQk5rqU4v-KR8oSJe_ht4VJ_esTCkB-X3cwGtRpOFJwgpBoCP1EQAvD_BwE

or black
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bikes-c4/hybrid-c30/fx-3-disc-urban-commuter-bike-2023-p40514/s106981?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=trek-fx-3-disc-urban-commuter-bike-2023-sizes-s-colours-matte-dnist-sizes-s-colours-matte-dnister-black-5258682&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD-fMoaAKRKEu4APLMg-R5omu_OoI&gclid=CjwKCAjwhvi0BhA4EiwAX25uj7AS2iLVOtQ_jkAJGN7h4aTQu0Uaox0j13Bl7LHKao8306krPa9Z8RoCwhYQAvD_BwE

or the equipped for £725 (only small/medium)
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bikes-c4/hybrid-c30/fx-3-disc-equipped-urban-commuter-bike-2023-p40515/s107004?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=trek-fx-3-disc-equipped-urban-commuter-bike-2023-sizes-s-colours-ma-sizes-s-colours-matte-dnister-black-5260144&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&cid=GBP&glCurrency=GBP&glCountry=GB&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD-fMoaAKRKEu4APLMg-R5omu_OoI&gclid=CjwKCAjwhvi0BhA4EiwAX25uj9B-NuakwIce2aDhE9b1V_fRfkTM98-xRS8xleCQ6sxZV_lPTtykrxoCUXcQAvD_BwE

Last edited:
When buying bikes, dont negotiate on price but on added accessories.
You will need mudguards, lights, lock and may want rack, helmet, panniers.
You also need a repair kit with spares to carry and to stash at work.
Most new bikes come with OK tyres, but these are the no1 upgrade for getting more speed and reliability.

Make sure you are coveted by 3rd party insurance, and fill a piggy bank to build a bike replacement fund.

A good bike shop can check and true the wheels for extra reliability, well worth it if you dont know how.

All uphill

Still rolling along

Bikes are generally simple machines.

If you bought a newish secondhand Trek Fx3 for the same size as the one that felt good, you could set aside £150 for any unexpected repairs and still be ahead financially.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bikes are generally simple machines.

If you bought a newish secondhand Trek Fx3 for the same size as the one that felt good, you could set aside £150 for any unexpected repairs and still be ahead financially.

Just satisfy yourself it's not nicked, bike theft is rife in large urban centres as I'm sure aware.
The other check I would do is that it's not a C2W bike still covered by the hire agreement...as it won't actually belong to the seller but their employer!

OP
OP
M

Moyster

Regular
Hi everyone. I thought i'd update everyone because everyone's been so helpful! It took a while to take the plunge because I genuinely didn't know what bike to pick & I have no idea about bikes. Visited a few second hand shops and a few mainstream shops & family owned ones and the amount of times i left the shop simply because they made out as if i was a complete idiot. Anyway Evan's cycles was amazing the guy that helped me clearly liked bikes and i didn't really want any information just someone to kind of bounce some stupid questions off of and he let me test out a lot of the recommended bikes from you guys and even recommended some to me aswell.

I'm not entirely sure if on paper i made the right choice but i personally am really happy. I got a Trek Dual Sport 1 Gen 5. Of all the bikes i tried out it felt amazing and it was discounted a little bit and the colour was great. My logic were the tyres looked alot thicker than the original bike i wanted which i just thought would be alot better for me aswell just doing a mix of road and pavement riding till i can build some confidence to just stay on the road.

I'm writing this from work actually after my first commute this morning and i really enjoyed it actually also, turns out its faster than driving or if not the same.

vickster

Legendary Member
Good news, it really doesn't matter if another bike might have been better on paper. You need the bike that's best for you on both a rational and emotional level, to avoid buyer's remorse or just not riding.
Commuting is great in the summer, especially in the holidays when there's less traffic (and it'll likely be quicker when all the school traffic is back!)

Thanks for letting us know how you got on.

Congrats on your first commute. Enjoy the cycling.

OP
OP
M

Moyster

Regular
Good news, it really doesn't matter if another bike might have been better on paper. You need the bike that's best for you on both a rational and emotional level, to avoid buyer's remorse or just not riding.
Commuting is great in the summer, especially in the holidays when there's less traffic (and it'll likely be quicker when all the school traffic is back!)

Thank you! Yeah maybe I paid a bit more than i'd of liked to it was £500 and i feel like on paper there were a few better ones available but i just loved this one, and its blue too looks great. I felt like a kid on Christmas eve last night couldn't wait to ride to work ha! Weather is definitely a plus this morning.

I live at the top of one of the main roads that join the motorway and go straight into Manchester city centre so i'm sure it's going to shave some time off getting to and from work when the kids are back at school!

vickster

Legendary Member
Thank you! Yeah maybe I paid a bit more than i'd of liked to it was £500 and i feel like on paper there were a few better ones available but i just loved this one, and it blue too looks great. I felt like a kid on Christmas eve last night couldn't wait to ride to work ha! Weather is definitely a plus this morning.

I live at the top of one of the main roads that join the motorway and go straight into Manchester city centre so i'm sure it's going to shave some time off getting to and from work when the kids are back are school!

£500 is reasonable for a big brand bike with a life time warranty and decent components

Top Bottom