Where I can buy a 4m long "security" chain ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I would like to consult the great vast knowledge. Please advise if you can.

I need to install a wall anchor and a chain to "secure" a mobility scooter. I'm not expecting any actual security from this - largely on account the chain needs to be 4m long. If it can resist a cheap pair of bolt croppers and not cost £400, that would be good. It's mainly to satisfy the insurers that insist the scooter is secured to an immovable object. I'm not thinking it will be possible to secure it against any determined thief - especially one armed with power tools.

Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
These people sell all sorts of chain and security products :
https://www.steelgear.co.uk/shop/standard-chain

Dadam

Über Member
Pragmasis

I've got one of their ground anchors and a 2m 13mm protector chain for the e-bikes. Won't stop an angle grinder but will still be a challenge for them.

Just curious though, why does it need to be 4m long?
You might get away with a 2m chain with noose end, or failing that if you need a 4m circumference, 2x 2m chains and 2 padlocks would work. Obviously don't skimp on the padlocks, if the steel links are 13mm thick there's no point securing them with an 8mm padlock hasp

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Pragmasis

I've got one of their ground anchors and a 2m 13mm protector chain for the e-bikes. Won't stop an angle grinder but will still be a challenge for them.

Just curious though, why does it need to be 4m long?
You might get away with a 2m chain with noose end, or failing that if you need a 4m circumference, 2x 2m chains and 2 padlocks would work. Obviously don't skimp on the padlocks, if the steel links are 13mm thick there's no point securing them with an 8mm padlock hasp

I was going to suggest a ground anchor instead of a wall anchor - reducing down the chain length.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

I've arrived at wall anchor and 4m chain because I'm trying to minimise chance of the chain falling to the ground.

The installation is for an 82 year old who struggles bending over to pick anything up.

I hadn't though about a noosed chain, which would shorten the length required. I'm just thinking through the practical implications.

classic33

Leg End Member
Would the weight of the chain be worth considering?

Dadam

Über Member
Would the weight of the chain be worth considering?

Very good point. The longer chains, especially the non bolt croppable ones with 12mm or thicker links are very heavy. Can be quite a handful and easy to drop one end while fiddling with a padlock. For an 82 year old who struggles bending over I imagine this could be very difficult.

OP
OP
PedallingNowhereSlowly

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Very good point. The longer chains, especially the non bolt croppable ones with 12mm or thicker links are very heavy. Can be quite a handful and easy to drop one end while fiddling with a padlock. For an 82 year old who struggles bending over I imagine this could be very difficult.

I have a plan to mitigate that. I'm going to find, or make a sturdy wooden box to sit next to the scooter which the chain can be secured to, so the full weight doesn't have to be grappled with. I was going to put some hooks on it, so that the chain can be hung up when it's removed from the scooter. Event if the chain is dropped, it can be hoiked up from the box.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I would like to consult the great vast knowledge. Please advise if you can.

I need to install a wall anchor and a chain to "secure" a mobility scooter. I'm not expecting any actual security from this - largely on account the chain needs to be 4m long. If it can resist a cheap pair of bolt croppers and not cost £400, that would be good. It's mainly to satisfy the insurers that insist the scooter is secured to an immovable object. I'm not thinking it will be possible to secure it against any determined thief - especially one armed with power tools.

Thanks.

May I ask.....Will it be parked in the garage or outside.
Reason for asking is I have just bought one. I have a garage so my puzzle is ....car in garage and scooter outside or vice versa.
Mine is 2nd hand and cheap so not worth insuring.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
IMG_6378.jpeg

This will be perfect for your needs.

Top Bottom