What's your next Audax?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting post. But I think that's a typo above.

Nice try: I mean "they are back in 2025, they return, they have risen from the dead" :P

Ajax Bay

Guru
Have just ridden (route checking) the 'bottom' loop of the rebooted Kernow and Southwest 600 which a member of our pub ride group is organising in ten days (29/30 June).
Train to Truro and then, following the route accurately, down to Penzance and turn NE towards Newquay. I get to the Newquay road (A3075) when a yellow sign informs that the road will be closed from Monday for two weeks (!, NB whole point of route checking) and quizzing the lead worker determines that it'll be closed closed (surface being dug up) for about 2km.
Minor roads diversion duly ridden, 'left flanking' (iykyk), so riders who will be hitting that rbt after 285km on the Saturday evening - full value riders after dark - will not be confronted by a wtf moment. Heading for Camelford Hall (344km) for a sleep stop.
KSW600: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/46632927
1718793790696.png

Lots of scenery (and a ferry) on/en route.
"600km cycling event starting from Exeter (Exeter M5 services). Controls at Bude, Looe, Penzance (Gulval), Newquay, Camelford (VH), Barnstaple (Sticklepath), Lee Mill nr Ivybridge, Paignton, and Cranbrook.
Start in Exeter and head west with a Cornish coast to coast and a ferry en route to Penzance! Sleep control in Camelford village hall on the 'Atlantic Highway'. Day two back to Exeter with new fun route skirting Dartmoor and via the Devon Riviera.
8.5 AAA?"

footloose crow

Über Member
Have just ridden (route checking) the 'bottom' loop of the rebooted Kernow and Southwest 600 which a member of our pub ride group is organising in ten days (29/30 June).
Train to Truro and then, following the route accurately, down to Penzance and turn NE towards Newquay. I get to the Newquay road (A3075) when a yellow sign informs that the road will be closed from Monday for two weeks (!, NB whole point of route checking) and quizzing the lead worker determines that it'll be closed closed (surface being dug up) for about 2km.
Minor roads diversion duly ridden, 'left flanking' (iykyk), so riders who will be hitting that rbt after 285km on the Saturday evening - full value riders after dark - will not be confronted by a wtf moment. Heading for Camelford Hall (344km) for a sleep stop.
KSW600: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/46632927
View attachment 734648
Lots of scenery (and a ferry) on/en route.
"600km cycling event starting from Exeter (Exeter M5 services). Controls at Bude, Looe, Penzance (Gulval), Newquay, Camelford (VH), Barnstaple (Sticklepath), Lee Mill nr Ivybridge, Paignton, and Cranbrook.
Start in Exeter and head west with a Cornish coast to coast and a ferry en route to Penzance! Sleep control in Camelford village hall on the 'Atlantic Highway'. Day two back to Exeter with new fun route skirting Dartmoor and via the Devon Riviera.
8.5 AAA?"

Will look out for you guys when you go past. It is a tough route - lots of short, sharp hills and currently holiday traffic is heavy in Cornwall. The level of motorist abuse/close passes/aggressive overtakes has stepped up significantly and many local cyclists are commenting on it on Strava/social media feeds. Good luck to everyone taking part.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Looks nice and scenic. Those temps are too hot for me. Good attempt.

Looks nice and scenic. Those temps are too hot for me. Good attempt.

(thanks)

I note temperatures down there this week are 8-10'c lower. Blimmin typical!!!

I'd never done long climbs in really hot weather before. Not surprisingly, it made things hard... not just because it slowed me down on the bike; my brain was addled for hours on end, leading to poor decision-making and much wasted time while off the bike.

Top Bottom