What's your biggest bike related mistake?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Being born in a country that hates cyclists.
Could be worse.....

image.jpeg

How very apt this thread is. Recently bought an MTB. Should have got a cheap one and tried it but oh no I had to get an expensive one and now I wish I'd bought an adventure bike instead. A lot of money wasted/lost that could have purchased a very nice bike I would enjoy a lot more

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Years ago. Moved from clips and straps to clipless, but it was before 'float'. Mistake. Bought Dura Ace 7400 Looks and my knees hated them. Sold the pedals on, went back to clips and straps, then moved to Look with float once they came out. Bought Campag Record Carbon and my knees liked them. Stuck with Look Delta since.

It's like saddles !!

Will Spin

Über Member
Riding my Mavic Ksyrsium wheels in all weathers, though the muddiest lanes in West Sussex and Hampshire and finding that the rear wheel rim had worn out in less than 1 year.

Haydena

Regular
I have read a none Jorvik trike article about a trike kit that came from china with the same unit,mmmm makes me think, and yes I have become a victim of Jorvik!
My Jorvik Trike came with this front light that describes its self as a lock.

Attachments

• Light says Lock.jpg
    Light says Lock.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 43

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Selling my 1967 Claude Butler Saphire (that I bought from @biggs682 ages ago) to my brother - The powers that be said I needed to get rid of a bike, and I need the money, but he has just sent me this picture after doing a bit of work on it, although it isn't quite finished yet (admittedly I never did enough work on it due to various reasons - I have had a depression of sorts and have not done anything much in a long time, so the bike is going to where it will be appreciated, but.... Still....).

I want it back, and I have told him that if he doesn't want it any more, to let me know! :blush::laugh::

IMG_0379.JPG

Last edited:

Salar

A fish out of water
Two mistakes,

1. Letting my son borrow my lovely 1993 rigid Kona Cinder Cone in the later 90's and having it returned with the forks pointing the wrong way and the head tube ripped following his mad downhill exploits.

2. During a house move throwing away my old Raleigh Flyer, the purple one from the 70's, not a special or quality bike, but all I could afford in the mid 70's.

I was supposed to be buying the ex wifes engagement ring with the money I'd saved but the Flyer was too much of a temptation and made much more sense:smile:.
Lots of memories and many miles spent on that 5 speed bike.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Made a lot of bicycle related mistakes :-) however worst one was clearing the table top jump back in 83 on a borrowed BMX. Didn't end well , hospital job to get stitches put in , bike was ok and it was one hell of a jump cleared lots of air !

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Oh and getting rid of the first bike I ever got brand new, a 1996 Raleigh Max Ogre MTB (which I got for Christmas in 1996 aged 14). It was nothing special, and it was a wreck after years of use and abuse (I never cleaned it properly so it rusted eventually, a lesson I have now learned), but, still.
I was wanting to get it done up and had taken it all apart, but the frame was thrown out during one of my Dad's mad 'lets get rid of everything' moods.

I still have various pieces for future use if I ever buy another, but it just isn't the same.

It was one of these, but only in Silver, a (probably) bigger frame and without the twist gear change grips, mine had the normal gear changers:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=112178406379&globalID=EBAY-GB

Last edited:
Top Bottom