What Supermarket or other brand is as good as or better than Heinz Ketchup?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Heinz has been the king for a long time but pretenders to the throne are fast catching up.
I've got some Morrisons at the mo which is good but a little sweet.
Any recommendations from you gastronomic experts?

Sorry mods this ought to be in Food and drink. Would you you be kind enough to shift it over.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
M&S ketchup is the bollix.

Tenkaykev

Guru
" Rubies in the Rubble " is our ketchup of choice.

Attachments

• IMG_5867.jpeg
    IMG_5867.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 6

OldShep

Über Member
Mrs Shep would eat nothing but Heinz. A few years ago I came home from ALDI with their Bramwells. Now she won’t eat Heinz.
My only weakness, and only use of tomato ketchup, is on fried bread. Fried in Olive Oil and all those tomatoes on top got to be healthy surely. 😀

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
25% tomato in the Morrisons Ketchup and they claim 30% less suffer and 60% less salt than their standard ketchup ( this is their reduced salt and sugar version, although still tasted a bit sweet to me, but the Heinz was sweeter. The Morrisons was darker but I don't know what that indicates.
Heinz print their ingredients so small it's almost impossible to read but looks like 12.6g per 100g. Can anyone confirm?

C R

Guru
25% tomato in the Morrisons Ketchup and they claim 30% less suffer and 60% less salt than their standard ketchup ( this is their reduced salt and sugar version, although still tasted a bit sweet to me, but the Heinz was sweeter. The Morrisons was darker but I don't know what that indicates.
Heinz print their ingredients so small it's almost impossible to read but looks like 12.6g per 100g. Can anyone confirm?

Blimey, that's even less tomato than I expected. That's about a quarter of a cherry tomato per spoonful.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Waitrose is handy in being consistent in how they display nutrition information for each product. This is for various ketchups.

Heinz:-

Tomatoes (148g per 100g Tomato Ketchup), Spirit Vinegar, Sugar, Salt, Spice and Herb Extracts (contain Celery), Spice

Stokes:-

Tomatoes (200g in 100g Ketchup), Unrefined Raw Cane Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Cornflour, Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Seasoning (Salt, Spice Extracts ^contains Celery], Onion Extract)

Ruby in the Rubble:-

Fruit (242g per 100g: Tomatoes, Surplus Pears/Apples), Sugar, Spirit Vinegar, Salt, Preservative: Potassium Sorbate, Spices

Dave7

Legendary Member
I am a brown sauce guy but can enjoy tomato sauce on certain foods ie omellete. I now have mayo on my chips (along with salt and vinegar of course)

Top Bottom