What message does this shout at you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punkawallah

Über Member
It shouts out that people from richer families do better in GCSE exams? Oh, and that someone was paid to do the research, and could have saved themselves the time and trouble.
It might be worthwhile to look at the same people in 5/10
years time and see what they are earning?

OP
OP
presta

presta

Guru
I think your average motorist is going to take one look at that and say "don't let your kids cycle to school, it rots their brains and spoils their exam results". Walkers answer is that the cycle results are unreliable because they only account for 1.8% of the cohort, but I can't see Pistonheads stopping to think about that level of detail. People read headlines not fine print, and I'm dismayed that Walker's handing a gift on a plate to the anti-cycling lobby. It would have made more sense to exclude the cycling results on the grounds that they're not reliable/significant.

It's even more obvious if you average all 5 quintiles:

1723984995488.png

It's the conclusion that gives it meaning. The original statement /graph/ question doesn't have any context, why who, what ?
Made no sense to ke until I read the conclusion.

But Walker didn't Tweet the conclusion, just the graph and statement I posted at the top.

Reactions: mjr

classic33

Leg End Member
I think your average motorist is going to take one look at that and say "don't let your kids cycle to school, it rots their brains and spoils their exam results". Walkers answer is that the cycle results are unreliable because they only account for 1.8% of the cohort, but I can't see Pistonheads stopping to think about that level of detail. People read headlines not fine print, and I'm dismayed that Walker's handing a gift on a plate to the anti-cycling lobby. It would have made more sense to exclude the cycling results on the grounds that they're not reliable/significant.

It's even more obvious if you average all 5 quintiles:

View attachment 741644

But Walker didn't Tweet the conclusion, just the graph and statement I posted at the top.
Schools hire buses from local bus companies. Buses that at other times of the day are public transport. Anything in those results that makes that distinction?

icowden

Veteran
Indeed - and private schools are more likely to be located somewhere that is either difficult or impossible to cycle to, or where the pupils live at a distance that is not reasonably cyclable. State secondaries are more likely to be located proximate to the community they largely serve, thus many more children cycle to school.

Top Bottom