What autobiographies have you read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
slowmotion said:
Naughty boy! I have all three dog-eared copies somewhere. They all fall open at the same certain pages.
as long as they don't stay stuck at the same pages....

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Moon's a Balloon - David Niven: a hoot, as other have said.

The Escape Artist - Matt Seaton: enjoyable but a devastating ending.

Not About The Bike - You Know Who: inspiring.

Rough Ride - Paul Kimmage: illuminating.

George Alagiah's autobiography: Inspiring and gave me masses of respect for the man.

All of these People - Fergal Keane: a new understanding of alcoholism.

thegrumpybiker

I read David Niven's The Moon's A Balloon also many years ago, wasn't expecting much but remember it being both entertaining and revealing. Quite the opposite of the disappointment I got from Howard Marks' Mr Nice, which I only got halfway through before abandoning. Also recently read The Guv'nor by Lenny McLean. Bought John Lydon's Rotten:No Blacks, No Irish, No Dogs but haven't started it yet.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
John Aubrey's scribblings about his early life are entertaining. Jerome K Jerome's My Life and Times is good. Then there are the various diaries, such as Parson Woodford's or Kilvert's.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I've remembered another: 'Goodbye To All That' by Robert Graves, author of I Claudius. His experiences of world war I were very interesting.

Not sure if George Orwell's books, 'Down in Out in Paris and London', 'The Road to Wigan Pier', and 'Homage to Catalonia' count as autobiographies, but read those too. Homage to Catalonia was the best IMO.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1 for David Niven and Spike Milligan - both brilliant. Clive James also - wonderful. And Alan Clark - tho' those are diaries rather than an autobiography as such.

doodles

Lots of motorcycle racers...
Valentino Rossi
James Whitham
Wayne Rainey
Chris Walker
John Reynolds
and probably a couple more that escape me at the moment!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Ok, I've realised from the other posts that i've been too narrow, but the trilogy of Siegfried Sassoon, a thinly veiled autobiograohy, - Diary of a Foxhunting Man etc are amongst the best books I've ever read and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Much, much better than his actual autobiography and much, much better than Pat Barker's Regeneration 'copies.'

Top Bottom