Wall heater needed for bathroom. Qs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My bathroom is a cold room.
I feel the cold eg when having a shower.
I don't wish to put the CH on just for a 15 minute shower.
So...... I want a wall mounted heater that can heat, in particular, my walk in shower area.
So...... Questions.
Infra red or fan type?
Is eg 2 KW the same heat output for both types ?
NB
It has to run off a 13A spur.
Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
First thought is electricity and water issues. Presumably it can be done exceedingly safely. That being so I'd go for fan as it's instantly warming the air around you. Infrared tends be bake one side freezing the other.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
What about a heated towel rail running off the 13A spur? They mix much better with water than a fan heater. Ok it can be done safely, but doesn't want to be near the walk in shower splash zone. You can fit them (fan heaters) high up, pointing down with a pull card control.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
What about a heated towel rail running off the 13A spur? They mix much better with water than a fan heater. Ok it can be done safely, but doesn't want to be near the walk in shower splash zone. You can fit them (fan heaters) high up, pointing down with a pull card control.

Thanks.
I want more 'iinstant' than the towel rail type.
It will be at least 3 metres from any water so a fan heater would be OK.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a wall mounted fan heater with pull cord switch. Excellent.
The towel rail we had before was condemned by electricians as unsafe according to the regulations. The switch for this was outside the bathroom so perfectly safe IMO but when our bathroom was refitted it had to go.

si_c

Guru
I'd go with a towel rail personally, you can get them now with timers and thermostatically controlled so they will work more seamlessly than a fan heater (I'd avoid IR for the aforementioned hot/cold issues - they're fine outdoors, but probably not what you're looking for in a bathroom).

Plus a towel rail will keep your towels warm and dry, don't underestimate how nice it is to have a warm towel.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I plumbed a (wet) towel radiator into the same circuit that heats the hot water cylinder, two floors below. When the boiler heats the hot water, it heats the bathroom as well.

Top Bottom