Wahoo Elemnt Bolt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Since using the BOLT I am very pleased with it. My club has a RideWithGPS account which I can now login to and export TBT routes into my own account.
With regards to using rides created with Strava, I just route this manually with RWGPS, a 50 mile route only takes about 5 mins at most. If you are wanting to convert a ride that you have just uploaded to RWGPS with TBT directions then you would have to upgrade your account from free to paid. Without this you can use the "breadcrumb" method to navigate which is ok. No issues with black and white screens either. The BOLT has no concept of re-routing so if you miss a turn the device will bleep and the LED's turn red.
There are no plans at this stage for Wahoo to fix the ability to export cue sheets from Strava at this time.

The device is customized via the smart phone and does not require being plugged into a PC. Built in WIFI is useful. The screens can be changed to suit your own requirements, and the settings should suite all.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

I'm seriously considering buying a Wahoo Element Bolt as the reviews on here and elsewhere are exceptionally good.

My Garmin Edge Tour device that I bought about 18 months ago has been an appallingly unreliable bit of kit. It often ceases to give route directions mid ride and I have completely lost faith in it. The only thing that puts me off a bit about the Wahoo is that it appears all rides have to be planned on RideswithGPS in order to produce turn by turn directions when uploaded to the Wahoo Bolt. I use www.cycle.travel for route planning and it picks the quietest route for you between the chosen start and finish points. I don't really want to spend the time painstakingly creating routes via RideswithGPS when I am happy with Cycle.travel doing it for me. But it seems routes created in cycle.travel will not produce turn by turn directions when uploaded to the Wahoo.

I'm actually surprised that Wahoo users are satisfied with the labour intensive requirement of having to trace their routes in rideswithGPS for routes they wish to follow. Or am I missing something?
It's so quick and easy to do, and lets face it you're only doing it once per ride!

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I'm seriously considering buying a Wahoo Element Bolt as the reviews on here and elsewhere are exceptionally good.

My Garmin Edge Tour device that I bought about 18 months ago has been an appallingly unreliable bit of kit. It often ceases to give route directions mid ride and I have completely lost faith in it. The only thing that puts me off a bit about the Wahoo is that it appears all rides have to be planned on RideswithGPS in order to produce turn by turn directions when uploaded to the Wahoo Bolt. I use www.cycle.travel for route planning and it picks the quietest route for you between the chosen start and finish points. I don't really want to spend the time painstakingly creating routes via RideswithGPS when I am happy with Cycle.travel doing it for me. But it seems routes created in cycle.travel will not produce turn by turn directions when uploaded to the Wahoo.

I'm actually surprised that Wahoo users are satisfied with the labour intensive requirement of having to trace their routes in rideswithGPS for routes they wish to follow. Or am I missing something?

I create my routes on cycle.travel, save it as a TCX and then upload it to Ride With GPS. I sync this all accross to my Elemnt and taa daa, there's your Turn By Turn route ready to ride.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Is cycle.travel free to use for creating routes to export?

It sure is. The proprietor, Richard Fairhurst, is about as fine as a fellow can get out there. It is an amazing site. He is in the throws of building an iOS app for it. Have a play. It's brilliant. I really like the 'Suggest a Ride' function which suggests three circular routes from your start point (home for example) You choose the distance and load it to your device, and hey presto, off you go. It routes you via the most cycle friendy options too. And of course you can manipulate the route to suit. It's amazing. Have I said that?

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

It sure is. The proprietor, Richard Fairhurst, is about as fine as a fellow can get out there. It is an amazing site. He is in the throws of building an iOS app for it. Have a play. It's brilliant. I really like the 'Suggest a Ride' function which suggests three circular routes from your start point (home for example) You choose the distance and load it to your device, and hey presto, off you go. It routes you via the most cycle friendy options too. And of course you can manipulate the route to suit. It's amazing. Have I said that?
This looks really good, do you know if all the cues will be imported into Ride With GPS? I created a route with 104 turns, but it Ride with GPS it is only showing 8 turns?
From what I can see, the points are indicated on the map, but the que sheet is only showing 8 turns.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Hmm. I downloaded a 100km Audax last week as a TCX (that's important NOT a GPX) and the cues all came out and gave me a 300m 'notification' before each turn on any page on my ELEMNT. Because I have a free GRWPS account, the only thing it didn't give me were the specifics of each control. And the info controls have their instruction on the Brevet card anyway. Not important.

A paid for GRWPS gives you superior routing options but as I find Cycle.Travel better anyway, I only use it as a 'go between' for Turn By Turn routes for my Elemnt.

Edit: If you save it as a GPX it will give you a 'breadcrumb' route so I assume less cues.

HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Hmm. I downloaded a 100km Audax last week as a TCX (that's important NOT a GPX) and the cues all came out and gave me a 300m 'notification' before each turn on any page on my ELEMNT. Because I have a free GRWPS account, the only thing it didn't give me were the specifics of each control. And the info controls have their instruction on the Brevet card anyway. Not important.

A paid for GRWPS gives you superior routing options but as I find Cycle.Travel better anyway, I only use it as a 'go between' for Turn By Turn routes for my Elemnt.

HTH
it doesn't matter too much, our club Ride with GPS has hundreds of routes that I can download into the BOLT, so I'm all good really.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Hello all,

Sorry to just butt in but I am thinking of getting myself an ELEMNT, (not the bolt). Can this unit be run off of a powerbank if the battery gets low?

13 rider

Guru
The bolt is charged by a mini USB and I presume the element is the same so can see no reason a power bank would not work . I've ran my bolt on the map screen for 8 hrs and still had 33% left so battery life isn't a problem to me

r04DiE

The bolt is charged by a mini USB and I presume the element is the same so can see no reason a power bank would not work . I've ran my bolt on the map screen for 8 hrs and still had 33% left so battery life isn't a problem to me
OK, many thanks. Its just that Garmins do funny things when you plug them in, like shut down, for instance! I will be riding 15 hours and over, so I will be needing some extra power.

Milzy

Guru
OK, many thanks. Its just that Garmins do funny things when you plug them in, like shut down, for instance! I will be riding 15 hours and over, so I will be needing some extra power.
On basic settings with no gps running I reckon I could hit 15 hours on my fully charged bolt. The best cycle computer on the market. Garmin sucks and are for square heads not cool enough to see the light with element.

r04DiE

On basic settings with no gps running I reckon I could hit 15 hours on my fully charged bolt. The best cycle computer on the market. Garmin sucks and are for square heads not cool enough to see the light with element.
It does seem that way - that's why I am happily coming out of square-headedness!

Top Bottom