UPVC door locking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I have a UPVC back door. I have to pull up the handle several times before the key will turn. Does anybody have any idea what the problem may be please?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Try cleaning the holes that the mechanism drops into. Mine has a thing that comes out of the bottom of the door and goes into a hole in the frame. The hole gets clogged up and stops the handle moving as much as it needs to. Then it's hard to lock until I clean it.

alicat

Squire
I have a UPVC back door. I have to pull up the handle several times before the key will turn. Does anybody have any idea what the problem may be please?
At the risk of stating the obvious, you do know that the normal operation requires you to pull it up once?

Tenkaykev

Guru

I have the same with our patio doors. I think the door may have dropped a smidgeon and I have to pull the handle up vigorously while turning the key at the same time. Seems to be weather/ temperature dependent too, as sometimes it works fine.
All the other device regarding cleaning the threshold and WD40 hold true and I have done all that. I can see that the hinges have adjustments but fear making a complete horlicks of it if I start tinkering.

Hicky

Guru
Good squirt of WD40/GT85 around all moving elements of the locking bits and flick the handle up and down a few times with the door open whilst manipulating the handle....................should be back to how it was

Yeo, I ended up having to strip off and clean the whole locking system after similar to the OP. Silcone spray to everything and smooth operator back in action .

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
At the risk of stating the obvious, you do know that the normal operation requires you to pull it up once?

Yes, but I have to pull it up several times.

geocycle

Legendary Member
UPVC can distort over time and the locking attachments can come out of line. Apparently those with bolts at the top and bottom are less likely to warp than those more centrally located. I agree that cleaning and lubricant is the first step. If that doesn’t work it’s fiddling with the adjustment which you can get someone in to help with. If that doesn’t do it you may need a new mechanism or even a new door.

Ive just read it happens when open so hopefully a good clean will sort it.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
It's an issue I have from time to time. Mine seems to be the door slightly dropping which means the lock and keep aren't lining up correctly. I have to tighten the top hinge up a little which pulls the door up and hey presto problem solved.

Top Bottom