upgrading Tiagra 10 from tectro to hydraulic brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have mechanical disc brakes on one of my bikes - I was considering upgrading this to hydraulic - but the cost seems massive at about £250 each - given a total of £500 - given that a 105 di2 groupset can be had for £900 - this seems massively expensive ? - is there a cheaper way of doing this ?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
TRP Hy/Rd (or similar) cable operated disc brakes are about the only option without having to replace the brifters along with the calipers.

What about Ltwoo or Sensah as alternative?

I’ve got Sensah reflex (8speed) on one bike and it works with the same consistency if not slightly better than Claris so I’d be happy with that type of upgrade.

si_c

Guru
I wouldn't spend the money to upgrade to hydraulic from mechanical if I'm honest. Yes they are better, but they're not that much better and the only real advantage is automagic pad adjustment. My Felt I did upgrade the calipers though, I put a TRP Hy/Rd on the front and a TRP Spyre on the rear - it was a good balance. The Hy/Rd I chose as I was riding significant distances at the time and I was adjusting the pads every other day in winter so pad adjustment was great.

Even the Spyre is a good upgrade - I've never had any problems getting the rear wheel a foot off the ground, which can be great fun at traffic lights :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was looking into costs of upgrading to hydros.

If you want a debate on cable disc v hydro you can always start a thread 😀

Well as you know, BRIFTERS are bloody expensive hydro or not.

Just asking why.... I have no need to upgrade the two rim brake road bikes or the CX bike from rim brakes - they still stop me very well.

Top end brake cables and inners and really good pads will stop you very quickly with cable discs. Do not under estimate cables.

The MTB came with 4 pot hydraulic brakes, but you need the stopping power on a MTB

si_c

Guru
Top end brake cables and inners and really good pads will stop you very quickly with cable discs. Do not under estimate cables.

Don't forget to mention outers. Was setting up a friends mechanical disc brakes the other day, felt OK but were just using regular brake outers, swapped over to compressionless housing and it made a huge difference.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have mechanical disc brakes on one of my bikes - I was considering upgrading this to hydraulic - but the cost seems massive at about £250 each - given a total of £500 - given that a 105 di2 groupset can be had for £900 - this seems massively expensive ? - is there a cheaper way of doing this ?

This obviously means you should be going for 105 Di2. You know it makes sense. ;) Just a leetle bit more money and you could have it:evil:

That said, I just put "Tiagra Hydraulic shifters" into Google and they seem to be £150-250 per pair. Now maybe Google's showing me the wrong stuff, and I know that doesn't include the brake calipers (or whatever they're called) and hoses and gubbins, but the brifters will be the most expensive part. Are you sure you can't do it for less?

Merlin have this for £300. Is this all you need or do you need other bits too ?
Shimano Tiagra ST-4720 Hydraulic Disc STI Levers & R4770 Flat Mount Disc Brake Set - 10 Speed
https://www.merlincycles.com/shiman...lat-mount-disc-brake-set-10-speed-247267.html

(I know nothing about disc brakes, hydro or otherwise)

Last edited:
OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
This obviously means you should be going for 105 Di2. You know it makes sense. ;) Just a leetle bit more money and you could have it:evil:

That said, I just put "Tiagra Hydraulic shifters" into Google and they seem to be £150-250 per pair. Now maybe Google's showing me the wrong stuff, and I know that doesn't include the brake calipers (or whatever they're called) and hoses and gubbins, but the brifters will be the most expensive part. Are you sure you can't do it for less?

Merlin have this for £300. Is this all you need or do you need other bits too ?
Shimano Tiagra ST-4720 Hydraulic Disc STI Levers & R4770 Flat Mount Disc Brake Set - 10 Speed
https://www.merlincycles.com/shiman...lat-mount-disc-brake-set-10-speed-247267.html

(I know nothing about disc brakes, hydro or otherwise)

That link to Merlin is £295 for either front or rear - so that's £600 to do the whole bike - yes I need the shifters and the callipers.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That link to Merlin is £295 for either front or rear - so that's £600 to do the whole bike - yes I need the shifters and the callipers.

Ah ha. I misread it, sorry. I assumed "set" was front and rear. And the picture shows both. I didn't read the small print.

Given that Merlin are normally best price for components (or very good, at least, in my experience) I guess that's how much it will cost.

So 105 Di2 it is then :evil:

Last edited:

si_c

Guru

It's not, it's for both, it's not unreasonable for Hydraulic shifters to be honest. I still wouldn't do it though.

1719567311537.png

Top Bottom