Turbo training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brad123

Hold the maximum effort you can sustain for 1 minute. The same principle applies to any other interval, of any other duration.
Thank you. I get it now.
A good rule of thumb is that it should be in doubt whether you can complete the interval. If you feel like you could have gone harder afterwards, then you should have done.
Thank you.

amaferanga

Veteran
A good rule of thumb is that it should be in doubt whether you can complete the interval. If you feel like you could have gone harder afterwards, then you should have done.

Maybe so if you're only doing one interval, but for 1min intervals you'd probably be doing >8 so you need to hold back a little on the first few. If you go balls out on I interval #1 then you probably won't make it to interval 5 even at a similar effort (power).

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Hope this helps
turbo.jpg

VamP

Banned
Yeah but for such short intervals I will overshoot my target on the first one anyway unless I consciously moderate the effort a bit.

But for the purposes of Brad123 question, he just needs to aim at perceived effort of the maximum he can manage in each interval, which will result in a much more appropriate intensity of training than the cadence method he has been using.

Blue

Squire
Ultimately, cadence is only a measure of how fast your pedals are turning though, I wouldn't want to use it as a training tool. Even HR is not ideal, but at least in most cases you can approximate HR to effort level, which is not the case with cadence.
That is exactly why it is useful.
If you keep all other metrics the same (tyre pressure, gears, resistance etc) you will get a hard workout by maintaining that same pedal speed rather than slowing down as fatigue sets in - which is the natural thing to do as your HR drifts(which it will).

Blue

Squire
Yeah but for such short intervals I will overshoot my target on the first one anyway unless I consciously moderate the effort a bit.

But for the purposes of Brad123 question, he just needs to aim at perceived effort of the maximum he can manage in each interval, which will result in a much more appropriate intensity of training than the cadence method he has been using.

What happens when fatigue sets in (which may be after 1 interval if it's overcooked)? He will slow down and and will not get a consistent session. Time on the turbo can be less than optimal if not measured in some way.

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
He wasn't using cadence.

What happens when fatigue sets in (which may be after 1 interval if it's overcooked)? He will slow down and and will not get a consistent session. Time on the turbo can be less than optimal if not measured in some way.

I point you at post 87.

Cadence is a meaningless metric. Unless you're training leg speed.

For short intervals use PE as most useful proxy for power or if you have a decent fluid turbo with a reasonably repeatable power curve you can use the speed as a proxy. Obviously power meter is best.

Blue

Squire
Hold the maximum effort you can sustain for 1 minute. The same principle applies to any other interval, of any other duration.
Ok so if I wanted to do 1 minute interval like I just done how would I go about it?
Do I go flat out? ( dont think I could hold flat out for 1 minute. )
Flat out 1 minute intervals are of little value unless you are doing then for a very specific reason. Why are you doing them? Longer, less intense intervals will provide better all round training effects.

Why are you doing intervals at all? That's the first question to ask before designing your sessions.

Blue

Squire
I point you at post 87.

Cadence is a meaningless metric. Unless you're training leg speed.

For short intervals use PE as most useful proxy for power or if you have a decent fluid turbo with a reasonably repeatable power curve you can use the speed as a proxy. Obviously power meter is best.
To quote Graeme Obree from 'The Turbo Session' chapter of his book 'the Obree way', "...ultimately the only information that actually matters is average speed." If you can turn the pedals at a set average you are maintaining a set average speed.

VamP

Banned
To quote Graeme Obree from 'The Turbo Session' chapter of his book 'the Obree way', "...ultimately the only information that actually matters is average speed." If you can turn the pedals at a set average you are maintaining a set average speed.

Progressive resistance turbos don't work like that.

Top Bottom