Trek Domane SL5 Gen3 - Seat Post Wiggle - Rant?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philipgonzales3

Newest UPDATE
Trek Store is starting warranty process.
Likely Corporate will start with seat post/seat post hardware but at least we are getting some traction.
Newest UPDATE

Newer UPDATE
Wobbly as ever again after my first ride.
I noticed this wobble is present when I "test" it by wiggling it with my hands.
Only have had a short ride of 45 minutes before, but didn't notice much while actually seated on this bike.
This MAY be a case of, well just don't "test" it with my hands. I am doubtful and I am pretty sure it's going to start squeaking and moaning.
At this point I am just going to send it and hope that if it blows up that the frame gets damaged so it can be replaced. At this point just want to ride my darn road bike.
Newer UPDATE

**UPDATE**
Just an update, when I took my bike in this morning the service manager pulls out the torque wrench and simply torqued the set screw to spec and it SEEMS much more sturdy. I THINK it may still have some slight wobble but going to ride it at this point and see what happens. The service manager said he did what he needed to do, so if anything happens regarding the seat post going forward it will be covered under warranty. We will see.
**UPDATE**

Videos of issue (also posted later down in post) for those who just want to see my main issue without reading a book :smile:

View: https://youtu.be/Dk3PckfP3Bw

View: https://youtu.be/S0RxxmP-5Ak

*sigh*
It is with great sadness that I am writing this post (I'm being dramatic, but still).
Mostly a rant post, I think the shop is going to hopefully do the right thing and continue helping me through resolution, but just mostly felt like sharing/venting, etc.

So, I bought my 2022 model Trek Domane SL5 Gen3 new from a Trek Store in my city in May of this year as my first road bike. I am 6'2" with a 33" inseam, which is short for my height. So I bought the shorter seat mast and swapped it since I felt the original one that came with the bike was too high.

Just FYI, it is a proprietary design. So I went ahead and paid the ~$250 USD for the new seat post and called it a day. Can't put a price on comfort right!?

NOTE: Not my pictures below, just from the internet for reference.

Screenshot 2024-09-25 164416.png

Screenshot 2024-09-25 164256.png

Screenshot 2024-09-25 164310.png

Screenshot 2024-09-25 164332.png

So, I'm a little fuzzy on the timeline but at some point I start having issues with the seat post wiggling and creaking etc. The shop says, oh things weren't torqued down correctly. All good now. I believe they added carbon paste as well. I don't quite remember if this was before or after I went to the bike fitter. I THINK it was both before and after I went to the bike fitter but my memory isn't the greatest.

Anyway, so about the bike fitter. He cranks my saddle height up (A little at a time of course, checking the angles and my motion and what not through the pedal stroke) and when he goes to torque down the seat binder bolt/screw (I just call it a set screw) his torque wrench slipped a bit and he commented on not caring for the design of the seat post too much. I didn't think too much of it until I started reading about how soft the set screw and remembering the bike shop telling me one of their customers had to get a new frame due to the set screw stripping out completely and thus the seat post was unable to be removed so that turned into new frame day for the customer (I assume on the customer's dime, but I didn't ask).

Anyway, after visiting the bike shop once or twice (pretty sure it was twice), all was well. That was, until I bought a second hand smart trainer and started doing a "virtual bike fit" (MyVeloFit online) on September 12th. It mentioned that my saddle height should be lowered 10cm or what not and I kind of felt like it was correct in that my saddle height was too high. Oh I also purchased a new saddle, so figured that could be some of the "issue" of why my saddle height needed more evaluation. Felt kind of bad "cheating" on the fitter but figured only one way to find out what I really like is by trying different things. I can always adjust back if needed.

So when I adjusted my saddle I noticed the set screw was getting more and more rounded (the hex part where the hex key/torque wrench engages it). Since I had the original seat post, including the set screw and what not I said no biggie I will go ahead and swap the screw over (the whole binder kit really). Well, the wiggle in the seat post was back now. I torqued to spec and no go... I figure, well let me loosen the set screw and try again. Well, same exact thing happened to me. My torque wrench slipped before getting back up to the right torque.

At this point I gave up on the virtual fit for the time being and admitted defeat. I posted some video of the issue on FaceBook and someone that works at Trek mentioned that there is a bulletin (not released to the public of course) for this issue. The old fix was to wrap some rubber tape around the seat post and call it a day. The new fix is a new flat black seat post that is supposedly grippier (mine is gloss black), along with sanding any paint inside the frame where the seat post goes into. I've read that Trek says not to use carbon paste, but I've also read that they do say to use carbon paste. I'm not sure which is correct or if this has changed over time but my Trek Store added some regardless.

I go to the Trek store on September 13th and I mention the bulletin to the store and the mechanic there is like ok, we can order you a new seat post, that will be ~$250 + tax or whatever. I'm like dude, I just want my seat post working. Left it with him, but then I called back and was like, that ain't right! It should be covered under warranty. He tells me warranty is only 30 days for parts, but he says he will do what he can when he reaches out to corporate. I didn't think at the time, well it's not really the seat posts fault the frame doesn't like it! It's a frame issue, not a seat post issue, but I guess it could be either really.

I end up eventually talking to a manager as I play phone tag with the store to try to figure out what's going to happen. The manager says, well I'm 80% sure it's just you just need a new seatpost binder kit and you will be good. If not, we will have a leg to stand on for your warranty claim. He also mentioned he will sell the parts to me at cost + 10% in the worst case scenario if I have to pay for a new seatpost. I figured that is fair enough. I am a reasonable enough guy and just want my bike in working order one way or another.

Manager calls me a week later and says, your bike is ready to go. I pick it up on September 20th. This is after the seat binder kit replacement that I bought. I'm like great! Drive across town to get it, take it home, swap cassettes on the trainer, mount my bike. I'm so excited to have my bike back after a week or what not!

And... D'oh!!!! Seems they just swapped the part and didn't even bother to check for my original complaint of the wiggle in the seat post! At this point I remove the bike from the trainer and what not and don't even want to touch the thing!

View: https://youtu.be/Dk3PckfP3Bw

View: https://youtu.be/S0RxxmP-5Ak

I call the manager right away and tell him I'm not happy. I send him the vids and he says he will get back to me, 5 days later! It is now September 25th. Finally gets back to me today (of course I called yesterday and he wasn't in,Mondayy they were closed, before that was the weekend, I was the one that had to call to get an update, yada yada) and the bike is going back to the shop tomorrow. Fingers crossed I can ride my road bike soon! The only good thing is that I have a used hybrid bike (seat post on that thing is rock solid BTW) that I am using for Zwift. I swapped my clipless pedals over to it. Didn't dare touch my new saddle on my road bike as I'm terrified of the thing at this point lol.

As always, sorry for writing a book as always. Figured sharing would at least make me feel a little better. The verdict is still out :biggrin:!

Last edited:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Contact Trek direct.

They are a way past helpful outfit.

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Contact Trek direct.

They are a way past helpful outfit.

The sad part is that this is a Trek shop. As in the name of the store is called Trek Bicycles. I'm not at the point to where I want to contact Trek corporate directly and deal with this headache myself lol. I'm still hopeful that they will end up getting this resolved. 🤞

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Isnt the whole point of the Domane Elastometer that there is a bit of flex and vibration damping in that area?

I don't believe this is related to the rear iso speed. The Trek service manager agreed that this is not normal. My issue is with how the seat post interfaces with the frame.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A quick bit of research shows that the issue is a recurring one with that seatpost design and i saw one post that solved it by literally putting an elastic band around the post and pushing it down into the frame then insulation tape to stop any dirt / water ingress .
Almost seems to me like it a poor design thats missing something .

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

A quick bit of research shows that the issue is a recurring one with that seatpost design and i saw one post that solved it by literally putting an elastic band around the post and pushing it down into the frame then insulation tape to stop any dirt / water ingress .
Almost seems to me like it a poor design thats missing something .

Ye, mentioned the similar in my original thread. I know I wrote a book, so easy to miss.

"At this point I gave up on the virtual fit for the time being and admitted defeat. I posted some video of the issue on FaceBook and someone that works at Trek mentioned that there is a bulletin (not released to the public of course) for this issue. The old fix was to wrap some rubber tape around the seat post and call it a day. The new fix is a new flat black seat post that is supposedly grippier (mine is gloss black), along with sanding any paint inside the frame where the seat post goes into. I've read that Trek says not to use carbon paste, but I've also read that they do say to use carbon paste. I'm not sure which is correct or if this has changed over time but my Trek Store added some regardless."

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Just an update, when I took my bike in this morning the service manager pulls out the torque wrench and simply torqued the set screw to spec and it SEEMS much more sturdy. I THINK it may still have some slight wobble but going to ride it at this point and see what happens. The service manager said he did what he needed to do, so if anything happens regarding the seat post going forward it will be covered under warranty. We will see.

Erasmus

I know it doesn't help with your main problem, but the bolt head getting stripped/rounded is possibly down to the wrong tool being used at some stage.

I had this happen with a Giant saddle clamp assembly where I was using a hex Allen key, but the bolt had a torx head. The Allen key was a "near enough" fit for a while, but did strip the head over time.

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

I know it doesn't help with your main problem, but the bolt head getting stripped/rounded is possibly down to the wrong tool being used at some stage.

I had this happen with a Giant saddle clamp assembly where I was using a hex Allen key, but the bolt had a torx head. The Allen key was a "near enough" fit for a while, but did strip the head over time.

I've bought a new hex socket. So far so good on testing the torque by setting it to the correct amount and verifying the torque wrench clicks.

OP
OP
philipgonzales3

philipgonzales3

Newer UPDATE
Wobbly as ever again after my first ride.
I noticed this wobble is present when I "test" it by wiggling it with my hands.
Only have had a short ride of 45 minutes before, but didn't notice much while actually seated on this bike.
This MAY be a case of, well just don't "test" it with my hands. I am doubtful and I am pretty sure it's going to start squeaking and moaning.
At this point I am just going to send it and hope that if it blows up that the frame gets damaged so it can be replaced. At this point just want to ride my darn road bike.
Newer UPDATE

Top Bottom