Tour de France 2024 SPOILERS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I reckon I'd be at least 10 hours behind.

Actually correct that, I don't think I'd finish.

I reckon if we formed a grupetto then a couple of days behind should be easily achievable.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Great race this year.

I'm not a hardcore and knowledgeable fan like some on here. But, I really do get excited by some of these stages and appreciate the sheer hard work put in by these guys - and their sheer ballsiness when zipping down twisty descents*.

*I've had enough at about 30mph going down long, straight hills! Thes guys are plain nuts, but I do admire them.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
From the Guardian live report feed:
"He looks cooked but his Astana teammates got him over the line, in the time limit. He looks bent double on his bike. Shades on, no smile, close to tears, but what a competitor. He thanks his teammates and looks to be retching. No wonder. He takes on fluid. Arnaud Demare also made it by seconds."

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Full marks to Jonas in his post-race interview.

Very honest, no trace of ego and full of recognition for what Pog did today.

10/10.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Orla's comments on the strictness of the cut-off/elimination rules, and Robbie's correction that they are not so strict, got me trying to hunt down a memory of a time that Cav was outside the time limit, reinstated and fined points. After a bit of searching, It turns out that the internet's best source on the minutiae of TdF stages is Cyclechat.

Turns out it was 2011. The year Cadel won, Jonny Hoogerland got barbed and Tommy Voeckler had an extended run in yellow. Stage 18, the Galibier, won by Andy Schleck with a gritty loss-limiting ride from Evans. Over half the field was outside the time limit that day.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tour-de-france-stage-18-spoiler.81864/page-5

Despite the 20 point fine, Cav still won the green jersey that year.

Last edited:

TomDW

Will be interesting to see how Vingegard fairs after this. He must be missing Kuss. Roglic can be safe in the knowledge he wouldn't have won had he stayed in the race.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@Dogtrousers I think you'll find he was let off again the next day. That was the year they'd amended the green jersey competition specifically to help Cavendish win it, so it's not hard to imagine that the 20-point fine was carefully chosen to make sure it didn't ruin everything.

And then he won the final stage. After being let back into the race twice. Merckx must be fuming inwardly.

Top Bottom