Tour de France 2013 *spoilers*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Why is that none of the commentators realise what Froome and Brailsford did yesterday with the timing of the bike change? It seems obvious to me that they were indulging in a tiny but important piece of psychology - by changing just before the second time check, it would make it look to Contador ahead that Froome was down on him, and allow Froome to disguise his real pace (which was already level with or quicker than Contador).

Rob Hayles said exactly that on the 5-live commentary at the time

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Say what you like about ES coverage, at least I'll never wonder again who to go to if I need an iceberg transported halfway round the world.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Why is that none of the commentators realise what Froome and Brailsford did yesterday with the timing of the bike change? It seems obvious to me that they were indulging in a tiny but important piece of psychology - by changing just before the second time check, it would make it look to Contador ahead that Froome was down on him, and allow Froome to disguise his real pace (which was already level with or quicker than Contador).

I think Liggett mentioned this during the live commentary yesterday, not the psychological aspect of it, but that Froome might actually be quicker than Contador when the bike change time was included.

thom

____
Yes, it did look like a clear intent to change before the timer and perhaps skew the meaning of the timer for other riders.
Thinking about it though, the way it worked out, it helped that they got a clean timing of how far Froome was on the last section without having the change left to make - Contador was 6 mins on the road ahead of Froome so whatever the final Froome/Contador time difference, Contador likely had little opportunity to respond to Froome at that point but Froome certainly had a more accurate idea of where he was in relation to Contador.

VamP

Banned
Speaking of bike changes; as we appear to be, Kreuziger said in his piece for the Czech media that it was his own decision not to change bikes, not a team strategy. He didn't want to disrupt his rhythm and maintains that he made the right decision.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
stolen off the BBC web site. This would be a shame!

"A word of warning about the potential thrills and spills to come on the slopes of L'Alpe d'Huez later on today. If we get heavy rain, then the organisers say the race will finish when the riders reach the summit for the first time - they won't go down and then back up again.
Let's just hope the weather doesn't spoil our fun, but there is already concern over the safety of the descent down L'Alpe, down Col de Sarenne, and treacherous conditions would make things even worse."

The Couch

Über Member
Which is why I said this:
Yeah, Froome looking like he has best chances to beat Purito
But I would assume that Saxo must have had tv on in the car, so they must have seen the bike change as well... so not sure if that made any difference in Contador giving it all or not... I believe it's more the bike difference itself that caused Froome to win it (by so close)

The Couch

Über Member
stolen off the BBC web site. This would be a shame!

"A word of warning about the potential thrills and spills to come on the slopes of L'Alpe d'Huez later on today. If we get heavy rain, then the organisers say the race will finish when the riders reach the summit for the first time - they won't go down and then back up again.
Let's just hope the weather doesn't spoil our fun, but there is already concern over the safety of the descent down L'Alpe, down Col de Sarenne, and treacherous conditions would make things even worse."
BOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Eurosport have just broadcast an interview with Tour event director Jean Francois Pescheux who says the riders will just have to deal with whatever weather the gods throw at them. Unless the roads are actually washed away, he says, they'll be going up Alpe d'Huez twice.

thom

____
Eurosport have just broadcast an interview with Tour event director Jean Francois Pescheux who says the riders will just have to deal with whatever weather the gods throw at them. Unless the roads are actually washed away, he says, they'll be going up Alpe d'Huez twice.
But the camera-motos won't be descending with the riders as there is some dampness on the newly laid roads - rain brings out oil on fresh tarmac doesn't it ?

The Couch

Über Member
Sagan has all the luck...
4a9274aa-ef21-11e2-a027-7ce7b1f4624a_original.jpg

Top Bottom