Torque Wrench question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
My Norbar torque wrench does both left and right hand threads by sliding the square drive peg through to the other side of the head, not by the ratchet or clicker mechanism reversing.

View attachment 741796

Exactly as I described for mine earlier upthread. The ratchet itself only goes one way, but you turn the driver around to reverse the direction and get torquey clicking both ways.

scotsbikester

Exactly as I described for mine earlier upthread. The ratchet itself only goes one way, but you turn the driver around to reverse the direction and get torquey clicking both ways.

Apologies, I didn't see your earlier post.

This is useful. I didn't know such things existed. If I had I would have bought one and not ended up with so many torque wrenches. Although I've got the feeling that I bought the beam wrench because of the drive size, to fit with a BB/Cassette/Pedal tool of some sort, as much as the reversibility.

I must have really poor spatial imagination, or something. I'm really struggling to imagine how pushing the square drive through works. I think I'd have to hold one in my hand.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Apologies, I didn't see your earlier post.

This is useful. I didn't know such things existed. If I had I would have bought one and not ended up with so many torque wrenches. Although I've got the feeling that I bought the beam wrench because of the drive size, to fit with a BB/Cassette/Pedal tool of some sort, as much as the reversibility.

I must have really poor spatial imagination, or something. I'm really struggling to imagine how pushing the square drive through works. I think I'd have to hold one in my hand.

Does this help?
IMG_6017.jpeg

IMG_6018.jpeg

IMG_6019.jpeg

Mine is a Halfords Professional one from years ago.

presta

Guru
I must have really poor spatial imagination, or something. I'm really struggling to imagine how pushing the square drive through works.

If the drive peg protrudes from the other side you have to turn the wrench over to use it and so the clicker operates on anticlockwise instead of clockwise. (Mine's >45 years old, I don't know what's available today.)

scotsbikester

If the drive peg protrudes from the other side you have to turn the wrench over to use it and so the clicker operates on anticlockwise instead of clockwise. (Mine's >45 years old, I don't know what's available today.)

I think I get it. It's definitely one of those things that would be really obvious if I had one in my hands.

I really wish I'd known about these before I spent time and money setting myself up for the two (!) left hand threads on the bike.

If the UN300 is like the older Shimano sq taper, you can get pretty close by standing on the end of a typical wrench.
(i.e. force = <your weight>) This assumes you're good with the basic arithmetic - and units - of torque.
I don't think you need 1% accuracy for torquing such a large, robust component.

I think it's worth doing them up tight ENOUGH. A lot of grief will result if one comes loose :-/

Top Bottom