Three 30-minute rides each week of the year Challenge 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Week 31: 4 qualifying rides, 107 km, 5¼ hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 34 km. A646 to Bacup Rd, then back to Walk Mill. Climbed to Overtown, Long Causeway, Blackshaw Head, Great Rock, Cross Stone Rd, Tod, then an extra loop up and down Rochdale Rd. 1¾ hrs.
  • Ride 2 (Wed): 15 km. ELLL. ¾ hr.
  • Ride 3 (Thu): 34 km. Tod, clockwise Cragg Vale loop and back to home. 1½ hrs.
  • Ride 4 (Sun): 24 km. Tod, local hills then Walsden, Calderbrook, Caldermoor, Littleborough, Caldermoor, Calderbrook, Walsden, Tod, another local hill on way home. 1¼ hrs.
All rides on CAAD5 using lots of gears.

Success rate: 31 weeks out of 31.

111 qualifying rides so far this year. Weekly target 100 km; total to date: 2,998 km. Average progress now = 96.7%; last week = 96.4%. Total ride time approximately 177¼ hrs.

PS Special characters to copy and paste for ride durations - ¼ ½ ¾ !

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Without checking my notes I can't remember if it was 4 or 5 rides this week. More than 3 anyway :smile:

I did go and check out the new bridge at the new station and wasn't surprised to find that it's been designed to be as inconvenient as possible for pedestrians and cyclists using the path. You have to cross two directions of traffic at each end of the bridge instead of just running the path along the other side of the bridge. And naturally the crossings are near roundabouts so you have to second guess the direction of the traffic. I'm so pleased that I don't commute anymore.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Working on a site near home so I've used the bike to get there and back a couple of times
W31R1- Centurion 40 mins - local miles.
W31R2 - Hybrid 1 hour 2 mins - to and from site.
W31R3 -Hybrid 58 mins - to and from site.
W31R4- Centurion 38 mins - local miles.
On site shenanigans.
DSC_2636.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I just read about the tragic death of a local e-biker on Sunday evening. I very nearly went up Bacup Road where the man died, shortly after that time on my Sunday ride. I had intended turning up the road to Sourhall at Clough Foot. It sounds like the crash happened at or near that junction. I changed my mind at the last moment, deciding that I felt like an easier ride. I remember a police car and a paramedic car had hurtled past me with blue lights flashing.

It sounds like nothing could be done for the poor man. From a purely selfish point of view I am very glad that I changed route and so didn't see the aftermath...

R.I.P.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Week 32: 4 qualifying rides, 155 km, 9¾ hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 24 km. Very lumpy, very extended LL. 1½ hrs.
  • Ride 2 (Thu): 9 km. LLL. ½ hr.
  • Ride 3 (Fri): 22 km. LLL extended as far as Calderbrook and Caldermoor. 1¼ hrs.
  • Ride 4 (Sun): 100 km. Tod, Hebden Bridge, Oxenhope, Oldfield, Laneshaw Bridge, Colne Edge, Foulridge, towpath to Barnoldswick, Downham, Worston, Nick o' Pendle, Sabden, Padiham Greenway, A646 to Tod, local loop to get metric century in. Pretty warm (24 C) and hilly (>1,700 m of ascent, some steep). 6½ hrs.
All rides except Thu on CAAD5 using lots of gears. Thu on 6-er in singlespeed mode.

Success rate: 32 weeks out of 32.

115 qualifying rides so far this year. Weekly target 100 km; total to date: 3,153 km. Average progress now = 98.5%; last week = 96.7%. Total ride time approximately 187 hrs.

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
Been a stupidly busy week - better late than never
W32R1- CX 3 hour 8 mins - Oswestry, Maesbury Marsh, Maesbrook, Melverley, Crew Green, Criggion, Four Crosses, Llanymynych, Maesbury, Acton Square, Oswestry (35.6 miles / 57.3 km plus 411 m / 1,350 ft ascent).
W32R2 - CX 4 hour 53 mins - Shrewsbury, Battlefield, Leaton, Baschurch, Ruyton XI Towns, Wykey, Rednal, Acton Square, Whittington, St Martins (highest point I think), Criftins, Crickett, Tetchill, Bagley, Baschurch, Fitx, Preston Montford, Belle Vue (51.3 miles / 82.6 km plus 472 m / 1,550 ft ascent).
W32R3 - CX 47 mins - Wriggly route round and about the southern outskirts of Shrewsbury.
W32R4 -CX 1 hour - Wriggly route through Meole Brace, Kingsland, Shrewsbury etc.
School house, St Martins
DSC_2822.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Week 33: 4 qualifying rides, 101 km, 7 hrs.
  • Ride 1 (Tue): 18 km. ELLL including Lumbutts climb. 1 hr.
  • Ride 2 (Wed): 25*** km. Tod to Hebden Bridge, (train to Grange-over-Sands), G-o-S to Meathop, (dropped luggage off), back to G-o-S, (shops), back to Meathop. 2 hrs.
  • Ride 3 (Sat): 28*** km. Meathop to Arnside for coffee and ice cream, (train back to G-o-S), G-o-S to Meathop. 2¼ hrs.
  • Ride 4 (Sun): 30 km. Meathop, Cartmel Fell, Meathop. 1¾ hrs.
All rides on 6-er in singlespeed mode except for steep ramps on Sunday ride.

Success rate: 33 weeks out of 33.

119 qualifying rides so far this year. Weekly target 100 km; total to date: 3,254 km. Average progress now = 98.6%; last week = 98.5%. Total ride time approximately 194 hrs.

*** The rides on those 2 days were split by train journeys etc so technically they could be considered multiple rides of less than 30 minutes but I AM going to count them as single rides because they were effectively single outings on the bike!

FrothNinja

Veteran
Been another stupidly busy week and not likely to ease up soon - though I am hoping to get away for a couple of days.
W33R1- Centurion 35 mins - local miles.
W33R2 - Hybrid 1 hour 33 mins - Clarion loopish.
W33R3 - Centurion 45 mins - local miles.
DSC_2985.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I got out too, was actually sunny a couple of times, also a tad wet a couple of times too
No rain here during yesterday's ride.

I went out this afternoon with a hilly route in mind but spotted a woman picking blackberries from the side of the Woodhouse Rd climb to Lumbutts. I did the rest of that climb but then diverted home to pick up a plastic container and then rode back to pick some blackberries myself.

I think I will start carrying some small plastic bags on my rides for use when fruit picking!

Top Bottom