The rugby

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Here it is for anyone who missed it.
and yes, i agree with Jonathan Davies for once, that could have gone anywhere and was a very risky move.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/rugby-union/68529972

I hadn't seen it before - was out all day yesterday, not getting home until just after 6, and heard the score so didn't bother watching :sad:

But looking at that, yep, no way he knew who was going to catch it. Looked spectacular, brilliant when it comes off (as it did), but had a better chance of not working than of working.

AndyRM

XOXO
Looked awesome, total fluke. I admire it for the beauty but anyone who thinks he meant it to work out is kidding themselves.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm going to swim against the tide here. He knew what he was doing, and he knew the distribution of his players on the pitch. He's a professional international scrum half. That's his job. It wasn't a total shot in the dark. Very risky for sure - the biggest risk being an interception. Lucky it came off as well as it did but it wasn't a wild pass to nowhere.

An old school rugby coach decades ago used to tell us to trust our teammates to be there. The idea being we had been drilled on where to be, to look for and we would trust that to happen.

I know that's over simplified but let's look at the situation. Highly trained international rugby pros who aren't aware of the field, how long would they last as an international? A wild shot but he probably knew or trusted that there's a teammate in that position who's awake or aware of what's going on. There's been wilder shots out of a tackle. Although it's not a pass to try get often that's for certain,

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I count 5 blue jerseys in the area that pass was going that he would have been aware of in a quick glance. Risky, but calculated.

It was always a calculated risk.
Apart from the obvious risk of an interception there was the clear risk of a massive hospital pass with a crunching tackle straight in the ribs.
If I was a team mate I would be very unimpressed to receive that pass.

Also there was a test shirt running on an intercept if he passed closer I reckon. That pass went over the top of the red shirt who ran on. I think he might have spotted that. If so could it have been less of an iffy option?

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
The U20 series has been entertaining this year. Concluded last night with the decider being the last game of the season. There's a lot of talent coming through.

All matches are currently on BBC iplayer.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Good match. Not exactly the result I was hoping for. But a good match and a fair enough result.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
It was always going to be close. Could have gone either way.
I think the French got quite lucky, but I’m biased.
Pleased for Italy.
Ireland only scraped home.

MikeG

Guru
Italy being competitive is good news after decades of them not really justifying their existence in the 6N. Scotland were extremely hit-and-miss, and it just looks ridiculous to only properly get motivated for one game: England. The cynic might suggest that it's the game they judge their season on. Wales were awful, and with no glimmers of hope on the horizon. France got better and better, and England finally realised that they don't have to play a stultifying game to win. Ireland were quality, but not miles ahead of England, France and Scotland. The one good thing about the Welsh siutuation is that they can rebuild from scratch without any great pressure on the players for a couple of years. Chuck in a bunch of kids and the public will give them good support.

Slick

Guru
Italy being competitive is good news after decades of them not really justifying their existence in the 6N. Scotland were extremely hit-and-miss, and it just looks ridiculous to only properly get motivated for one game: England. The cynic might suggest that it's the game they judge their season on. Wales were awful, and with no glimmers of hope on the horizon. France got better and better, and England finally realised that they don't have to play a stultifying game to win. Ireland were quality, but not miles ahead of England, France and Scotland. The one good thing about the Welsh siutuation is that they can rebuild from scratch without any great pressure on the players for a couple of years. Chuck in a bunch of kids and the public will give them good support.

I don't think its a fair representation of Scotland’s campaign to say the only game they were "properly" motivated for was against the English.

I feel Scotland should have beat France, and we ran Ireland all the way, of course we had to defend well in periods of the game but that would be expected, but the defeat to Italy was woeful. I think the Scottish coaching should take a large slice of the blame for the poor result as I think they had the resources to achieve much more than they did, but thinking its all about England probably says more about you than the Scotland team. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Top Bottom