The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Very True. Our preservation of steam has been largely due the auspices of Norfolk and Souther(but then Norfolk and Western) and Union Pacific railroads, and their dedication to keeping steam alive. Also, the Indiana Harbor Belt Railroad sent all of their 0-8-0 USRA type locomotives to Sterling, Illinois, to the Steel Mill to be scrapped. They were, but many many years later, after many had seen them, doing their thing.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
2014-05-27-11-22-01-jpg.46280.jpg

60100 taken earlier in the week at Westerleigh Oil Terminal.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
2014-05-27-11-22-01-jpg.46280.jpg

60100 taken earlier in the week at Westerleigh Oil Terminal.

Ooohh, 60100, the former 'Boar Of Badennoch', and one of my favourite class 60s. I saw it for the first time at Acton in 1996, when I simply walked into the place and saw everything (including a newly repainted 60019 in the then brand new EW&S livery) before a member of staff saw me and chucked me out!! :giggle:

Also are you aware that 60100 has been designated for the Nation Railway Museum?? Yes, it is (I think) the last British built mainline diesel or something similar!!
I do wonder what would have happened to it if the 'Super 60' programme hadn't come along and got it fully refurbished!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I paid a visit the the Gauge O Guild's norther show in Cleckheaton this afternoon.

436c49e8a57b3357d1998e91639d1c5d.jpg

Part built 14xx locomotive

2da5ea659d3b88def0a03b34a28f6562.jpg

14xx locomotive

f3bec0b6c94d8f63d287425c50a89ad7.jpg

Gauge three class 25 model under construction on Agenoria Models' stand

6c6c29ee4dea4ce3a6f935cb40807195.jpg

5" gauge class 25 bogie fabricated from etched nickel silver sheet

10388097_10152475740073330_660367056452320470_n.jpg

GWR pannier tank

10294307_10152475739863330_7655620031767972582_n.jpg

Class 10 shunter

ab7906c101e54bf64b706b28e3725663.jpg

Booty - one step closer to having a layout.

Pete Waterman was in attendance selling kits by his model railway company, 'Just Like the Real Thing'. I was so tempted by some industrial locomotive kits, the Hunslet modification of the Avonside 1101 class 0-4-0 was really tempting.

Here's a picture of the similar Avon 1101 class

AM43.jpg

A pleasant couple of hours.

vernon

[QUOTE 3110513, member: 45"]Pete Waterman's stuff isn't the best quality. There's better.[/QUOTE]

I'm not in the market for anything he has on offer. I have a shopping list mostly populated by industrial locomotives from Agenoria, Judith Edge and Mercian Model Rail.

vernon

[QUOTE 3110529, member: 45"]Nice. To build yourself?[/QUOTE]

Oh yes indeedy. I have the tools and the skills. I just don't have the time at the moment.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'm not sure of a class 14 on that line in, what, 2006? But, there was one there last year for the Diesel Gala (D9521)

Oh and 2.25, there you go, a Class 07/14 combo!!:

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb4r6Gb3vGM

I've ridden on an elderly DMU at the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway. It was a terrible racket once it got underway. I was left wondering if we would make it to Haworth!

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I simply walked into the place and saw everything (including a newly repainted 60019 in the then brand new EW&S livery) before a member of staff saw me and chucked me out!! :giggle:
LOL! I'll give you 10/10 for the brazen cheekiness of just walking straight in there!

Edit: Were you wearing a fluorescent orange tabard? You might have got away with it for longer!

Last edited:

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I'm not in the market for anything he has on offer. I have a shopping list mostly populated by industrial locomotives from Agenoria, Judith Edge and Mercian Model Rail.
If you like this sort of thing......
Home_Page_Pic.jpg

......have you ever been to the Bristol Industrial Museum and seen their quayside railway?

Portbury-steam-loco-2013.jpg

They also have a fully working steam crane, and various interesting steam tugs, as well as some concorde stuff.

vernon

If you like this sort of thing......
Home_Page_Pic.jpg

......have you ever been to the Bristol Industrial Museum and seen their quayside railway?

The photograph of the model is cruel - highlighting the misaligned over scale rivets.

They also have a fully working steam crane, and various interesting steam tugs, as well as some concorde stuff.

Nope not been to the railway. It's a bit too far for a day out though I could be persuaded to have a long weekend and take in the Severn Valley Railway and anything else between Bewdly and Bristol.

vernon

LOL! I'll give you 10/10 for the brazen cheekiness of just walking straight in there!

Edit: Were you wearing a fluorescent orange tabard? You might have got away with it for longer!

Trainspotting in the seventies used to be easier than that. More often than not, walking up to the depot, asking to see the foreman to see if he'd grant permission to 'do' the shed almost always got you access and you were usually left alone to get on with it. Some sheds/depot staff were notoriously vicious - Holbeck, March and Toton spring to mind.

York was my favourite depot. I got to operate the turntable with a class 20 on it in the roundhouse which now forms part of the national railway museum and my 'work' was rewarded with a ride out to the freight yard and back once some wagons had been shuffled. I also got to spend an afternoon in the cab of an 08 shunter there. Darlington wasn't too bad and rides in the cab of the 03 station pilot were quite common.

Top Bottom