The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Here's a snippet that I was unfamiliar with - there were some named class 37s that never had their nameplates revealed in public - I never saw an hint of a name in any of the past Ian Allan ABC reprints that I had.

Class 37

(D)670337 003The 1st East Anglian RegimentApplied at Stratford depot 4.63Removed 9.63
(D)670437 004The 2nd East Anglian RegimentApplied at Stratford depot 4.63Removed 5.63
(D)670737 007The 3rd East Anglian RegimentApplied at Stratford depot 4.63Removed 9.63

d6703.jpg

D6703 pictured in July 1963 with its 'boarded up' The 1st East Anglian Regiment nameplate clearly visible directly behind
the cooler group grillle.

Note: Somewhat of a mystery surrounds these namings. The plates were fitted, but at all times they were obscured by plywood covers until the nameplates were removed. Reported information gives one explanation as being that the regiments were re-amalgamated into one, thereby the names not being appropriate. Another reports that the army insisted that the plates included details of the regiments former guises, i.e. First East Anglian Regiment - Successor to the Suffolk Regiment, Second East Anglian Regiment - Successor to the Northamptonshire Regiment & Third East Anglian Regiment - Successor to the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiments and the Essex Regiment. British Railways at the time wanted to keep all new names simple, and with no compromise on either side, the whole project was scrapped. Perhaps this is one mystery that will remain in the annuls of time...

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Just copy and paste the listing from a Deltic fanboy site MDB.

Recalling them isn't worth troubling one's neurons.

Yebbut that would be to easy!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Yesterday I visited Gaugemaster Model Railways' shop - claimed to be the biggest model railway shop in the UK. Their stock of O gauge items came to a GWR Toad kit. One flat truck kit and about half a dozen Dapol open wagons.

The lack of stock saved me a fortune and my wallet undisturbed.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
If memory serves D857 is a Warship! But not sure which one? I'll guess at Formidable?

The Warships were all named alphabetically (except for a few exceptions like D800, D812 and some of the 'Z's), and as far as I remember, the only 'F' was D817 Foxhound.

..... Yes, D814 Dragon, D815 Druid, D816 Eclipse, D817 Foxhound, D818 Glory, D819 Goliath, D820 Grenville, D821 Greyhound, etc etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom