The price of fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Squire
There was a TV programme on in the week where they were having to carry out DNA analysis to determine what species of fish was what so not surprised that you as a consumer couldn't be sure.
I always specifically ask for cod and chips..never ever fish and chips which my wife, to my mild annoyance, frequently does.
Ask for fish and chips...you'll get whatever fish. Ask for cod and you've made them make a decision, either do it right , or do it wrong and face possible consequences.
It doesn't always work of course...I know when I've been given something that isn't cod. But...you can only do what you can do.

At the risk of another "tyres thread"..... Mushy peas or proper peas

biggs682

Itching to get back on my bike's
At the risk of another "tyres thread"..... Mushy peas or proper peas
NOT MUSHY FOR ME THANKS

Our local chippy does £1.10 meal deals choice of Sausage , fish cake , pineapple batter ring and a portion of chips portions are not massive but nice enough and comes with a portion of either curry sauce , gravy or baked beans

Drago

Legendary Member
@Cunobelin No no no Sir, regulations stated they must be wrapped in a local free newspaper, hence their nickname as 'chipwrappers.'. In fact, paper boys had a deal with the chippy whereby they would collect their papers from the newsagent and deliver them straight to Bert at the chippy.

Cod, chips & peas £4.80 at Wards in Penistone. Very nice too :hungry:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
VC Jones in Whitstable has a well deserved reputation for excellent fish & chips. Can't remember how much they charge but £7-8 sounds about right.

You have to get there early though - official closing time is 8pm but they've usually stopped serving before then.

Drago

Legendary Member
We have a mobile chip shop come to our village every Friday, and it always obligingly parks outside my gaff. Anyway, on one occasion I asked for curry sauce. The chap had none mixed up and ready - I was about to wrestle him to the ground and give him a damn good thrashing for his negligence when he gave me a contained of the powder to make some myself. Lasted me weeks. I had curry sauce with chips, sandwiches, steak, fish fingers, salad, ice cream, spag bol, absolutely everything.

Sandra6

Veteran
£10.70 for small fish and large fish and chips at Rennucis in Carlisle.And it is a large fish...in fact the small one is in itself quite a challenge!Chip's?....oh, quite a lot!I'm happy to pay,as every now and then I thoroughly enjoy fish and chips.
I think I'm barred from Renuccis after arguing about their ridiculous "ticket" system.
All I wanted was a portion of chips and I had to wait until they'd cooked three lots of fish and chips for somebody else before they'd even consider putting my chips in the frier.
I think it's about £7 at Silloth for fish and chips, but that feeds two of us, so it's a better deal than Macdonalds which may be cheaper but you're hungry again five minutes later.

stephec

Squire
I think I'm barred from Renuccis after arguing about their ridiculous "ticket" system.
All I wanted was a portion of chips and I had to wait until they'd cooked three lots of fish and chips for somebody else before they'd even consider putting my chips in the frier.
I think it's about £7 at Silloth for fish and chips, but that feeds two of us, so it's a better deal than Macdonalds which may be cheaper but you're hungry again five minutes later.
In Silloth do you mean the one on the corner of the street that goes down to the RNLI station?

Top Bottom