The 'End Of An Era'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My Aunt and Uncle are also selling their farmhouse and farm this year. It's been in my Uncle's family for 14 generations. Still has some of the old grain lofts in it (where they'd spill the grain through the loft into a bucket below so that all the chaff was blown out through the open-sided shed). They have spent a fortune over the last 20 years because it's listed, so they had to have a period stone wall done. My Dad also made an ensuite between two of the bedrooms which was a nightmare, as all the walls were rough cut stone and nothing was level. The floor joists were also just thick tree branches. It has become so expensive to maintain and heat in the winter that they are finally selling up. It's a shame, but someone rich with a large family will have a very nice house
They never talk about running costs in "Escape To The Country" but some of the featured houses are obvious money pits. Barn conversions in a stretched-out configuration with vaulted ceilings spring to mind.

Satin emulsion is the work of the Devil.

Unless you have cats.

Who do you think invented cats? (Sorry @Reynard)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There is something about a woodchip papered wall, painted over in matt magnolia emulsion paint that makes you think of England!! 🧐 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

I would have said anaglypta :

Screenshot_20240701-111242.png

A real barsteward to remove.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Aunt and Uncle are also selling their farmhouse and farm this year. It's been in my Uncle's family for 14 generations. Still has some of the old grain lofts in it (where they'd spill the grain through the loft into a bucket below so that all the chaff was blown out through the open-sided shed). They have spent a fortune over the last 20 years because it's listed, so they had to have a period stone wall done. My Dad also made an ensuite between two of the bedrooms which was a nightmare, as all the walls were rough cut stone and nothing was level. The floor joists were also just thick tree branches. It has become so expensive to maintain and heat in the winter that they are finally selling up. It's a shame, but someone rich with a large family will have a very nice house

It's been in the family for years...

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0ipZXYKeoqs&pp=ygUWSGFsZSBhbmQgcGFjZSB2aWJyYXRvcg%3D%3D

Drago

Legendary Member
....with a faint musty smell...

Sorry about that. These Y fronts have been on for 5 months now and are due a scrape and a dose of Febreeze.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
And peeling apart from the rising damp

Maybe peeling from the wall seams, taped down with sellotape for that truly full authentic look!! 🧐

I remember me as an apprentice painter & decorator using a seam roller to make sure the seams would stick. The bloke who was showing me the ropes rollocked me as I pressed too hard when rolling over the seams, squashing the blown vinyl, making them stand out like a sore thumb!!:unsure:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
As a HiFi fan I can tell you that 'woodchip' (the good stuff with plenty of 'chips') is the perfect wall covering, it stops reflections and 'standing waves' from detracting from the 'sound' of the room giving a very 'neutral' sound.
I was also given some advice from my mate Graham (time served painter and decorator) as follows, always 'size' the walls before hanging paper and use a good quality paste and plenty of it. Wallpaper Paste is the least expensive part of decorating a room so that's not the place to try 'economising' (a fact that DIYers don't know) and try to leave each 'drop' of paper to soak/rest for the same amount of time before hanging it which is generally the time it takes to cut and paste the next 'drop' before hanging the first and then cutting and pasting the next before hanging the 2nd and so on with the next 'drop'
He also gave me a 'masterclass' in papering ceilings including how to 'cross paper' first with lining paper and how to fold the paper after pasting and how to support the paper (none of this malarkey with brooms and a 'helper') Nice to get advice from a 'pro'

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Surely the best advice for wallpaper is never to put it up in the first place? The only excuse is when the walls are in terrible condition and you can't afford to have them replastered.

I had to laboriously remove wallpaper from every room in this house, including the bathroom and the conservatory.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Surely the best advice for wallpaper is never to put it up in the first place? The only excuse is when the walls are in terrible condition and you can't afford to have them replastered.

I had to laboriously remove wallpaper from every room in this house, including the bathroom and the conservatory.

My DIY skills were so dire that after enthusiastically redecorating my first bedsit ( early 70's Birmingham ) I earned the accolade " the Barry Bucknall of Brum "

Top Bottom