The best present you ever received.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k-dog

Guru
Lego.

Longish story. I was looking at old Christmas photos a few years ago and saw a big red go-kart in some. I asked my mum about it because I didn't remember having that. I was told that I didn't like it - it looked great and that's not really like me - so they took it back. They were standing in the toyshop wondering what to exchange it for and were looking at Lego - but you could only get one decent set for the money. A lady overheard my parents and offered to sell them her old stuff for the same money. I got tons of it - all great sets with the instructions all there. I've got the really retro Fire Station and a few other old sets.

Years of happiness.

I just bought some more too - Batman Lego, how cool is that. My boys are just about old enough to play with it - I try it once in a while but they still just throw it around and that gets me irritated.
 

Melvil

Legendary Member
k-dog said:
Lego.

Longish story. I was looking at old Christmas photos a few years ago and saw a big red go-kart in some. I asked my mum about it because I didn't remember having that. I was told that I didn't like it - it looked great and that's not really like me - so they took it back. They were standing in the toyshop wondering what to exchange it for and were looking at Lego - but you could only get one decent set for the money. A lady overheard my parents and offered to sell them her old stuff for the same money. I got tons of it - all great sets with the instructions all there. I've got the really retro Fire Station and a few other old sets.

Years of happiness.

I just bought some more too - Batman Lego, how cool is that. My boys are just about old enough to play with it - I try it once in a while but they still just throw it around and that gets me irritated.

Lego - especially the old kind - is ace. I still remember some of my more memorable creations, including HMS Hermes, I think it was, right down to the ski jump!
 

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
A few years back, me and the group of lads I hung about with, when going to the social club for a pre xmas dinner pint or three made a pact that you had to wear the jumper that your mom bought you for xmas. Boy was there some sights! I think we must have spilt more beer than we drunk pishin ourselves laughing !
HAPPY DAYS !!!
 

vbc

Guest
Location
Bristol
My first ever bike for my 13th birthday in, erm...1971. A late starter I know but it was a 5 speed Raleigh Olympus racer and it was the dogs danglies!

BFB...Wish I'd had Made in Japan also!
 

stevenb

Legendary Member
Location
South Beds.
I remember one year my dad got me a snooker table.....I sneaked into his bedroom to look at the box loads of times. He'd set it up for me that Xmas eve so that in the morning when I walked into the living room I jumped for joy and beemed in delight....totally gobsmacked and very very happy.
Equally was my first classy bike. I was 10 Years old...my Dad bought me a Puch mountain bike with 6 gears......I was amazed. Then when I was 14 He bought me a Raleigh Magnum mountian bike. It was sleeky black with mudguards and 15 gears. Then it got trashed when I was knocked off my bike by a car driver doing my paper round. :biggrin:
 

postman

Squire
Location
Meanwoodshire.
Can anyone remember?.Bako i think that's it's name.A green base and red and white building blocks with steel rods.You could build houses and bungalows.And what about two metal rollers called Owzat a cricket game.One roller had scores on 1-2-3-4-and so on and OWZAT you then rolled the other which had not out -bowled-caught-lbw and so on.Kept me entertained for years and taught me to add up.Never forget Brian Close got 200 not out , well ok i may have rolled it twice.Filled up hundreds of score books.
 

Intelligenthamster

Legendary Member
Location
On the Wheel
At risk of sounding really sad, my birthday present in 1987 has to get the prize for longevity. A Peugeot 10-speed road bike. It's still in use today, a little rusty and on the second set of wheels, but still going strong.

Most useful present I've had as an adult- the digital camera that Boyfriend Hamster bought me. Ever since then the 35mm has only been out once, for a trip to Chernobyl when I took both cameras.
 

Rhythm Thief

Squire
Location
Ross on Wye
In chronological order:
My first Hornby train set (my dad built me a baseboard and I had a little goods train pulled by an engine like Duck out of "Thomas the Tank Engine"). Still got it somewhere.
A pedal car.
My first bike (a Dawes Kingpin, bought by my Grandad; I eventually broke it in half doing jumps, which it was obviously never designed to do:biggrin:).
My first guitar.
 
Top Bottom