The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) a Month Challenge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
January - June inc 22 points

July 1 Saint Malo to Averanches via Mont St Michel 74.6 Kms 1 point.
July 2 Averanches to Bayeux via 1,160 metres of upness. 98.8 Kms 2 points
July 3 Bayeux to Caen via D-Day sites and the new British Memorial 73.9 Kms 1 point
July 4 Caen to Honfleur via Lisieux 105.3 Kms
3 points
July 5 Honfleur to Fecamp via Étretat 80.9 Kms 2 points.
July 6 Fécamp to Dieppe 69.1 Kms 1 point
July 14 Meathop, Levens, Beetham, Warton, Morecambe, Carnforth 61.81 1point
July 22 Norwich to Thetford via Diss 82.3 Kms 2 points

Total points to date 35

bruce1530

Guru
Jan: 1 point
Feb: 1 point
Mar: 2 points
Apr: 2 points
May: 1 point
June: 1 point

14 July: Saltcoats-kilwinning-beith-glengarnock-saltcoats. 55k

Total: 9 points

Domus

Guru
July 3 Bayeux to Caen via D-Day sites and the new British Memorial 73.9 Kms 1 point
3 points
July 23 Thetford to Kings Lynn via Swaffham
89.8 Kms 2 points.

Total points to date 37

Domus

Guru
January to June inc 22 points

3 points
89.8 Kms 2 points.
July 24 Kings Lynn to Wells next to Sea via Hunstanton 73 Kms 1 point

Total points to date 38

steverob

Guru
January: 3 rides, 3 points
February: 1 ride, 1 point
March: 4 rides, 7 points
April: 5 rides, 10 points
May: 4 rides, 11 points

June: 4 rides, 6 points
10th July: 33.79 miles - First outdoor ride in over two weeks due to weather and laziness. Did the full Ivinghoe Aston & Beacon climb and even tried a bit of sprinting - https://www.strava.com/activities/11856536695 - 1 point
14th July: 62.23 miles - Quite an undulating route via Berko, Dunstable, Wing and Waddesdon, involving both crossing a ford and riding down a new stretch of the A41 (diverted because of HS2) - https://www.strava.com/activities/11856536695 - 3 points
21st July: 73.77 miles - Rode to Abingdon, via Oxford both on the way out and the way back (but through different parts). Eddington number now up to 65 - https://www.strava.com/activities/11944588622 - 3 points
24th July: 31.23 miles - Almost exact reverse of the route I did on 25th June. Kept getting stopped by temporary traffic lights and briefly got rained on but otherwise a fine ride - https://www.strava.com/activities/11971289057 - 1 point

Total so far: 46 points

slow scot

Veteran
June. (Continued)

29th. (53km). Blacktop, Westhill, Kirkton of Skene, Loch of Skene, backroad to Raemoir road, Cullerlie standing stones, Flora’s, Drum, Deeside line.

July

2nd. (54km). As per 29th June, but with deviation to Drumoak, Deeside line.
9th. (52km). Blacktop, Westhill, Kirkton of Skene, loch of Skene, Tillymannoch, Echt, Drum, Deeside line.
24th. (51km). As per 9th July, but home via Peterculter and North Deeside road.

Total Points: 26

Domus

Guru

3 points
89.8 Kms 2 points.
July 25 wells to Sheringham via Holt 60.3 Kms 1 point

Total points to date 39

Cathryn

Legendary Member
January 1st!
50km. A familiar loop of Pewsey Vale starting from home just outside Marlborough. Friendly cyclists and horse riders, muddy and sometimes flooded lanes. Happy New Year everyone!
1 point

Feb 3rd
Used the same route as January because the weather was grey and murky although not cold at all. More fun than January because a friend came with me and we whizzed along talking non stop! Lovely cafe stop at Honey Street and then up and over the hill home for sofa time with the cats.

Total so far: 2 points!

March 9th
March’s 50km done! Lovely ride round the south Cotswolds…started and finished in Bibury. Stopped at Down Ampney to see the glorious stained glass!

Total so far: 3 points

March 30th
Unexpected 50k with my husband and son, making the most of the first lovely day for cycling! Took the back road from Marlborough to Hungerford to Tray’s Cafe, where I had the best cheese scone of my life!

Total so far: 4 points

April 5th
106km. Dieppe - Gisors. Lovely bike path for 50km and then rolling lanes for the remainder. Grey skies cleared into warmer weather. Much joy being back in France. +3 points.
Total so far: 7 points

April 6th
90km from Gisors to the Eiffel Tower and then out to our Airbnb at Boulougne Billancourt. The buzz of seeing the Arc de Triomphe in the distance was like a double shot of coffee. ARMS AND LEGS OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 2024. Spring! + 2 points.
Total so far: 9 points

April 10th
Exactly100km (phew) from Boulougne Billancourt to Amecourt. A day of two halves. A lovely morning and an afternoon of rolling rainstorms. Joy significantly diminished. Husband significantly grumpy. +3 points
Total so far: 12 points

April 11th
90 glorious km back to Dieppe. Sunshine. Blossom. Hares. Birds. Crepes. Marriage restored. +2 points
Total so far: 14 points

May 6th
50km loop of Pewsey Vale, my standard loop. Somehow it’s still raining and not warm. Somehow I’m still not in shorts. Stopped at the Piggery Farm Shop for coffee, flapjack and a snuggle with the lambs and piglets. +1 point

Total so far: 15 points!

May 30th
101 miles from home to London with my son! Epic day out, fabulously supported by the good people of cyclechat!

Total so far: 19 points

June 2nd

Glorious morning doing this month’s 50k. The standard Pewsey Vale loop but diverted into Devizes for church where I quietly repaired my slow puncture in the balcony during the service. Popped into the Honey Street cafe for lunch with the parents on the way home. Fabulous sunshine. Just about as lovely as cycling can be. +1 point

July 26th

Finally the summer holidays! The usual Pewsey Vale loop, which I really enjoy! Two cafe stops! Glorious! +1 point

Points so far: 21 points

Domus

Guru

3 points
89.8 Kms 2 points.
July 25 wells to Sheringham via Holt 60.3 Kms 1 point
July 26 Sheringham to Norwich via Wroxham 75.8Kms 1 point

Total points to date 41

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Jul 1st , 31.5 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Botcheston ,Odstone ,Carlton ,Congerstone ,Market Bosworth ,Peckleton ,Desford ,Ratby ,Markfield
Jul 5th , 31.6 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Botcheston ,Barlestone ,Market Bosworth ,Shenton ,Upton ,Cadeby ,Desford , Botcheston ,Markfield
Jul 7th ,31.7 miles , 1 point
Markfield , Botcheston ,Odstone ,Carlton ,Congerstone ,Shenton ,Market Bosworth ,Desford , Botcheston ,Markfield
Jul 13th 31.6 miles , 1 point
Same route as the 5th
Jul 14th 37.1 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Anstey ,Cossington ,Ratcliffe on wreake ,Ragdale ,Barrow , Mountsorrel ,Cropston ,Groby ,Ratby ,Markfield
Jul 16th 31.7 miles , 1 point
Same as the 7th
Jul 20th 50.3 miles , 2 points
Markfield ,Anstey ,Sileby ,Seagrave ,Willoughby ,Wysall ,Wymeswold ,Barrow ,Sileby ,Anstey ,Markfield
Jul 21st 38.4 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Anstey ,Cossington ,Rearsby ,Gaddesby ,Frisby on the wreake ,Hoby , Cossington ,Anstey ,Markfield
Jul 27th 36.6 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Newtown Linford ,Swithland ,Sileby ,Burton on the wolds ,Barrow ,Cropston ,Anstey ,Markfield

Points in this challenge 41
Points in all challenges 89

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Jul 1st , 31.5 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Botcheston ,Odstone ,Carlton ,Congerstone ,Market Bosworth ,Peckleton ,Desford ,Ratby ,Markfield
Jul 5th , 31.6 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Botcheston ,Barlestone ,Market Bosworth ,Shenton ,Upton ,Cadeby ,Desford , Botcheston ,Markfield
Jul 7th ,31.7 miles , 1 point
Markfield , Botcheston ,Odstone ,Carlton ,Congerstone ,Shenton ,Market Bosworth ,Desford , Botcheston ,Markfield
Jul 13th 31.6 miles , 1 point
Same route as the 5th
Jul 14th 37.1 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Anstey ,Cossington ,Ratcliffe on wreake ,Ragdale ,Barrow , Mountsorrel ,Cropston ,Groby ,Ratby ,Markfield
Jul 16th 31.7 miles , 1 point
Same as the 7th
Jul 20th 50.3 miles , 2 points
Markfield ,Anstey ,Sileby ,Seagrave ,Willoughby ,Wysall ,Wymeswold ,Barrow ,Sileby ,Anstey ,Markfield
Jul 21st 38.4 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Anstey ,Cossington ,Rearsby ,Gaddesby ,Frisby on the wreake ,Hoby , Cossington ,Anstey ,Markfield
Jul 27th 36.6 miles , 1 point
Markfield ,Newtown Linford ,Swithland ,Sileby ,Burton on the wolds ,Barrow ,Cropston ,Anstey ,Markfield
Jul 28th 31.6 miles , 1 point
Same route as the 5th and 13th

Points in this challenge 42
Points in all challenges 90

Cathryn

Legendary Member
January 1st!
50km. A familiar loop of Pewsey Vale starting from home just outside Marlborough. Friendly cyclists and horse riders, muddy and sometimes flooded lanes. Happy New Year everyone!
1 point

Feb 3rd
Used the same route as January because the weather was grey and murky although not cold at all. More fun than January because a friend came with me and we whizzed along talking non stop! Lovely cafe stop at Honey Street and then up and over the hill home for sofa time with the cats.

Total so far: 2 points!

March 9th
March’s 50km done! Lovely ride round the south Cotswolds…started and finished in Bibury. Stopped at Down Ampney to see the glorious stained glass!

Total so far: 3 points

March 30th
Unexpected 50k with my husband and son, making the most of the first lovely day for cycling! Took the back road from Marlborough to Hungerford to Tray’s Cafe, where I had the best cheese scone of my life!

Total so far: 4 points

April 5th
106km. Dieppe - Gisors. Lovely bike path for 50km and then rolling lanes for the remainder. Grey skies cleared into warmer weather. Much joy being back in France. +3 points.
Total so far: 7 points

April 6th
90km from Gisors to the Eiffel Tower and then out to our Airbnb at Boulougne Billancourt. The buzz of seeing the Arc de Triomphe in the distance was like a double shot of coffee. ARMS AND LEGS OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 2024. Spring! + 2 points.
Total so far: 9 points

April 10th
Exactly100km (phew) from Boulougne Billancourt to Amecourt. A day of two halves. A lovely morning and an afternoon of rolling rainstorms. Joy significantly diminished. Husband significantly grumpy. +3 points
Total so far: 12 points

April 11th
90 glorious km back to Dieppe. Sunshine. Blossom. Hares. Birds. Crepes. Marriage restored. +2 points
Total so far: 14 points

May 6th
50km loop of Pewsey Vale, my standard loop. Somehow it’s still raining and not warm. Somehow I’m still not in shorts. Stopped at the Piggery Farm Shop for coffee, flapjack and a snuggle with the lambs and piglets. +1 point

Total so far: 15 points!

May 30th
101 miles from home to London with my son! Epic day out, fabulously supported by the good people of cyclechat!

Total so far: 19 points

June 2nd

Glorious morning doing this month’s 50k. The standard Pewsey Vale loop but diverted into Devizes for church where I quietly repaired my slow puncture in the balcony during the service. Popped into the Honey Street cafe for lunch with the parents on the way home. Fabulous sunshine. Just about as lovely as cycling can be. +1 point

July 26th

Finally the summer holidays! The usual Pewsey Vale loop, which I really enjoy! Two cafe stops! Glorious! +1 point.

Points so far: 21 points

July 28th

Surprise 50k! Cycled to church and back but it was such a nice day I kept adding bits and the next thing I know, I was on 28 miles so I just kept going! + 1 point!

Points so far: 22 points

Willd

Guru
Jan - Jun 37 points

Jul 6 - 51.17 miles, 1,808ft - 2 points
Bilton, Rugby, Newbold on Avon, Old Brownsover, Brownsover, Newton, Shawell, Swinford, South Kilworth, North Kilworth, Kimcote, Gilmorton, Dunton Bassett, Broughton Astley, Primethorpe, Stoney Stanton, Elmesthorpe, Hinckley, Burbage, Wolvey, Five Ways, Shilton, Brinklow, Bretford, Lawford Heath, Cawston, home.

Jul 11 - 34.04 miles, 1,043ft - 1 point Bilton, Long Lawford, Lawford Heath, Bretford, Brinklow, Cloudesley Bush, Cross in Hand, Magna Park, Cross in Hand, Harborough Magna, Easenhall, Cathiron, Little Lawford, King's Newnham, Church Lawford, Long Lawford, home.

Jul 17 - 32.55 miles, 1,113ft - 1 point Bilton, Long Lawford, Church Lawford, Bretford, Brinklow, Withybrook, Five Ways, Wolvey, Wolvey Heath, Cloudesley Bush, Cross in Hand, Pailton, Easenhall, Cathiron, Little Lawford, King's Newnham, Church Lawford, Long Lawford, home.

Jul 28 - 31.60 miles, 1,336ft - 1 point Bilton, Dunchurch, Hillmorton, Barby, Welton, Long Buckby Wharf, Long Buckby, West Haddon, Crick, Hillmorton, Rugby, home.

Points in this challenge 42
Points in all challenges 63

steverob

Guru
January: 3 rides, 3 points
February: 1 ride, 1 point
March: 4 rides, 7 points
April: 5 rides, 10 points
May: 4 rides, 11 points

June: 4 rides, 6 points
10th July: 33.79 miles - First outdoor ride in over two weeks due to weather and laziness. Did the full Ivinghoe Aston & Beacon climb and even tried a bit of sprinting - https://www.strava.com/activities/11856536695 - 1 point
14th July: 62.23 miles - Quite an undulating route via Berko, Dunstable, Wing and Waddesdon, involving both crossing a ford and riding down a new stretch of the A41 (diverted because of HS2) - https://www.strava.com/activities/11856536695 - 3 points
21st July: 73.77 miles - Rode to Abingdon, via Oxford both on the way out and the way back (but through different parts). Eddington number now up to 65 - https://www.strava.com/activities/11944588622 - 3 points
24th July: 31.23 miles - Almost exact reverse of the route I did on 25th June. Kept getting stopped by temporary traffic lights and briefly got rained on but otherwise a fine ride - https://www.strava.com/activities/11971289057 - 1 point
28th July: 50.62 miles - A reminder to myself that tow paths and bridleways aren't always suitable terrain for road bikes, even if you do have wider tyres. Still made it through safely, although the heat told towards the end - https://www.strava.com/activities/12004078586 - 2 points

Total so far: 48 points

Last edited:
Top Bottom