The 2023 Half Century (50km or 50m) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not without 'recycling' a metric century (forgive the pun!)... The forecast is good for tomorrow so I aim to ride 50 km then.
Done! (51 km in my 42/15 gear, including the 8+ km Cragg Vale climb, and a few shorter/steeper ones.)

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Right that's it your in my bad books I mean 49.1km !!!!!! Argh . I might be on holiday but I still see everything

Well I really can't prove I didn't stop at 49.1KMS!:scratch:

Have been getting inconsitent result from Wahoo oflate. Going down an nice bit of Tarmac and one minute I'm doing 30KMHR next its 8.8. Maddening.
So was out cycling for over 3 hrs and all it recorded was 1hr 54mins of activity for 20km! Have posted the route I rode (well the last bit) and feel confident it was over 50kms based on previous rides. Full route posted on main thread.
Thought an "update" check was in order and sure enough it was.

However back on bike and still same problems. After a no of stops and rebooting; discovered the magnetic sensor on a rear spoke that swings past the sensor was not perfectly parallel to the sensor itself. Wasn't obvious to the naked eye but fiddling with it seems to have sorted the problem.

Due to travel and having fun, only managed 2 rides this month. The motivation provided by this thread, amazes me.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well I really can't prove I didn't stop at 49.1KMS!:scratch:

Have been getting inconsitent result from Wahoo oflate. Going down an nice bit of Tarmac and one minute I'm doing 30KMHR next its 8.8. Maddening.
So was out cycling for over 3 hrs and all it recorded was 1hr 54mins of activity for 20km! Have posted the route I rode (well the last bit) and feel confident it was over 50kms based on previous rides. Full route posted on main thread.
Thought an "update" check was in order and sure enough it was.

However back on bike and still same problems. After a no of stops and rebooting; discovered the magnetic sensor on a rear spoke that swings past the sensor was not perfectly parallel to the sensor itself. Wasn't obvious to the naked eye but fiddling with it seems to have sorted the problem.

Due to travel and having fun, only managed 2 rides this month. The motivation provided by this thread, amazes me.
If your happy with the distance , that's all that matters .
There are gpx tools on line which can correct corrupt data if your bother . Ive used one once but can't think of it's name . Try Google and go from there

bluenotebob

Veteran
June summary

Only 5 qualifying rides completed in June – 7 points added

Total points: 40 … but 40 points by the end of June is better than I’ve achieved before at this stage of the year.

1152km cycled in June. Always a difficult month for me, mainly because of hay-fever. The unusual June heat this year slowed me up a bit too.

6303km for the year to date …so I’m around 1250km ahead of target.

Sundry personal challenges:

All five bikes to do a minimum of 100km per month – achieved Jan/June.

All five bikes to do a minimum of 1000km per year – three of the five are now over the 1000km threshold – and the other two aren’t far behind (one on 876km, the other on 797km).

I’ve also managed to keep up my record of cycling every day this year (181 days cycled/181 days).

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
So back from holiday and have had time to update the tick list , We have 28 riders fully posted with 2 yet to declare ,both tend to be sporadic posters so hopefully where all still in
Congratulations to @AndreaJ not only the first to pass the hallway mark and post a July ride ,but also the first to post 2 rides before most of us have yet to get off the mark .
I have been off the bike for nearly 2 weeks due to developing a kidney stone while on holiday . I have done 10 miles today to see how I felt, may be next weekend before I attempt a 50km

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Rode the Maratona dles Dolomites yesterday. 138 km with a fair bit of climbing. Almost broke me. Though I trained very hard for it ( see my logged rides) on the day I felt quite unwell. Sore throat, didn't sleep, excessive nerves, difficulty fuelling. Also had mishaps with glasses (lens fell out on the Passo de Pordoi) and broke a spoke (fixed by a nice man by the side of the road. Took me over 10 hours including stops and they were packing up the event as I rolled in to the finish.
Screenshot_20230702_194841.jpg

Screenshot_20230702-194915_Strava.jpg

20230702_085227.jpg

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Chapeau @UphillSlowly , you got round that's all that's count . The scenery looks stunning ,been watching Ed Laveracks youtube about the event

Thanks. I definitely did go uphill slowly!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Got my banker in today beginning to feel a bit more normal so set out on my Wymeswold loop to see if I felt ok . Everything went ok and was surprised to still dip under 2 hrs total . Tough coming home into the headwind but it's done and dusted and I don't feel to bad

Last edited:

Spartak