Tea? (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Classic, I'm going to help you out here. Pay attention.......

Make a dense home-made fruit cake, with the fruit soaked for 24 hours beforehand, and the cake made 2 months before it's eaten. Dark sugar. You need a recipe from about 1960 or earlier. Soak it little-and-often with a decent brandy. A few days before serving make a double triple batch of marzipan from ground almonds, egg whites and caster sugar. Spread some apricot jam on the cake, and put half inch thick slabs of marzipan over the whole thing. Then, mix up some home-made Royal icing, using egg whites and glycerine, and spread liberally. Allow to dry and set. Don't decorate. Don't put it on a cake stand. Don't give any to anyone else. Simple.

The sheer puniness of chocolate cakes and lemon drizzles, Victoria sponges and coffee and walnut mean they aren't fit to appear in the same thread. They're the things you get out for guests, as you hide the fruit cake away.

Now, I want you to take a long hard look at yourself, and sort yourself out. I don't want to have to ask WD to put your cakes where they belong.

Anything there you're struggling with?

;)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Now now boys. Play nice together, or I'll have to take your toy guns away from you.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Didn't have time, I was working in Hartlebury.

We went to Bridgenorth last year for the 40's weekend.

Pass through there everytime I do a Worcester. Actually since the timetable change a year ago one of the 2 services an hour stops there. It only used to be about half a dozen per day previously.
Were you on the Hartlebury trading Estate working?

classic33

Leg End Member
Classic, I'm going to help you out here. Pay attention.......

Make a dense home-made fruit cake, with the fruit soaked for 24 hours beforehand, and the cake made 2 months before it's eaten. Dark sugar. You need a recipe from about 1960 or earlier. Soak it little-and-often with a decent brandy. A few days before serving make a double triple batch of marzipan from ground almonds, egg whites and caster sugar. Spread some apricot jam on the cake, and put half inch thick slabs of marzipan over the whole thing. Then, mix up some home-made Royal icing, using egg whites and glycerine, and spread liberally. Allow to dry and set. Don't decorate. Don't put it on a cake stand. Don't give any to anyone else. Simple.

The sheer puniness of chocolate cakes and lemon drizzles, Victoria sponges and coffee and walnut mean they aren't fit to appear in the same thread. They're the things you get out for guests, as you hide the fruit cake away.

Now, I want you to take a long hard look at yourself, and sort yourself out. I don't want to have to ask WD to put your cakes where they belong.

Anything there you're struggling with?

;)
You mean something like these? http://recipespastandpresent.org.uk/recipes/cakes.php

Although I've an Aunt that would disagree with your two month rule. Christmas cakes for next year were made last year. They only weigh around a 14lb apiece. When ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom