Tandems on French Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Boopop

Guru
With Avanti it can only go on pendolino services (so ok from London to Glasgow) but needs 2 bike reservations so 2 tickets.
In my experience, at least at Leighton Buzzard railway station you can usually ask for two bike reservations without proving you've bought any tickets. Last time I got some grief from the staff member but I said I'd done it before (this time I was just asking for one bike space), but he printed out the reservation anyway.

It's ridiculous that Avanti expect you to buy tickets for two seats on their trains if the only thing about your journey that would imply two people travelling is a larger bike, especially given that they do not charge for bike spaces. I own a tandem but several of the people I'd ride it with live several hundred miles away. I'm not going to let Avanti charge me double just so I can move a bike. I wouldn't mind paying £5-10 extra but a double fare is extortion.

When I was trying to book it, I phoned their customer services. They advised that as I would potentially block all 4 hangers, I would need to buy 4 tickets.
I told them that's absurd and they said it had come from their manager.
That is in direct contradiction to what is on their "travelling with a bike" guidance, that says 2 spaces need reserved. So I told them they were talking nonsense and finished the call.
As it happened, there was one other bike on the service and he managed to hang between mine and the wall.

Boopop

Guru
When I was trying to book it, I phoned their customer services. They advised that as I would potentially block all 4 hangers, I would need to buy 4 tickets.
I told them that's absurd and they said it had come from their manager.
That is in direct contradiction to what is on their "travelling with a bike" guidance, that says 2 spaces need reserved. So I told them they were talking nonsense and finished the call.
As it happened, there was one other bike on the service and he managed to hang between mine and the wall.

My experience of Avanti with bikes is the customer support staff care a great deal about following their bike policy, but when it gets down to brass tacks, the train staff just ask if you have a reservation, don't bother to actually check it, and then if everything fits they're satisfied.

tinywheels

Über Member
French and Spanish train apps could be of great assistance to those thinking of similar trips.
I'm just back from Cadiz, where I travelled to via train.The train service was first class and very reasonable. I went from seville to Valence in a few hours in great luxury on the return leg.
Both countries offer large discounts for older travellers so get stuck in chaps.
I saw numerous peeps with bikes so it must be a thing.

IMG-20241003-WA0008.jpeg

IMG-20241003-WA0000.jpeg

Boopop

Guru
French and Spanish train apps could be of great assistance to those thinking of similar trips.
I'm just back from Cadiz, where I travelled to via train.The train service was first class and very reasonable. I went from seville to Valence in a few hours in great luxury on the return leg.
Both countries offer large discounts for older travellers so get stuck in chaps.
I saw numerous peeps with bikes so it must be a thing.

Can you get full sized bicycles on the high speed rail in Spain? I didn't think that was an option. Currently pondering what trip to go on next year. How did you find out? Thanks!

tinywheels

Über Member
Can you get full sized bicycles on the high speed rail in Spain? I didn't think that was an option. Currently pondering what trip to go on next year. How did you find out? Thanks!

I just went from St pancreas to cadiz via Paris Barcelona cordoba seville and back. A month moochin around southern Spain basically. I used apps from Renfe, SCNF and Iryo to get around. Iryo has the best trains and service in my opinion.
If you download the apps it gives all details about what you can bring on the trains. A brompton should be no problem. I saw 4 cyclists dismantle their bikes on one platform not sure why.
The apps all worked seamlessly.
If your of a certain age big discounts are available. The Spanish oldies card was 12 euros apiece and the French one 49 if I remember correctly.

Boopop

Guru
I saw 4 cyclists dismantle their bikes on one platform not sure why.
That'll be because as I thought, full sized bikes need to be dismantled, thanks. I can and have done it before, but it makes onwards travel once you're back in France and trying to catch the ferry a bit of a hassle. That said if your bike's already packed, Eurostar is an option.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Nice Ville station, ready for a OuiGo (TGV to Paris for Euro 38)

IMG_1685.JPG

WXRG4870.JPG

)

Top Bottom