Tandems on French Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looking to ride Avenue Verte to Paris but need to get tandem back home.
I know the Channel Tunnel is out so thinking I can get train back up to Dieppe and ferry to Newhaven.
Will I be OK getting a tandem onto French local trains?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Idk but when I trained Dieppe > Paris from the ferry, the train had oodles of space and same on the way back to the ferry.
Suggest you choose a time of departure from Paris taking into account the busier travelling periods (depends on day of week and of course the ferry you're aiming for).
Think I had to change at Rouen (was time to cycle down to get pizza, having ordered ahead) heading for a 2359 ferry.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/D...d1.0985179!16s/g/124sz7787?hl=en-GB&entry=ttu
Considered a train to Rouen and ride it in (time in hand) but failed Rule #5: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/47045473

Ajax Bay

Guru
St Lazare seemed fine but agree that'd be a neat mitigation. I'd add that, from what I recall, the geometry of the doors/aisles mean manoeuvering a tandem on and off would be achievable (no first hand experience).

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Also, many French trains use hanging hooks for bikes which will not physically accommodate tandems. It may depend on how busy the train is and the attitude of the staff.

Emanresu

From that it doesn't look promising:

"How to transport your bike on a Transilien or RER train in Ile-de-France?

"Travelling in TER with an undisassembled bicycle.
"Unless explicitly stated, tandems and unfolded trailers are prohibited on board."

Have looked at this before and AFAIK the trains that run Paris - Rouen - Dieppe are TER. The OP would have to chance it and hope a temporary inability to understand 'the rules' will be overlooked and can continue their journey.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
If it were me I'd look for a one way van hire.

And now we enter the space I hate to occupy. I only cycle a tandem because my stoker is disabled. So now, if I can't take a tandem - is that logistical constraints or is it discriminatory?
Does anyone have advice on getting a tandem couriered? It is very possible that 2 Ryanair flights and a freighted bike is cheapest available option. Closely followed by ditching the tandem and buying a new/ better one once at home (morally and environmentally reprehensible/ financially astute according to ebay).

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
And now we enter the space I hate to occupy. I only cycle a tandem because my stoker is disabled. So now, if I can't take a tandem - is that logistical constraints or is it discriminatory?
Does anyone have advice on getting a tandem couriered? It is very possible that 2 Ryanair flights and a freighted bike is cheapest available option. Closely followed by ditching the tandem and buying a new/ better one once at home (morally and environmentally reprehensible/ financially astute according to ebay).

I looked at this one way for cycling to Istanbul. It seemed to be eye wateringly expensive, and you probably need to box it. Maybe France is cheaper.

KLM website says they will take tandems, though you may need to disassemble somewhat. That could be a good option.

We decided we didn't want to try disassembling and boxing in a foreign city, so instead are doing a slightly shorter route but circular.

As per above if you have a driving licence I think looking at one way hire of a van or estate car (I reckon wheels and guards off your get a tandem in an estate) is likely your best option. If not, consider KLM to return? I've no experience with French trains but would be very doubtful on that front.

Also, try the tandem club for advice, that'll be the best place.

Emanresu

This site has some interesting comments about tandems and TER.

Tandems, trailers and other 'non-standard' bikes are not permitted on TGVs or Intercites services. They are also generally banned from TERs, however we have received dozens of reports from cyclists who have used local TER services with no problems. Arrive early, be courteous and avoid peak-hour travel. Also be prepared to wait for the next service if you do happen across a conductor who won't let you on. It also may help to collapse trailers etc to make your load look as small as possible.

I've pushed my luck on Spanish Renfe trains where the onboard guard is king. Once you are on, there is very little they can do other than help you learn a few choice words in a new language. The comment about waiting for the next service is spot-on too.

It went fine.
SNCF has a bay with hangers and while the tandem didn't really fit I wasn't challenged at all.
I had to make a bike reservation and there was a bit of spiel about allowable bike dimensions, but I had clicked through before it registered and I was unable to go back. However the print out hadn't worked and I had to seek assistance from station staff who saw the bike and didn't bar an eyelid. Nor did platform staff when I wheeled through the gates to the train.

TER from Rouen to Europe was a doddle. Bike storage area was longer than the bike - although I did have to carry bike and planners down to the platform.

With Avanti it can only go on pendolino services (so ok from London to Glasgow) but needs 2 bike reservations so 2 tickets.

Top Bottom