Swansea Bay to Kinmel Bay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
We have stayed at the White Lion, breakfast is excellent, rooms are a bit dated but it is an old building. The Goat is just a pub, about a two minute walk from the Lion. The Goat you will find is very much a Welsh language pub used by locals, the Bull, just up the road the other way is more bilingual.

Enjoy your trip.

Chislenko

Veteran
does (s)he ever get a rownd in?

He does and when he is not acting or out of the show he drives a digger!

Alex321

Guru
Keep us updated.
Curious as to how the 20mph rollout is working.

Generally pretty well IME. You still get a few driving significantly above it, and there are a few times on my bike when traffic obeying it slows me down, but the majority of drivers seem to stick fairly closely to it on the roads I regularly drive or ride on.

Chislenko

Veteran
Curiously I know very little about Kinmel Bay, despite being born and raised not two mile from there!!

It was the place across the Foryd Bridge you never went to! The bridge was like a boundary you never crossed!

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Noble and true, with a heart of steel
Curiously I know very little about Kinmel Bay, despite being born and raised not two mile from there!!

It was the place across the Foryd Bridge you never went to! The bridge was like a boundary you never crossed!

That's kind of how I feel about Rhyl! Maybe we're both mistaken :biggrin:

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Thanks, O Merciless One! I'll probably drop in there, something's bound to have fallen off by then.
Me, probably, given that I'm meeting @theclaud for drinks...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Stayed there on a cycle tour last summer. All nice and friendly. There’s also an old school bike shop in Bala if you need anything at that point.

Proper old skool in there. Popped in for some glueless patches to try and repair an air bed a few months back as we were staying down the road at a campsite. Also grabbed some GT85 whilst there.

OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

In the Epic Rain of Furious Thunder, Legends create their tales.
It was a very soggy ride around the bay to Mumbles. And into a headwind, just to add to the fun. I'd thought I had plenty of time to get there and do some carbo-loading in the form of cheesy chips, before a nice isotonic beer or five.
Yeah. That didn't work out. I was standing soggily at the bar when Claudine squelched in.
And drinking began.
Claudine is a friend I don't see as often as I'd like to. We talked for hours - social inclusion, community theatre, route planning, good pubs and cafes and a million other things, all lubricated by increasingly unwise amounts of beer.
The Internet gives us the chance to cultivate relationships, friendships that aren't bound by geography.
I've got close friends all over the country, supportive, trusted, valued friends.
I've met many of them, but not all. Not yet.
After a final pint of Mango beer - it's a thing - we headed off.
Claudine lives nearby, I had 8 miles to do, in a state of extreme refreshment.
By the time I got back, I was soaked. I seem to have decided that the bike had had enough too.
44.4 km ridden today.
Bike in room Swansea.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Like tears of a unicorn lost in the rain, Chaos will triumph this day!
I got the train along the coast to Burry Port today
I wanted to ride the Coastal Path back to Llanelli.
It's a lovely route, especially with a tailwind, and my Dad and I rode it many times.
I started at the port itself, looking out across the channel to the Gower peninsula.

Burry Port Gower peninsula.jpg
I rode on, remembering the last time I'd been here, about ten years ago.
dragon.jpg
I didn't remember seeing a dragon!
I'd left my sword at home, so single combat was not attempted.
It's a perfect surface too - smooth tarmac, well looked after, with regular places to admire the view.
long and winding road.jpg Out to sea.jpg

I miss my Dad. I remember the feelings of grief, of loss, when he died.
Now, over eight years later, I have very warm, fond, happy memories of him.
For reasons, we lost contact for ten years. When we got in touch again, I was 18.
It's a rare privilege to get to know a parent twice - once as the child I was, then again as an adult.
He was a good friend, a great guy, and a good father. I told him so regularly.
Riding back to my digs in Swansea, I came across the Tennant Canal.
Unnavigated since the 1930s, it's still in water. The towpath is a bit overgrown in places.
Tennant canal flowers.jpg Obstructed path.jpg
Attempting to ride through that was a mistake, although it looks worse than it is.
ouchy.jpg
Out for dinner with my brother and sister later on.
25.8 km ridden today.

Top Bottom